+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You have to leave the

You have to leave the factory radio in place regardless. Your bluetooth system, and severall other controls are integrated into the JBL unit. You can purchase an aftermarket adapter that will connect your factory radio into an aftermarket car ampllifier. I did this on my 08 highlander. However, I have a gas engine, so it can easliy power up my amplifier. Hence, the question would be can a Hybrid accomadate an aftemarket amplifier?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Maybe you should wire your

Maybe you should wire your power amp for 600v AC from the engine inverter pack? 150amps at 600vAC enough for you?

I bought a 2008 package 2

I bought a 2008 package 2 because I figured an after-market radio upgrade would be better than the factory. I tried to find out if there were issues with installing after-market equipment and I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone (I got lots of different answers from various installers who all claimed that there were various issues with the Prius). I ended up doing the upgrade myself. I opted to stay with the factory head unit to keep the integrated controls and I added a new an amp and new speakers. Bottom line is that if anyone tells you that this is any different than any other car because it is a hybrid, they don't know what they are talking about or just want to charge you extra. Just make sure that the front speakers you buy will fit and that you have a wiring diagram. I found a wiring diagram in a post for a 2004/5 and it hasn't changed.

I disconected the center

I disconected the center dash speaker which seems to be the problem. Years ago some audio systems tried to put both channels into the samne speaker and thus cancelled - or muddied - out the sound from both. Toyota seems to have done this same foolishness! The result of the disconnect is a WORLD OF IMPROVEMENT.

the best way to find out is

the best way to find out is to go check it out.
    are here any models at the dealership that have that model of sound system installed?

if yes, take a couple of your favorite cd's and go check them out at the dealer.

Hi there-- sorry to be a

Hi there--

sorry to be a techn-dummy, but how do you do the disconnect of the central speakers? And if you want to go back, is that hard?

thanks
    Julia

According to 2008 diagrams,

According to 2008 diagrams, central dash speaker is screwed onto a plasic grill that is mounted in the dash with 4 plastic spring clips.

Gently pry up the speaker grill, and it will pop free. Audio cable to speaker has connector on cable. Disconnect cable from speaker, and replace speaker in the dash.

Just pop the speaker back out again if you want to re-connect it to the sound system.

Eric - I've got the same

Eric - I've got the same concern, i.e. do I keep the stock head unit and buy a new amp and speakers, or do I go after-market on the head and speakers? What's the verdict on sound quality? Does the factory head with new speaks and amp sound good?