+ Reply to Thread

VW Diesel Returning to US Market

After a break that hit right when I wanted to buy one, VW is bringing diesels back to the US market. The design looks to be fantastic and mileage ones should exceed any of the hybrids currently on the US market.
    http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1906.shtml

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

and mileage ones should exceed any of the hybrids currently on the US market
    Do you have any references to the statement?
    Thanks in advance

Such high MPG (45 city, 60 hwy) is probably very optimistic for the new engine, and it is only a rumor... Check out this thread for more discussion on the car:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=166356

I'm pretty sure those numbers were stated in miles per IMPERIAL gallon, which is larger than a US gallon (1 US Gal = 3.78 liters, 1 Imp. Gal = 4.54 liters). In which case they are very realistic. I had a Jetta TDI wagon which unfortunately my wife wrecked, with the 1.9 PD 100 hp engine. It would get just about that 60 mpg highway, 45 city per IMPERIAL gallon. The new Jetta is slightly larger and heavier, but will switch from unit injectors to common-rail injection. There are fewer mechanical losses with common rail so what the larger size will eat up, the more efficient injection will likely return.

The nice thing about the TDI is that if you drive at 65 mph, you will get the rated EPA mileage or better

Quote Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
    I'm pretty sure those numbers were stated in miles per IMPERIAL gallon, which is larger than a US gallon (1 US Gal = 3.78 liters, 1 Imp. Gal = 4.54 liters). In which case they are very realistic. I had a Jetta TDI wagon which unfortunately my wife wrecked, with the 1.9 PD 100 hp engine. It would get just about that 60 mpg highway, 45 city per IMPERIAL gallon. The new Jetta is slightly larger and heavier, but will switch from unit injectors to common-rail injection. There are fewer mechanical losses with common rail so what the larger size will eat up, the more efficient injection will likely return.

The nice thing about the TDI is that if you drive at 65 mph, you will get the rated EPA mileage or better
    C & D would not be reporting numbers in imperial gallons.

They left the US market because they could not meet EPA ULSF/Emissions testing. VW, Mercedes/ Blue tech was not ready.
    Now they can meet the standard and are back, but they have the particulate filter(heat generator) and EGR system(not good for diesel) on there vehicles.
    Current Diesel prices are higher than gas, has issue`s in cold weather with gelling and higher maintenance costs compared to a gas hybrid..02

Quote Originally Posted by DrDiesel1 View Post
    They left the US market because they could not meet EPA ULSF/Emissions testing. VW, Mercedes/ Blue tech was not ready.
    Now they can meet the standard and are back, but they have the particulate filter(heat generator) and EGR system(not good for diesel) on there vehicles.
    Current Diesel prices are higher than gas, has issue`s in cold weather with gelling and higher maintenance costs compared to a gas hybrid..02
    I would dispute your claims based on ownership experience with 3 VW diesels in a very cold climate, Quebec. Never had a fuel gelling issue. Always started in the cold. Diesel prices are lower than regular unleaded right now, but go higher in winter when the same base stock (no. 2 fuel oil) is used for heating fuel; the price averages out to about the same over the year. I have never had EGR issues. My maintenance costs are lower than many gasoline cars, my oil change interval is 16,000 km/10,000 miles. Our previous Jetta wagon, manual, unfortunately totalled, got over 50 mpg highway; our current Passat TDI, automatic does 44 mpg highway.

Plus, the markup for a diesel engine is much less than for a hybrid drivetrain. Moreover, in Canada, both diesels and hybrids qualify for a federal tax rebate.

How much?

Here's the big question: How much will the new TDI cost?

I'm guessing $27,000 (US).