+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid worthwhile for really short trips?

Most of my driving is really short trips, usually less than 10 miles. I understand that hybrids don't begin to get great mileage until they warm up. Is it worthwhile for me to trade my Volvo wagon in for a Camry hybrid? I more interested in reducing emissions than gas mileage. Any advice?

My best miles come on short trips

It is true that hybrids don't get their best mpg until they get warmed up, but that happens pretty quick in warmer weather. I get my best mpg ( i.e. 40+ on an 18 degree winter day today in 12 miles) on the shorter trips, largely because there are many chances to glide the car, to coast into stops at traffic lights, and driving at speeds of 30 - 45, where my Prius is the most fuel efficient. On warm days (50+ degrees) I was averaging 50-52 mpg on those same trips. It is definately worthwhile to trade in the Volvo. I had a Chevy Impala before I bought my Prius...loved the car, but it got half the mpg year-round the Prius currently does.

When the plug-in hybrids hit the market, those short trips may be able to run entirely on electricity. The EV1 proved that costs for electricity were about 50% or better when compared to gasoline and the overall emissions even when considering the power plant producing the electricity were lower than running gasoline alone.

One thing you can do now that often gets overlooked is not to bother turning on your interior heater when taking short trips (use your defrost dial, but select the lowest fan speed necessary to keep the windows clear). Your engine will warm up faster because the air inside your car isn't cooling the coolant circulating in your engine. Your engine will hit "closed loop" sooner and all those sensors added to your engine will begin to function normally so you can achieve the best gas mileage with your current vehicle. On really cold days, 10 miles may not even be enough for that. But, every drop counts.