+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid/Prius, where is the savings?

I commute 25,000 per year, and I drive a Honda that averages about 27 miles per gallon. My total fuel cost for the last 12 months was under $2200.

I have been reading all of the comments on the Prius, so I visited the dealership. I found one thing to be a deal killer: he said the batteries only last three years, and they cost almost $6000 to replace. So while I cut my fuel cost in half, perhaps to $1200, I must budget for an additional battery cost of $2000 per year, taking my total cost to $3200. That's $1000 more than I'm paying now.

Can the Prius owners please give me their real story?

From my perspective, I'm better off driving my non-hybrid Honda until someone figures out a better battery system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Keith, this is simply bogus information, probably from a dealer that doesn't want your business because they can't get enough Priuses.

Toyota says "Since the car went on sale in 2000, Toyota has not replaced a single battery for wear and tear." (http://www.toyota.com/about/environm...04/hybrid.html)

Additional information from the Toyota brochure.

Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner’s Warranty Information booklet for details..

That is pretty suprising to hear the dealer spread that type of misinformation. Like has already been mentioned, the shortest warranty is 8 years/ 100K miles, with the warranty in CA being 10 years/150K miles. So no one is paying $6K every 3 years. I have heard of a couple being replaced because of abuse with about the price tag of 2-3K, some of which was covered by the dealer.

What most aren't aware of, is that the battery charge is kept within a very narrow range of chage (about 40%-80%) so that is never completely full or completely empty and can much much longer than conventional batteries. I am not an expert of batteries, though, this information was provided by others who are on PriusChat.com

Everyone, thank you for your replies. I think I'm going to dive headfirst into a Hybrid this coming week.

Why ara amaericans so in love with a car that acheives 60mpg? I have a VW Golf Tdi which returns 53mpg & certainly didnt cost me $20000+. It's 9 years old this year & is worth about £2500 (or $4400). Yes I'm in england. So why can't america get cars like this? I'd love to be more eco-friendly, but can't afford to be at these prices.

American's simply don't like diesels. I think they got a bad rap earlier, and then the auto industry pushed petrol-powered vehicles. We're beginning to come around a little. One of my friends wants a New Beetle, and I keep pushing for her to get a diesel.

I think most of the diesels we see in the US are nasty dirty monsters. For the most part they are huge vehicles. The TDI is the only diesel I considered prior to purchasing a hybrid. The mpg was great, but my personal feeling was that the improved emissions and comperable mileage of the hybrid far out weighed the cost savings of the TDI.

The 2006 Prius, has an 8 year 100kmiles warranty on the batteries, a 5 year, 60k miles warranty on the drive train and 3/36k on everything else. The feds are giving a $3120 tax credit on the Prius until the MFR slls 60k vehicles, then it drops to $1500 for two quarters, then to $750. Consumer Reports rates it highest in terms of reliability and satisfaction and value retention. The batteries cost, per Toyota, $3000 to replace. If people question the savings, do the math. Toyota has a savings calculator on their site. Fun to visit.

Prius taxi driver

Have you read of the taxi driver Prius owner first generation who after putting 200,000 miles on it, Toyota gave him a new one so they could tear his apart since that was highest mileage they'd heard of. He still was using original battery. Unlike the hybrid battery, the small lead-acid battery for lights, horn, etc. in the trunk does need replacing like those in other cars.