+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Car to hybrid conversion?

Considering how there are not many cars that are mass produced that are hybrids and how there are few hybrids that actually combine appearance with performance, i've been wondering if its possible to convert a car you already have to normal hybrid functionality. I do know its possible, however I cant find no kits, no guides or anything. Anyone knows how?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

don't bother
    not worth the price/effort

WoW an monster project!
    I suspect it's not worth the effort. I would concider converting a Hybrid to a Plug in EV though. PHEV

I have played with the idea of converting my gasoline to a hybrid also. After seeing a gasoline to electric home project, the idea of making a homebred hybrid felt out of my league. For one I suspect or guess at the minimum a 1-2 year project if you know what you are doing. If you are new to welding and electrical work, I am guessing closer to 4-6 years. I have no experience in custom fabrication nor do I have any in automotive design.

Its a nice dream project for the average want a hybrid. But I saw a posting earlier that basically said "its A LOT easier to just buy a new hybrid". I'll just keep my gasoline car around for those long road trips but a full on electric would be my go getter for the daily grind. That is what I'd prefer to have but, cost... and time is a big factor plus I have no technical knowledge on where to begin. Plus I'd like to have a guru or someone to walk me thru such a project.

Eventually, I'll be buying a Telsa Roaster instead of a NSX. Both are hot sleak cars. But of course if you can be green and still look hot, why not.

Suggestion: Get a second job with the time you'd spend on the conversion. Then you can buy the Tesla.
    Nothing beats the Tesla Roadster!

It seems easy enough with a

It seems easy enough with a kit. gm's hybrid motor is the alternator, and it flips from generating power to pushing the car. A computer thats tapped into the brake pedal switch (to learn to generate power) and the throttle (when to assist). So if there was a kit that you could just replace the alternator with a similar unit, and a computer that controls the operation of the alternator/generator, it should work on almost any car. the gm's motor is about 5 hp, vs honda/nissan/toyota which I believe is about 40 hp. In theory it still should provide gains on any car. Imagine a hybrid festiva that already gets 40 mpg!

Yes it is possible...I have

Yes it is possible...I have found only one company over the years that makes kits though you can find a local dealer by going to their website at http://www.go-ev.com/EMIS.html

If there is one vehicle out

If there is one vehicle out there on the road that owners like to keep rolling it's a Jeep. The different models go all the way back to WW2. Please tell me someone out there is making a hybrid kit to drop into a Jeep. I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport I would like to convert. Can anyone help me. If you have the answer please contact me at scubadoogary@yahoo.com

Have you looked into or

Have you looked into or considered he EMIS system from http://www.go-ev.com?

George

yo with Gas at $5.50 - $6.00

yo with Gas at $5.50 - $6.00 a gallon I think Momey would be better spent on converting my gas gusseller to a hybrid. Taking on ANOTHER EXPENSE will most definitely send me to welfare, food stamps and 3 Pt jobs ( dude... the job part I do already).