A company doesn't spend millions on researching a vehicle like the Volt, garner a TON of public attention, and then just let the idea drift away. Whether it's called the "Volt" or something else, the technology will see the market. The sooner they hit the market, the sooner these types of vehicles can start saturating the market and the price will come down. Don't expect a cheap price upfront though. If the car comes out as is, it will be $40 to $50 grand. If GM is smart, they'll make a smaller profit to encourage more purchases and get their bulk profit in that way...but it's all about trusting the market.

Call me an optimist, but the rising price of gasoline/oil and the lower amount of development here in the states will yield the opportunities for this type of technology to gain more of a foothold in the market.

As much as I think it would be a good idea to use up the oil we have here in the states and develop the fuel cell, electric technologies...the public has a SHORT memory (i.e. we started researching fuel cells for cars back in the late 70's but stopped after oil prices plummeted).