+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

lol, I have an entire system

lol, I have an entire system during the summer. when driving on the highway, I allow myself to have the AC on until it's cool enough and I cycle on/off as needed. During gridlock, I open the windows

Wintertime is more difficult and it really killed my overall fuel efficiency to the ground

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

how come i can't get the

how come i can't get the mileage over 32.9? i coast whenever there's power in the battery. i brake long and slow and steady. i'm in socal, so weather isn't an issue. i don't even think i've turned on the AC except for one trip out to coachella last week. but i can't get it over 32.9mpg. any ideas? also, how long does the batter last when it's charged? i get it charged all the way to the top, then it drops to half-charge soon after that, then i have maybe 5-10 minutes of batter power to coast on before the gas engine kicks in again. is that normal? and is it normal that the gas engine is a bit loud and sounds like sticks hitting each other when i start the car in the morning before the hybrid system is warm enough to kick in?

wamwam, It sure don't sound

wamwam, It sure don't sound right to me. And how do you get the battery to charge "to the top" ? I never see that. My battery gage is usually around 2/3. You may be running the battery too low. Staying on battery power for up to 10 minutes will not do you any good. You need to cycle it more IMO. I can get between 36 and 42 around town pretty easily but my engine comes on quite a bit due to hills around here. If your engine is running just to charge the battery (i.e. even at idle) that will kill your mileage. The only time I have gotten mileage as bad as you is in the dead of winter, or fast (80mph) highway speeds. Don't forget the electric motor runs all the time, even when the gas engine is running, you don't need to cruise on electric to see good numbers. More important is to keep the Kw gage below the first line (around 40Kw I believe). BTW, my mileage went up considerably when the weather got a bit warmer, but that was also the time I had about 4K miles on the car. My brother swears his Nissan truck got much better after 5K miles.

hmm...interesting.

hmm...interesting. (btw...i'm wamwam...created an account now with screename 'kotoriwam', but i'm the same person as wamwam).
    the battery usually charges to the top when i do what you say i shouldn't, which is run the gas engine to charge the battery or when i'm on the highway and the gas engine is providing the primary power for the car (except of course in the dead of los angeles, when i've been known to completely empty the electric battery just idling on the 405 freeway...but that's another story). but yes, most of the time it's around 2/3.

when you say i need to cycle it more, what do recommend i do? how do i do that? basically just drive it like a normal vehicle? never run the battery all the way out before using the gas engine to recharge it? still coast as much as i can?

i will certainly work on keeping the kw gage down below the first line. that never really occurred to me. and i'm at about 3500 miles now, so we'll see what i can do to get that up. looks like i'm coming up on the 4-5k mark that seems to be a milestone in the lives of your and your brother's vehicles.

thanx so much for your input. will certainly make this happen! there is no other way!

peace,
    w

w wrote "when you say i

w wrote

"when you say i need to cycle it more, what do recommend i do? how do i do that? basically just drive it like a normal vehicle? never run the battery all the way out before using the gas engine to recharge it? still coast as much as i can?"

I only ran my battery down completely (to the lowest line on the gage) once. I was in traffic that just allowed me to stay in EV mode for quite some time. That is when I noticed the car just "takes over" control of battery management. Nothing at that point can get you back to EV mode, and I suspect that you are receiving no assistance from the electric motor at this point, so it's total ICE. I believe I have read on other forums that this is "battery depletion mode" and you want to avoid it. Now when I see that coming on, I just punch it a bit to get the ICE started, or look for a hill.

But if your just sitting in nearly stopped traffic, I can see how this may be unavoidable. I seem to get the best mileage when the battery stays between 1/3 and 2/3 charged. You may want to go over to the Ford Escape site, there are some hypermilers that know more than I do about this condition.

One more thing, you have reset the mpg counter, right? If you never reset it, it will take the average since you bought the car. Very hard to get that to move.

oh my. thanx so much for the

oh my. thanx so much for the insight. all this time i figured i was driving the sucker right, apparently i was wrong. i literally drain the battery daily trying to coast as much as i can in ev mode til' it runs down, then, yes, the gas kicks in to run the car and recharge the battery. hot damn. i'll have to change that habit. i will certainly check out the ford escape site as well.
    one thing...reset the mpg counter? nope! didn't know you can. it must be the average because i can't get the sucker to move from 32.9 no matter what i do. how do i reset that? thanx again for all your words of wisdom. i'm learning as i go. coming from a ford exploder, it's taking a bit to get used to. but still the best decision i ever made.

Oh my is right! If you never

Oh my is right! If you never reset the mpg display, that sucker will never move. Press and hold the right side button where you change the displays. I think it's the one with the dot on it.

brilliant. i did it two days

brilliant. i did it two days ago and i'm now at 35.5 mpg. had it at 36.2 for a minute, but that faded once the gas engine kicked in in the morning. but it's hovering between 35 and 36 right now, which i'm comfortable with for now. thanx so much for the info. i'd have never known you can reset that thing. chalkin' up another victory to the magic of messageboards. thanks man!