+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Just spoke with the service

Just spoke with the service department and there seems to be a recall on the FEH. This recall has to do with an electrical issue and the battery. This issue apparently will cause the vehicle to lose power with no real pattern.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

There was a recall last

There was a recall last September 2007 for changing the wiring harness? connector? in the hybrid battery compartment. Something could corrode and Ford Motor company acted. There was also a reprogram/software update which causes the translation from gas to electric to become smoother.

I have a '07 FEH and also

I have a '07 FEH and also got the "stop safely now" message and the car shut down except for electric. I stoped, shut it off and restarted, everthing fine. I was away for the weekend at the time and drove ~120 miles home without any more trouble. I did take it to my dealer on that Monday, and their assessment was that the Throttle Body had gone bad and needed replacement. Fortunately that was covered under warranty. I've been driving problem free for several months now since that incident. At least my dealer was able to diagnose properly it seems.

We have a 2005 Escape Hybrid

We have a 2005 Escape Hybrid with 71,900 miles on it. About a month ago, while driving up a short hill, with the "MAX A/C" going on a hot day, the "high motor temperature" light came on. We were 2 miles from home and made it home without problems. A couple days later, while on the highway about 25 miles from home, the same thing happened, except that we were only using standard (not MAX) A/C. The "stop safely soon" light came on shortly afterwards and the engine promptly cut out. We coasted safely off the highway and waited for about 15 mintues, then restarted the engine and turned around for home. The "high motor temperature" light never went off even though we shut off ALL electircal components that we could. The engine cut out multiple times and it took us 2 hours to get home. The dealer said it was a "bad hybrid water pump" and replaced it to the tune of $630.00 and pronounced it "fixed". Guess what... its not. Now the 'high motor temperature" light comes on when using the fan (but not the A/C), or not using the fan,,,it comes on driving up hills and even along flat roads. The air filter is new, the coolant level and strength are fine. Obviously the dealer has no idea what's wrong. We're just about to trade it in because we have no desire to get soaked again by the dealer. It's basically sitting in our garage except for short local trips. Any ideas what the problem is ???

Take the FEH back to the

Take the FEH back to the dealer while the light is On. Tell them they did not fix the problem and you want the FEH scanned again at their expense to determine what the real problem is. Most dealerships warranty their work for 12 months or 12,000 miles. Notify Ford directly if they give you any trouble.

The fact that you got a overheat warning light and then "Stop Safely Now" before and after the repair tells me the computer (PCM) is shutting down the engine for what is called a fail safe mode. The fail safe mode is designed to protect the engine and electric motors from damage.

Most of us have a Scangauge II (SGII) and we can program it to locate the problem when it occurs. When the FEH cools and the Key is recycled Off and On for ten seconds the codes (DTCs) can reset clear again. That's no excuse for changing the electronics coolant pump if it was working when the dealer tested it. Nicely hold the dealers feet to the fire for not fixing the problem and charging you for it. If the dealer wants more money to repair something else ask for another problem, get any codes they find and post them here before giving them the okay to repair. I can review the codes and advise on the next step.

Good Luck

Mine is an 05 Hybrid, and

Mine is an 05 Hybrid, and twice now, after about a 15 minute drive at highway speed, the engine temp light has come on and stayed on. This is in hot weather, Florida summer.

The first time, I was able to pull off onto a small road and let the car drop into electric mode, and the light went off after a mile.

I have driven around town a great deal since then, over about a week and a half.

Today the same thing happened, but the car would not drop into electric at low speed and the light stayed on for the five miles it took me to get home.

In both cases, the Stop Engine Soon light never came on.

Anyone else have this, and any ideas what's going on? The coolant level is fine, oil recently changed, 56,000 miles on the car.

Dealer says he can't help me if the light isn't on when I bring it in.

Mine is an 05 Hybrid, and

Mine is an 05 Hybrid, and twice now, after about a 15 minute drive at highway speed, the engine temp light has come on and stayed on.

The first time, I was able to pull off onto a small road and let the car drop into electric mode, and the light went off after a mile.

I have driven around town a great deal since then, over about a week and a half.

Today the same thing happened, but the car would not drop into electric at low speed and the light stayed on for the five miles it took me to get home.

In both cases, the Stop Engine Soon light never came on.

Anyone else have this, and any ideas what's going on? The coolant level is fine, oil recently changed, 56,000 miles on the car.

Dealer says he can't help me if the light isn't on when I bring it in.

Hi Stephanie It could be

Hi Stephanie

It could be your electronics coolant pump located under the radiator. You can check to hear it running by turning the key On without starting the engine and get under the radiator to hear if it's running. This is a common problem with the FEH and expensive to repair as Ann E. paid $630.00 a few post up. Ann has other problems and the pump may have been replaced when it was good.

MY CAR DID THE SAME THING ON

MY CAR DID THE SAME THING ON THE INTERSTATE JUST CUT OUT WHILE I WAS DRIVING RPM DROPPED AND PICKED BACK UP FOR MINUTE THEN MY CAR DIED.I RESTARTED IT AND GOT BOUT HALF A MILE AND IT CUT OFF AGAIN.I HAD TO GET IT PUSED TO MY HOUSE AND I TRIED TO START IT AND IT DIDNT START. THE NEXT DAY IT STARTED AND I DROVE IT FOR ABOUT 15MINUTES WITH NO PROBLEM.I TRIED TO START IT LATER THAT DAY AND IT RAN FOR A MINUTE AND CUT OFF.NOW IT WANT STAY RUNNING AT ALL.I TOOK IT TO TWO CARSHOPS AND THE FRIST SHOP CHANGED MY FUEL REGULATOR 'FUEL FILTER AND COIL PACK AND ALSO CHECKED MY FUELPUMP.AND MY FUEL PRESSURE WAS LIKE 36-38.AND MY CAR STILL NOT RUNNING.DO ANYBODY NO WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE?

Had the infuriating "Stop

Had the infuriating "Stop safely now" happen to my 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid (86K miles) a bunch of times on a recent road trip. Took it to my local Lincoln-Mercury dealer service shop and they hooked it up to some diagnostic computer, then determined all the error codes were related to low-voltage issues (translation: not enough juice from the battery). Solution: new battery. Haven't encountered the problem since. :-)

Cost:
    Diagnostic - $120
    New battery + install: $135
    Total: $255 or so

Pray that that solves it altogether.