+ Reply to Thread

Over 15 miles in EV mode?

Here's a review from the Toronto Star on wheels.ca:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/28497

The author states (last paragraph) that Nissan claims the battery range can do 25KM which is over 15 miles. That must be all downhill.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd123 View Post
    Here's a review from the Toronto Star on wheels.ca:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/28497

The author states (last paragraph) that Nissan claims the battery range can do 25KM which is over 15 miles. That must be all downhill.
    maybe they meant 25 km/h or 2.5 KM

Quote Originally Posted by langjie View Post
    maybe they meant 25 km/h or 2.5 KM
    There's a link for the author on wheels.ca so I sent an email to Jil McIntosh.

Her reply:

Thanks for writing!

They told me 25 km, not 2.5. I would imagine that a full 25 km would have to be with the battery pack fully charged. I did drive it quite a bit solely on the battery, but I didn't get that far.

Jil

lol, if that were the case, i don't think toyota or chevy would bother with lithium batteries (which only go from 10-20 miles fully charged).

Speculation

If what Nissan Canada told the reporter is true - might have been some misunderstanding there - then there might be some way this could be accomplished. The only way I can think of is if the entire 25 km run was on a downgrade. Then the ability to keep the vehicle in the EV mode is more a function of the computer needing to start the engine to keep the coolant and/or the emission system up to temperature than the SOC in the battery. Going downgrade the whole way would probably actually increase the battery charge, if needed, through regenerative braking. Doing the math, if a car were going the fastest speed in could in the EV mode - about 42mph - then it would take about 22 minutes to go about 25km. Maybe with a fairly warm ambient outside temperature the engine could stay in the EV mode for that long before needing to start again - but this wouldn't really be about how far the battery could drive the car.

Edit - thinking some more about it, the entire run wouldn't have to be all downhill - just enough of it to keep the battery SOC high enough to make up for level areas or mild upgrades.