+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Personally, I have more important things to do with my time than spend it changing oil. It isn't exactly brain surgery. It's a good job for high-school drop-outs or mechanics-in-training. You macho mechanics are welcome to do the job yourselves though and I'm all in favor of your being able to.
    Of course, the true solution is to get rid of that nasty gasoline engine altogether, then you won't have to change the oil at all.
    The only routine maintenance required by pure EV's is changing tires (@ 25 - 50K miles) flushing fluids (brake, Power steering, and battery coolant) (@~100K miles).

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ex-EV1 driver View Post
    Personally, I have more important things to do with my time than spend it changing oil. It isn't exactly brain surgery. It's a good job for high-school drop-outs or mechanics-in-training. You macho mechanics are welcome to do the job yourselves though and I'm all in favor of your being able to.
    Of course, the true solution is to get rid of that nasty gasoline engine altogether, then you won't have to change the oil at all.
    The only routine maintenance required by pure EV's is changing tires (@ 25 - 50K miles) flushing fluids (brake, Power steering, and battery coolant) (@~100K miles).
    You really have an attitude problem.. ..Happy Motoring...
    And since your far superior to the common working man and minor service work is beneath you. I bid you Ado.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDiesel1 View Post
    You really have an attitude problem.. ..Happy Motoring...
    And since your far superior to the common working man and minor service work is beneath you. I bid you Ado.
    That is it. I've been readin' these forums for quite a while but this time I could not resist.

(Dr)Diesel: after reading your posts it is clear to me that you are the one with the attitude, do us all a favor and find another playground for your immature self. Your ego precedes you and it is not helping anyone.

AvidHY

Actually, I like a lot of what Dr. Diesel1 has to say. I like having him participate in this forum.
    Let's just all lighten up and focus on the interesting and useful stuff. When I agree with him, I usually just sit quietly but when he comes down on something, I have no qualms about offering a counter-point.
    Hopefully, He'll see that there is room for many opinions and preferences around this place.
    In this case, he seems to enjoy tinkering with cars. More power to him. Me, a long time ago, I realized that I'd rather spend my time avoiding the work.
    In the case of oil changes, it's an efficiency thing. Rather than:
    0. driving out and buying oil and filters
    1. jacking up the car
    2. dragging out my creeper
    3. dumping the oil into a tub
    4. pouring the oil from the tub into a jug
    5. pouring the new oil into the filler
    6. letting the car back down
    7. wrestling with the oil filter to get it out (the last car that I changed my own oil in - back when I was just a common working man - had the oil filter tucked up under the transaxle so it was almost impossible to reach while laying on my back)
    8. Swapping out the air filter (if needed)
    9. scrubbing the grime off of my hands
    10. driving back to the parts store and dumping the oil into the recycle

total time 1.5 hour, 1 trashed set of clothes, 3 miles driven, ~$20 worth of parts

I'd rather just:
    0. drive into Jiffy-Lube where they have a regular working guy above and one below
    1. they pour the old oil into the long necked funnel/jug
    2. pour in my selection of oil from their pull-down oil spouts
    wrestle to get the oil filter out
    3. swap out the air filter from a well-lit, standing position
    4. pay my bill
    5. drive away
    6. go back to work and put in a little extra effort so I'm more likely to get a raise.
    total time spent: 10 minutes, same clothes I wore the rest of the day (the oil-changers wear the same set of clothes all day and don't get as dirty anyway since they didn't have to roll around on the ground), 1/2 mile out of my way, and I'm now ahead of the do-it-yourself oil changing guy in line for the next promotion (not to mention, I like my job better than crawling around under a greasy car) so that while a working man, I'm the higher paid working man. Oh yes, if I spend more effort at my job (instead of wasting time responding to this forum ), I may succeed in helping get rid of the old dinosaur burning cars on the road and get us into cleaner cars that don't require so much unproductive maintenance in the first place.
    Hey, its a free country and we're all entitled to our opinions. I'm just offering my opinion/suggestions (that have worked for me) for free.
    Not Adieu Dr. Diesel, how about BonJour my friend!

Actually, I like a lot of what Dr. Diesel1 has to say. I like having him participate in this forum....
    I totally agree !!!

We're all different, but let's not forget we're all still in the same team. Insults rarely help a common cause.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quote Originally Posted by AvidHY View Post
    That is it. I've been readin' these forums for quite a while but this time I could not resist.

(Dr)Diesel: after reading your posts it is clear to me that you are the one with the attitude, do us all a favor and find another playground for your immature self. Your ego precedes you and it is not helping anyone.

AvidHY
    Thanks for adding it.... I`m not sure where you coming from with it, but it`s your right to feel how you do. So I`ll try to keep that in mind next time.
    Just because I disagree with someone else`s opinion or have a little online debate and you take someones side in the matter certainly means nothing to me. So remember what you say and don`t act like a little baby about it. I did not reply to you or ask for your opinion. But thanks for giving it freely. It`s not about what your unable to resist. I think some will find my opinion helpful.
    It`s your post that helps no one here. Thanks Again.

Caution with Dealers

I appreciate both of your comments and points of view.

I rely on dealers to service my car for better or worse. I do agree that they are profit oriented. Unfortunately I have had mixed experience with them.

I think in the future, I will want to know the specific mechanic working on my car on a first name basis and know his qualifications.

Stability and management of the dealership are secondary, but are also important.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid since 10/02 View Post
    I appreciate both of your comments and points of view.

I rely on dealers to service my car for better or worse. I do agree that they are profit oriented. Unfortunately I have had mixed experience with them.

I think in the future, I will want to know the specific mechanic working on my car on a first name basis and know his qualifications.

Stability and management of the dealership are secondary, but are also important.
    That`s a good way to handle it if your not going to do it yourself.
    It`s not really hard to request a certain tech to do the work.
    Just talk with the S/A and make sure he know`s where your at with their service and who`s working on your car. I have had customers request to have me and only me work on there cars. They can get that level of service if they are willing to wait if the tech is busy.
    Half the time the S/A will introduce you to the tech that he recommends to work on your car. It all depends on the S/A`s attitude and level of (real) customer satisfaction. Good Luck.

Rather than:
    0. driving out and buying oil and filters
    1. jacking up the car
    2. dragging out my creeper
    3. dumping the oil into a tub
    4. pouring the oil from the tub into a jug
    5. pouring the new oil into the filler
    6. letting the car back down
    7. wrestling with the oil filter to get it out (the last car that I changed my own oil in - back when I was just a common working man - had the oil filter tucked up under the transaxle so it was almost impossible to reach while laying on my back)
    8. Swapping out the air filter (if needed)
    9. scrubbing the grime off of my hands
    10. driving back to the parts store and dumping the oil into the recycle

total time 1.5 hour, 1 trashed set of clothes, 3 miles driven, ~$20 worth of parts

I'd rather just:
    0. drive into Jiffy-Lube where they have a regular working guy above and one below
    1. they pour the old oil into the long necked funnel/jug
    2. pour in my selection of oil from their pull-down oil spouts
    wrestle to get the oil filter out
    3. swap out the air filter from a well-lit, standing position
    4. pay my bill
    5. drive away
    6. go back to work and put in a little extra effort so I'm more likely to get a raise.
    total time spent: 10 minutes, same clothes I wore the rest of the day (the oil-changers wear the same set of clothes all day and don't get as dirty anyway since they didn't have to roll around on the ground), 1/2 mile out of my way, and I'm now ahead of the do-it-yourself oil changing guy in line for the next promotion (not to mention, I like my job better than crawling around under a greasy car) so that while a working man, I'm the higher paid working man. Oh yes, if I spend more effort at my job (instead of wasting time responding to this forum ), I may succeed in helping get rid of the old dinosaur burning cars on the road and get us into cleaner cars that don't require so much unproductive maintenance in the first place.
    Hey, its a free country and we're all entitled to our opinions. I'm just offering my opinion/suggestions (that have worked for me) for free.
    Not Adieu Dr. Diesel, how about BonJour my friend!
    i have gone back and forth over the years about doing oil myself or paying someone to do it.

i have to disagree with some of your points. i pick up oil / filter while out doing my regular shopping rounds so there is no added time involved. I don't make a special ttrip to buy just oil.

the best (And cleanest way) to change oil is using the "Topsider" method. This method is used for many cars (Including high end ones like Mercedes) and is also done for marine engines (Hard to change the oil while engine is on a boat in the lake).

first warm up the engine for a few minutes. it is basically a suction pump with a narrow hose that fits into the dipstick hole. you pump up the pressure, release the included valve and just watch the oil come out. it takes about 15-30 minutes depends on how much oil your car has. many new cars today have the filters on top (Which means no creepers or ramps at all). if the filter is on the bottom you may/may not be able to reach it without ramps or a creeper. in any case the only oil left is a little bit in the filter itself so you won't have a lot of stuff (if any) dripping out. add the new filter and oil and your done.

in my toyota Fj (filter on top) i can do the entire change without gloves and get NO OIL on me at all. my mercedes is almost glove free. there are o-rings on the filter stalk to replace but it is minor and only takes a minute to do.
    clean-up time can be from NONE to only a few minutes with this method.

search google for motive power extractor. you can buy the entire kit for about $50. best money you will spend. find it on amazon (see link below) or fleabay.

plus you can use this for all kinds of fluid extraction (transmission, differential etc.)

power extractor link

I had one Honda, an '81 Civic, where you simply reached in from above to unscrew the filter. Never happened again.

When I thought about changing oil on our '06 Civic Hybrid (that's as far as it's got so far ), 2 factors that came to mind were:

1. find a reasonably cheap source of 0W20.

2. take off the plastic undershield and just stow it away.

<postscript: I do follow the mainenance schedule, it's just not me under there >