+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I have been trying to talk

I have been trying to talk to people about my idea for a sealed loop steam plant using electrode steam generation feeding a steam turbine that will make electricity to be used in an electric motor that inturn operates the car. I realize that Jaguar just put out a car using a small turbine powered car, but they are using 4 motors (one on each wheel) I wonder what happens if one of those motors fails while you are driving down the road. All the engineers I speak with start out by telling me "you can't build a perpetual machine." I am not proposing that. I am say that if al our submarines and aircraft carriers do it this way, why can we not adapt this technology to making electric cars and trucks (tractor trailers) that get a lot more out of a charge than 40miles. I know that Nissan says their Leaf will go 100miles, but if you look at the data on their website that is only obtainable if you drive 38mph, and the outside temp is between 62 and 72 degrees F, over relatively flat terrain. Any changes to these parameters adversely affect the range. What the car manufactureres will do is offer this and the volt for 26-30K and when they don't sell well, they will say, "Americans aren't interested in Electric Vehicles." As a person who drive 80miles a day to work each day I would love to have a vehicle that uses zero gas. But one that is so expensive and is only good to go to the store and back on a charge is useless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

hello all, just found this

hello all, just found this page and thought I'd chime in, I'm working on a totaly new type of turbine that will be just the thing for this setup, it looks like it will surpass anything currently available in efficiency and durability, wet steam is no problem and will use a fraction of the volume that most use today. It is the first ever bladed impulse-boundry layer hybrid turbine. It is not just another version of a tesla turbine, this is a totaly different aproach and incorporates all the best aspects of each design and does away with allmost all of there drawbacks. Patent has been filed second prototype shows promise, doing computer simulation this week to get estimate on efficiency capibilities and fine tune design perameters before next prototype is built. hope to have web page soon. If anyone is intrested I'll post test results next week. well gotta go. keep the good ideas comin'.

Another way to solve this

Another way to solve this problem is a variation on the plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. When the vehicle is charging, an electric motor would power a 3 stage air compressor which would fill a high pressure air tank. The heat of compression would heat up a low pressure water evaporator-boiler. When the temperature of this evaporator got to 200 F. the same motor would power a 2 stage steam compressor to pump pressurized steam into a steam accumulator (this would be 2/3 filled with water to store heat). This would become a pressurized boiler-thermal battery.
    When the vehicle is driven the steam compressor becomes a double expansion steam engine. The heat from condensing steam heats up the evaporator. The evaporator heats up expanding air which is flowing into the air compressor in a reverse cycle as it becomes a triple expansion air engine.
    This concept is derived from 2 old types of fireless locomotives. The compressed air locomotive, especially the Mekarski system, and the fireless steam locomotive. This could work if everything were heavily insulated to retain heat. Most of the input electrical energy could be recovered as mechanical energy. A small fuel fired superheater might be necessary.

If there is anyone out there

If there is anyone out there with an effecient steam engine that is reliable, durable and ready for use contact me and I will put your device to use. My approach and application is not for powering cars but the torque produced from your engine will make you money. Don't hesitate, if you have something that works, the time is now...contact me

Frank
    (602) 472-5925
    Frankprivacy@aol.com

If there is anyone out there

If there is anyone out there with an effecient steam engine that is reliable, durable and ready for use contact me and I will put your device to use. My approach and application is not for powering cars but the torque produced from your engine will make you money. Don't hesitate, if you have something that works, the time is now...contact me

Frank
    (602) 472-5925
    Frankprivacy@aol.com

When the forced draft was

When the forced draft was mentioned, I thought right away of forced draft furnaces that were developed decades ago. A thermostat would, when the fire would run low, trigger an electric motor (or in this case, tap a little steam from the line) which would turn a worm gear, delivering pea coal (Yes! A SOLID, not a LIQUID fuel!) to the firebox. This means even cheap wood pellets could power our cars! And...in the event of a collision, the only hazard would be the pressurized steam...

When the forced draft was

When the forced draft was mentioned, I thought right away of forced draft furnaces that were developed decades ago. A thermostat would, when the fire would run low, trigger an electric motor (or in this case, tap a little steam from the line) which would turn a worm gear, delivering pea coal (Yes! A SOLID, not a LIQUID fuel!) to the firebox. This means even cheap wood pellets could power our cars! And...in the event of a collision, the only hazard would be the pressurized steam...

Good grief! There is some

Good grief! There is some serious mis-information in this thread... At least there seems to be consensus that perpetual motion is impossible.

1. Thermo-electric materials DO exist. (Check your facts, Fact Checker) They are not very efficient but could certainly be used to harvest a little bit. It's not very cost effective though when you consider how much energy you could actually harvest. They are advancing though.

2. Electric induction motors are very efficient. 90%+ is common place. Note: this is the efficiency of the motor only - electric energy to mechanical energy.

3. Direct steam drive would still be more efficient than steam-electric hybrid. While electric motors are very efficient, why waste energy on an extra conversion process. Not to mention the extra weight and cost that batteries, motors, and generators would add.
    There is a problem though... powering the parasitic loads (A/C, radio, etc) while stopped. This could be accomplished with a battery and small alternator but I am not sure how to handle excessive "off" times. Perhaps a small steam driven alternator for that would work but it still adds to the parts and complexity. Still haven't got an elegant solution for that one.

4. Low water volume boilers will heat up in less than a minute, so let the system shut down completely. As for freezing, if the materials, shape/size of water storage and the volume of water are managed, then go ahead and let it freeze. When you fire the boiler again, it will quickly thaw back out.

5. Not enough power to "gun it" from steam? Are you kidding? A warmed up steam engine could literally twist the drive shaft in two. It's called torque and steam engines can produce more than you can handle (and at 0 rpm, unlike a ICE) Using equivalent HP ratings, a steam engine would leave a ICE in the dust off the starting line.

6. Future technology proofing with steam? You can use ANY energy source that makes heat to run a steam engine. It doesn't have to be combustible. This includes chemical reactors, electric, solar concentrators, and even nuclear (aka Rossi's ECat device... if it proves valid). Obviously though, some heat sources are better suited than others.

7. A steam trap is not required if you pipe superheated water directly to the piston chamber. It will "explode" into steam directly in the cylinder. (See the Cyclone engine) You are correct though if you are referring to a conventional steam system.

8. Air cars suck because the "pressure" in the tank drops as it is used up. Great after a refuel but gets weaker and weaker the emptier your tank gets. Also compressing air (for the fuel) is a lossy process as there is a lot of heat energy lost.

I honestly believe steam engines will be the future if the "ECat" is successful. Without something like that, I don't think steam will have enough financial incentive for the entrenched industry to get serious about it.

I'm patenting something like

I'm patenting something like that. It uses steam generated by the heat of the electric motors to run through a turbine, generating enough electricity to charge a Nissan Leaf battery by 78.8% every hour.

I would like to ear more of

I would like to ear more of what you know about steam,over the years,these has been my heart beat but not having any one who want to go in line with these vision.