+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Angry

Your angry for sure about the car, maybe some counseling for the other anger issues in your life besides the car will help

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

So what? Do nothing at all? That kind of ridiculous cynicism is exactly why the environment is in trouble. Okay, so according to you, we should all sit and wait until the big corporations change everything before we even make an effort to change. I'll admit, I don't own a prius. I'm merely looking into buying one because i feel that change is something that we all have to take part in. The more we show that fuel efficiency is important to us, the more these corporate industries will realize that it is marketable. It seems that as far as a lot of you are concerned, the car manufacturers are just supposed to psychically intuit that you are all really caring, energy conserving people, without you making any concessions or compromises to your delicate sensibilities. Go get the Hummer you seem to need in order to feel powerful and let those of us who want to change our habits and make whatever difference we can discuss this like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by gwdlv View Post
    If you are buying a hybrid to save money the numbers just won't add up. The only alternative right now that is cost effective is compact flourescent bulbs. Do it for the environment not to save money.

Nevada Solar Living
    I absolutley do not agree that the only cost effective alternative is compact flourescent bulbs. And, after looking at your URL (www.nevadasolarliving.com) I don't understand how you can say that.
    When it comes to a compact flourescent bulb, you still have to pay the utility company for the energy you use. When you have a solar system, the sun creates your energy, you don't pay for it!

If you want to do something for the environment, install something solar - when you cut your dependancy on coal-generated electricity you are saving the environment twice! Not only are emissions reduced (one of the largest sources of CO2 emissions are coal-fired power plants), but you are saving the mountains - do you realize how coal is aquired?? If it is not mined, then the entire mountain top is removed!! As the coal is cleaned, it leaves behind slurry - anyone remember the Martin Co. disaster? It was a larger environmental disaster than the Exxon-Valdez oil spill that everyone remembers!!!

I apologize if I come across as angry & condecending, but my husband and I own (along with a business partner) and operate a solar design and installation company in the state of KY (www.kentuckysolarliving.com). We fight not only the cost efficiency battle every day, but also the environmental battle.
    Our business partner installed a solar water heater and saved $50 each month IMMEDIATELY!! He then installed a small 1.5KW solar PV (grid-tied) system and saved even more money! Granted, right now the savings are paying the payments for the systems, but in 3-4 years when it has paid for itself he will have free energy for the next 10-15 years. To me, that is more cost effective than a compact flourescent bulb.

Economy of Hybrids

I am in outside sales and drive about 30,000 miles per year. I live in Connecticut, where winters are not severe, like Michigan, but also are not non-existent like California. I bought a 2005 Prius in April 2005. I averaged 45 mpg driving in mixed conditions of 70-80 mph on the highway, rush hour, and city driving. Mileage was down to around 42 mpg in the winter, even below that when daytime highs went below 20 degrees. In the spring and Fall mileage went to 48 to 50 without heat or air conditioning. During the 2 years I owned it, the only maintenance besides oil changes, that needed to be done was a warranty replacement of the steering shaft -- per a recall notice. The replacement was painless, took only a couple of hours, and a replacement car was offered, but I didn't need it.

I put 45,000 miles on my Prius, and my original tires were still on the car, although the front set was in need of replacement and had just hit the wear markers. The only reasons I traded my Prius in for a Camry Hybrid were that they gave me such a good trade value, and the Prius was just a bit small when it came to hauling two or three customers around, which I frequently have to do. For those occaisions I had purchased a used Mercedes, but it only got 17 mpg, and used premium. So I sold the Mercedes, traded in my Prius and now own a 2007 Camry Hybrid, which I love.

For my situation, the economics just make sense. I drive 30 K miles per year, and the price of gas just continues to climb, especially here in Connecticut where it has not been below $3.25 for longer than a week or so in the last year. My Camry Hybrid gets 37 mpg, which is better than my Harley, and is more than adequete for hauling as many as three customers around. In fact two of my customers have now gone out and bought Camrys after riding in mine. It is also nice to know that, in my own way, I am doing the right thing environmentally speaking.

Hybrid technology simply makes sense, regardless of the type of fuel it is used with. Why shouldn't you reclaim energy whenever you coast, go down a hill or apply your brakes? Railroad engines, the most fuel efficient -- in terms of lb/miles per calorie of energy -- motorized transportation, have been using the hybrid concept for decades. I give Toyota a lot of credit for making the commitment they made with the Prius back in 1997, when all other car companies were focusing on SUVs or high performance sports cars. I believe that if it were not for Toyota, there would not be all the different Hybrid cars on the road today, and because of Toyota, nearly all car makes and models will be available with Hybrid technology by 2012.

Great thread! It's

Great thread! It's encouraging to see a variety of rationales for going hybrid...and interesting to see people thinking about it who might not have a few years ago. I stumbled into this site while surfing for info about the Prius in winter driving conditions...cold weather, snow, ice, mountain roads, etc. I'm considering studded snows on all fours for the Colorado winter, but we do have an AWD for backup, just in case. My new Prius is in transit...arriving here mid-June

The guy that wrote the

The guy that wrote the original post is close to right in my experience. After only $1700 in OEM wheels, pressure sensor valve stems, and snow tires my Prius will go with the best of them in snow.

The dealership service manager said I was the first person who had told him of Prius problems in snow. I reported my problem and the solution I implemented to Toyota. I told them this disappointed me and the vehicle should not have been sold where it snows and ices. This seemed to anger the dealership service manager. He contended that I read about the problem on blogs and then made up my scenario. Right I enjoy blowing $1700 anytime I can. It is so difficult to get rid of money these days.

I've been driving Toyota products since 1979. The company spoiled me to a very high expectation. I like this car a lot in fair weather but 3 months out of each year I need a car that can go in the snow.

I have 2007 prius. 47K

I have 2007 prius. 47K milage. Consistently getting 45 MPG, but needs to replace tyre as I will be moving from TX to north east- NY, MD area. What type can people recommend for all season tyre or snow tyre. By reading all the thread religiously I have few tyres in mind, but out of these 3 which one will be the best.

1. Michelin Hydro-edge- I learned its a good tyre but noisy or ride wont be smooth. Will it work better for snow condition?

2. Goodyear viva 2 - cost effective, you can get it in walmart. Will it work in snow condition?

3. Hankook Mileage Plus II H725 - not sure about that but seen very good review of this tyre.

Any comments???????

Hello, I am just now

Hello, I am just now replacing the Michelin Hydroedge tires that we put on our 2005 Prius. At the time of purchase I told the dealer that I really did not like the OEM tires, and he asked what tire would make me happy. So I told him I liked the Hydroedge and he put those on instead.
    Now, those tires have given us great service for 6 years and 75000 miles. Now, it is time to replace those tires, but mostly due to age, not because of treadwear.
    Oddly, this week in June 2011 it seems that Hydroedge are out of stock everywhere, so I am going to try 4 new Hankook Optimo H727.

Hello, I am just now

Hello, I am just now replacing the Michelin Hydroedge tires that we put on our 2005 Prius. At the time of purchase I told the dealer that I really did not like the OEM tires, and he asked what tire would make me happy. So I told him I liked the Hydroedge and he put those on instead.
    Now, those tires have given us great service for 6 years and 75000 miles. Now, it is time to replace those tires, but mostly due to age, not because of treadwear.
    Oddly, this week in June 2011 it seems that Hydroedge are out of stock everywhere, so I am going to try 4 new Hankook Optimo H727.

if it is not what you want

if it is not what you want you attack the speaker... this seems fair... I think snow tires are a great buy but... was that what was said... do you think read wine is the real reason the comments where made? Maybe 50,000 miles and a car they have fallen out of love with is the issue... oh Whine as in a good jewish whine... I want to go to Miami.... hahaha... That should have slaped your political correct button. Some Meat heads need to get a life... and grow a few brain cells...