+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2007 Hybrid Problem with IMA

My 2007 Civic Hybrid had 3000 miles on it when the IMA, Battery and Engine lights came on. I first checked the codes (I bought a scanner and the service manual) and found P0A3F and P15A5 showing. This pertains to the Motor Rotor Current Sensor Malfunction. When I turned off the ignition and turned it back on, the IMA and Battery lights went out but the engine light stayed on. I took it to the dealer and they looked at it. I told them the codes I found and they worked on it for awhile and couldn't reproduce the problem. It was late Saturday and they aren't open on Sunday so I told them I would be back Monday. They said Tuesday because they wanted the same technician to work on it. Okay, that sounded fair to me. Monday I talked with the Service Manager at the dealer to verify the things that I was told. He confirmed everything, so I have no problem with that. The Service Manager said they just don't have many problems with the Hybrids, so the Techs haven't seen many problems.
    After taking the car back Tuesday, they couldn't reproduce the problem but they cleared the codes and they called Honda support for help. Honda said they have seen the problem and to replace the Motor Current Sensor. But of course I would have to wait for the part. In the meantime, I did everything I could to make the problem come back. Finally, on the third day of driving around, it happened again and now it seems to be happening more often. So tomorrow it goes into the shop to replace the sensor. The only bad thing I can think of is that they have to remove the transmission to replace the sensor. I'll keep you posted on the situation. I did read in one of the forums that others have had this problem on the 2007 so there may be a common problem developing on the 2007's. Also the Service Manager said it was okay to drive the car without the IMA working (it fail safes itself). But it's not recommended for any length of time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Indeed, there have been a few occurrences of this Rotor sensor failure. The interesting part if that it appears to be unique to the 2007 models. The 2006 models have thus far not suffered from a similar issue.
    Of course, even more interesting is that fact the 2007 vehicle was assumed be remain relatively unchanged from the 2006 - except for a few minor alterations to the wiring harnesses and end-point equipment.

Let us know how it gets resolved.

Cheers;

MSantos

I've been driving Hondas for many years and never had a problem like this. It makes me think that Honda may have gotten a bad batch of sensors. It would be interesting to find out the serial numbers of others with the same problem. If the problem occurs with those manufactured at the same time, that might be a clue. My Honda is in the shop as I speak. I'll let you know the results.

Problem Fixed with IMA.....So far

I got my hybrid back after the dealer replaced the Motor Current Sensor in the IMA. So far it seems to be back to normal. I haven't driven it very much but will keep everyone informed as the mileage/time progresses.
    On a side note, it doesn't hurt to mention to the dealer that other owners have seen this same problem because of finding the info in forums like this one. The dealer seemed less skeptical of the problem that they called Honda to help with the problem and Honda verified they have seen this problem with the IMA.

Update of IMA problem on 2007 Hybrid

I have put about 700 miles on my hybrid since having the Motor Rotor Current Sensor replaced. No further problems have occurred. I recently took a road trip through the California desert between Lancaster, CA and Laughlin, NV. I got 52.5 mpg on the way there on the trip meter and 46.0 on the trip back. On the way it was more down hill (no mountains but lower in elevation) with a tailwind and on the way back it was more uphill and a headwind. When manually computing the mpg, it was about 56 mpg on the way, etc. I drive rather conservatively and I don't drive above 65 mph. Also, the tire pressure is set at 35 psi. The air temperature was in the mid 50's. I now have almost 4000 miles on the car. I think the mileage will only get better but there are many factors involved in the mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    ... Also, the tire pressure is set at 35 psi. .,..
    Awesome news Chris !! Nice to know that the sensor replacement worked out OK for you as well.

... I suspect that if you had the tire pressures a little higher your mileage would have been even better !

Say... 40 psi in the front and 38 psi in the rear tires ?

Cheers;

MSantos

Quote Originally Posted by MSantos View Post

Say... 40 psi in the front and 38 psi in the rear tires ?
    When I bought the car from the dealer, the tire pressure was actually 40 psi all the way around. I found this to be a little stiff, but I'm going to keep experimenting.....also I will be putting Mobil One 0w20 in the car. I've been using Mobil One for 20 years and with my last Honda (2000 HX) it increased the mileage by at least 10 %.

IMA Light ON - Again!

I have a 2007 Civic Hybrid bought in November 2006 with the Navigation package. I have 19K miles and the IMA and battery lights have come on three times in two weeks (the electric motor then fails to work). I've taken it to the dealer in Cary, NC and they report that Honda says to clear the error and send me on my way. I think this is ridiculous. So the lights are on again and we are going back to the dealer. Is there a recall on this problem? It sounds like multiple people are having the same issue.

Guy:

I suggest you visit another dealership so that you can have your problem properly looked at. Unfortunately, some dealerships are not worth our business not only because they may not know and care about the issue but also because they don't think of your time as valuable.

There is not formal recall on this issue because the problem was limited to a couple of monthly manufacturing streams and was contained at the Suzuka assembly line. However, the issue is well known and this dealership SD should not be wasting your time. Please PM me and I will send you a typical work order that clearly outlines the affected parts and what needs to be done to get your issue resolved. Then just show it to the next dealership you visit if it becomes necessary.

Cheers;

MSantos

Hi everyone! I recently had the exact the same problem with the IMA sensor on my 07 civic hybrid. I took my car in last wednesday, and Honda has had it with them ever since. In the process of fixing my car, the honda techs managed to damage one of my axles I am expecting a phone call from them today to pick the car up. I'm real about this because this is the first car I've purchased on my own, and after 3000 miles, a sensor and an axle have been replaced. I am tempted to trade it in for a new one given the circumstances. But if the car, as Guy has described it, has had little or no problems since the repair, then ill keep it. I have extended warranty and everything, but I didn't expect that I would have to invoke it 6 months into the car's purchase.