+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The more hybrids on the streets, the faster the technology will catch on. I know a lot of people who would love to get one. With anything, enough people have to be willing to buy the item at a high price before the prices can begin to fall. Driving our new Prius makes me think, "Wow, this is the future."

Every little bit helps. Sure, there's plenty out there to cancel out one individual little hybrid, but from small seeds come great trees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I guess that I don't understand the point about the cost penalties. If I wasn't driving a Prius, my car of choice would be a Subaru Legacy. I need the interior space that Prius has, and I was willing to give up the AWD of the Legacy (remember, I live in the somewhat snowy Mid-Hudson Valley of New York) for doubling of the mpg and the $2,000 or so less that I had to pay for the Prius. Granted I could have bought a Honda Fit to get equivalent mileage for $8,000 less than the Prius, but - if you will excuse the pun - the stuff I need to carry won't "fit" in a Fit! 'Nuff said.

I forgot to mention!!

Does everyone remember the C.A.F.E. standards?

What happened when these were implemented, the manufacturers went on a campaign to improve gas mileage in their small cars and then offered these at discount prices! they increased the sales of the small cars enough to be able to market and sell the JUMBO SUV'S we see today. They (the manufacturers) jacked up the price of the SUV'S and then were able to afford any "penalties" imposed by the governemnt if their fleet average dipped below the standard.

What then happened, and you see the results on the road today, is that even more SUV'S are being sold, more small fuel efficient vehicles are being sold (such as the Prius) and the mid-size cars took the proverbial dump!

Overall we now use MORE fossil fuels than ever before because SUV sales are strong! All the soccer Mom's just think it is a cool way to go! And every small car sold helps another consumer purchase a SUV!

I have 43,000 miles in two years. My mpg for that is 46. I followed scheduled maintenance with one warranty fix done quickly with rental car furnished. No problem on highway driving in west Texas flat and windy. Check if your state has an effective lemon law.

Yes, but it does make a small dent. So does every decision we can make. I'm buying a new lawnmower that's electric this month and retiring my gas powered lawnmower. Keep positive and realize your image does make a difference. My very conservative brother in law just raked his leaves and asked me if I wanted them. He use to just throw them away so you never know who you might reach

Some of the things mentioned in this discussion go along with the "one person can't make a difference" mentality. It's true...one person buying a hybrid won't even make a dent. Bump that number up to 10,000, 100,000 or 1,000,000 and suddenly there's a difference. Not just in the environment, but proof that hybrid technology is catching on. Also as more people buy them, it will drive the costs down and increase the rate of hybrid technology improvements. Remember the cost of plasma TVs 5 years ago? All it took was the initial gradual accumulation of plasma purchases to slowly drive the cost down.

Those who purchased hybrids have the distinction of being the first owners to assist and aid in the progression of the hybrid automobile (r)evolution. Regardless of what people think, the facts are that hybrid technology has caught on and is making tremendous progress. At the very least, its progress will force auto manufacturers to stay honest and make their gasoline engine vehicles more efficient. So suddenly that one hybrid back in 2000-something did make a difference..

Hi,
    We had a 2005 Prius for a little over 2 years. We liked it enough that we bought 2 new 2007 Prius cars at the end of Feb.
    Not tough driving conditions here in So. Cal. HOWEVER gas is now over $3.20/gal for 87 Oct Regular.
    Cost over 50 bucks to fill the Lexus-
    Carl

How Sad clifforddouglas

Sounds like the same logic as why vote? What difference does it make? It's only one vote......

Prius??? {YES!!} Save your money! {I AM!!}

I am a happy Prius driver and love it -- the mileage beats other gas powered cars out there, it is pumping out 90% less garbage into the air, and I got a nice tax credit for it. If you drive about 15,000 miles a year, you will recoup the 'extra' cost of owning one in about 3 years. If I drive very conservatively I find I can indeed get about 55 miles per gallon. I've heard from others that on the freeway with the cruise control they got about 80 miles/gallon. I am looking forward to trying that out for myself.
    Sure there is the environmental argument or counter-argument. If everyone switched to a Prius in the U.S. (about 250 million cars) it would only solve about 3% of the total global warming problem. But there are other factors as well, one of them knowing I am giving less money to some dictator in some oily country or in the pockets of Big Oil, which is racking up obscene profits. And gas this summer might very well hit $4/gallon.
    If you live in a very cold place, it is true the battery doesn't work as well, and OEM tires leave a lot to be desired. It is still an excellent car overall.
    And in the autumn of next year the 3rd generation 2009 year Prius will have more upgrades, a bigger engine (1.8 L) and better lithium-ion batteries, resulting in possibly exceeding 100 MPG on average, as well as more trunk space. A future plug-in version will be even better.

Just wondering of it will look like the concept design such as the
    Prius-X......

When I first got my Prius 3 years ago, it was the only one in my neighborhood. People at the farmers' market often asked me about it. Now there are Priuses everywhere, and I have a running game where I count them while running errands. I almost never see fewer than 5.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I like to think at least a few folks bought them because I started the trend in my area. People think they're "cool" and start buying them.

If every single person does a couple things to help the environment -- recycle, turn off lights, drive a hybrid -- it WILL make a difference.

Back to the topic of this thread -- I have friends in Boston, MA who bought their first Prius last fall, after listening to me rave about mine for years. They reported no problems whatsoever with driving on ice and snow, and seemed quite happy with how it handled.