+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    That's interesting. Do you generally try to stay in a high gear until the battery runs out of charge or do you downshift at the base of a hill?
    I can see how these different driving styles could have a big effect on battery stress as suggested by MSantos. This would also account for how a CVT would force the style to the one preferred by Honda.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

mountains and manuals

Quote Originally Posted by ex-EV1 driver View Post
    That's interesting. Do you generally try to stay in a high gear until the battery runs out of charge or do you downshift at the base of a hill?
    I can see how these different driving styles could have a big effect on battery stress as suggested by MSantos. This would also account for how a CVT would force the style to the one preferred by Honda.
    I started out using the higher gear until all the available battery was used up. I eventually have gotten to the point where I drive in a lower gear (4th or 3rd, depending on grade) on long climbs, which lets the charge stay above the 1/4 mark (as low as the car lets it go, btw) and will, depending on grade, sometimes allow it to charge fully after a few miles. Sooner or later, if driving over the passes, I am going to encounter the three to seven miles of 7% grade, and then all bets are off. The batteries discharge to 1/4 and I am left with 1.3 liters of rampaging ICE power, which can necessitate 2nd gear on the steepest grades when there's two or more people in the car. Of course, going down the steep stuff on the other side pegs the instant mpg gauge, and the batteries are quickly back to full charge. Kind of a manic-depressive thing.

So much depends on the length of the hills. I have driven my 2005 over the rolling hills of eastern Nebraska and western Iowa at 75-80 mph speeds. These hills are moderately steep but typically less than a mile in length. Under those conditions leaving it in 5th gear is perfect, as the battery capacity is enough to handle the climbs and the rate of charge enough to get the juice back on the downhill side. I get better mileage in the Colorado mountains, but I suspect that's primarily because my speed is 10 to 20 miles per hour slower.

Thanks Bill042845,
    I tend to operate the same way, using all the battery, then downshifting.
    It certainly doesn't sound like you're sparing the battery at all. It's good to know you've gotten long life from the battery.

I have 2003 civic hybrid

I have 2003 civic hybrid with 115k automatic selling the ( main battery for 1200 firm. Ph# 972-746-9765

I have a 2003 Honda Civic

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. First the Batt in the rear were changed = they the dealership paid it. Now at 91,000 miles the MCM is out and they want $2600 to replace it. He also said if its not this we will check and see what else is the problem. They replaced my batt in the front which is new. He said it was dead, well of course if its not getting charged it would be dead. They it had to be changed, so for $99. plus to look at it was $319. Then the case of the MCM. Which he said its rare that it goes kaput. Which I have been reading online that lots of other cars (civics) have the same problem. I asked about a trade in and he would give me $1000 if I am lucky., with 91,000 miles. but he wants to sell me one with over 125,000 for $20,500, how can that be. I have less miles. I know they are trying to get me too trade the car in. Cause he said the MCM after installed might not work.
    What is up with Honda - are they really needs sales - is it normal to screw people over. I always had a Chevy n just thought try Honda cause of the gas prices. I was better off with the big Chevy than with Honda. My Chevy only gave me one problem. A water pump went bad after 135,000 miles. My honda had more problems. I had the motor mount changed 3 times, struts change 3 times, tie rod ends changed once, all that before 50,000 miles. The roads here in Az are smooth,no hills no bumps. -