+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No one has a Greeline?

So the Greenline isn't perfect. It still saves gas and isn't expensive compared to the "regular" Vue. Anyone thinking about one or waiting until the 08's?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Personally, I see the GM hybrids as being so lame I would never consider them. They're more than not perfect, they're just greenwashed junk. If you really care about getting better mileage and you're desperate to buy a compact SUV, look at real hybrids such as the FEH or HiHy. If you don't really need an SUV but still NEED a new car, look at the best hybrids on the market: the Prius or HCH. If you can live without a new car right now, don't reward the auto industry for only selling such lame excuses for ecological vehicles by letting them force this junk on you.
    Demand that they make REALLY efficient cars that don't require gasoline at all and get better than 100 mpg efficiency (like my Saturn EV1 that they took away from me and crushed).
    Certainly don't support Greenwashed Motors (GM).

Look, I'm not going to get into GM's product decisions. I'm a SAAB owner and have been biting my nails for years, now.

I like the VUE, came VERY close to buying one in 2002 (but bought a CR-V instead), and need something with space for three kids and lot's of junk. The Highlander is too expensive and the Escape is no bigger than my SAAB in the backseat (plus not on the lot at my dealer, like the GL is). Even if it's lame, it does offer an increase in fuel economy which does reduce greenhouse gases in the long term. I also like "old" Saturn, for all its flaws. I don't wanna wait for a rebadged Opel.

Ok, it sounds like you've given it some thought. That's really the important thing (my scar tissue from GM's punishment for supporting their EV1 leads me to possibly irrational backlash) overall. If you do end up with the Greenline, please keep us posted. I'd love to be wrong on this.

Saturn Hybrid Vue Owner for the past 10 weeks....

I purchased a 2007 Saturn Hybrid Vue after my 1995 Saturn SC2 with 160,000 miles on it blew a cylinder. I choose the Saturn Hybrid Vue over the Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner the Toyota Highlander for a few reasons.
    #1> I was satisfied with Saturn brand from my previous car. The last time a drove a Ford was a Ford Tempo back in college - never again.
    #2> Cost - the Vue was several thousand less than the Toyota and the Ford.
    #3> Space - the Vue was very spacious inside and had plenty of room for my two road bikes.
    #4> I love to drive. 90 miles each day to and from work. 25000+ for the year. Considering that I drive from MD to DC each day you may say how is that possible? Well, diving for me is relaxing. It gives me a chance to unwind from work and be ready when I walk in the door of my home. Strange maybe, but it works for me.

While I am trying to get a definative number of Hybrid Vue produced in the 2007 series - it seems the numbers are very low. How about 4000 Hybrids at max? According to Saturn they are selling about 700 each month and will discontinue the 2007 model after March. With that said I am a proud owner of the Vue.

There are at least 8 others
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/m...aturn-vue.html
    and a few over here:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0d7fdb/

Problems: The Vue seems to be developing a history of cruise control and electrical issues. Nothing major - but just annoying. I had to get the cruise control fixed twice at the dealership before it was resolved. It took about 5 days and one dead battery to get the issue resolved. A hassel - yes - but so is life. You deal with it and move on. Other owners have reported similar issues.

Benefits: I have documented 29.82 mpg for the first 5400 miles I have driven the Hybrid. Seems to be on the high side of the spectrum. But, how you drive a Hybrid will effect your mileage. I am a smooth operator and some may describe it as Hypermileing. I call it driving as it was intented. I can thank my Dad who set the best example of driving. 65 years with out moving violation and major accident. (Knock on Wood.)

I love my Saturn Hybrid Vue and if want to learn more - just ask me.

Well, it looks like I won't be getting a 2007 after all. Since they are discontinuing them so soon. Blah!!!!

Searching for the right hybrid

Will the 2008 Saturn Vue be available with a manual transmission and/or all-wheel or 4-wheel drive?

2007s are still out there

They may not be making them anymore, but there are 2007s still available. My dealer here in Mass found 6 he could get his hands on, and I am driving one on Saturday.

I also need lots of room, for 2 kids and lots of sports gear. I have two hockey players and one is a goalie. I am always schlepping stuff around. I couldn't go with a "true" hybrid like a Prius or Civic. Too small. I've been driving a mini-van for 10 years and I have concerns that even the Vue might be too small.

We also have an RV and tow behind it from time-to-time, so a Saturn appeals as lots of people tow them.

I work at home and most of my milage is city driving, so I should get more benefit than someone doing a lot of highway driving. My husband drives a VW Jetta TDI. I won't get near to his 50mpg highway.

I like the styling of the 2007 better than the 2008 despite the cheezy plastic panels. The 2007 has more cargo space, and is lighter overall. If all goes well with the test drive on Saturday, we will probably buy one.

Lisa

Keep your options open.....

To GreenMom:

There is no bigger fan of the Saturn Hybrid Vue then me. 15,000+ miles and a 31.44 mpg lifetime average with the last tank getting a personal best 35.09mpg and 556.6 miles on the tank.

With that said if your driving will be local you may not be able to take full advantage of the Saturn Hybrid. I find the Saturn Vue does best with 60-70% highway driving and 30-40% city driving. Keep in mind that the Saturn is not a true Hybrid like the Ford Escape (FE) and Toyota Highlander (TH) are. With the FE & TH you get electric only assist up to 40mph. With the Saturn it is gas/electric all the way.

Also, it is important to know your driving style. If you think that the Saturn Hybrid will automatically return great gas mileage you are mistaken. Smoothly acceleration, driving within the speed limits and limiting cargo will return the best mileage in combination with the Hybrid technology. This applies to all Hybrids.

Hauling a hitch, driving with a full load, and driving 70mph+ will all work against your gas mileage.

Take a test drive and keep these thoughts in mind. I wish you success in making the best decision for your situation, if it is a Saturn Vue Hybrid great.

Why a Hybrid?

I'm not buying a hybrid to save money on gas. I'm buying it because I am trying to reduce my carbon output and live greener. So mpg is not all I'm interested in; saving on emissions is also important. I'm trying to make the best decision for the environment, while still buying something that meets my family's needs.

My husband's car gets more than 50mpg highway, but it is a diesel and therefore not as "green" as a hybrid.

Beyond recycling, composting and conserving energy (by not driving, for example), it gets tougher to figure out how to make the best choice for the environment. Buying a hybrid seems like a better choice, but I am trading in a perfectly good used car for a new one that took lots of resources to build. Is it greener to buy a new Vue or keep driving my old van? Tough decisions. But it is good to know that there are people who like their Vue.

Lisa