+ Reply to Thread

Prius 2007 Touring Edition ... production stop?

Hello,

i am looking to purchase a Prius and i have been told today by my local Toyota dealer that Toyota has canceled production of the Touring edition?
    (and has not said when production will be resumed)

Does anybody have any insight whether this information is correct?

Thanks,
    Torsten.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have no information, but I just took delivery on a Touring Edition a few weeks ago, so there are definitely still some out there. Also, I paid well under MSRP, so there can't be too much of a shortage.

btw, I love it -- the handling's great.

Whats the difference?

I've seen the specs, and from my point of view, there really isnt anything different from the standard and touring versions... besides that some things that are usually part of a package are now in the touring edition...

LOL, I find it funny how they took out the backup cameras. lol.

...and the fact it costs 2000 more on the MSRP

what the hell does "touring edition" mean, I've been trying to figure out what it means.

the difference between regular and touring edition is that the touring has slightly larger wheels, a stiffer suspension and a little bigger spoiler in the back. it also comes with a lot of stuff in the basic version that only comes in higher packages in the regular model (the real price difference is about $300 at comparable option packs ... the numbering of the option packages is different, which makes it rather confusing).

i intended to buy the touring edition because of wheels and suspension, but my local toyota dealer tells me that they stopped production (permanently or temporarily?), because of some problem with the wheels.

i have no idea whether this is true or whether he simply cannot get the touring model i want, and therefore tries to push me to buy the regular one.

in the end, it does not matter that much to me whether i have the touring edition or not. i simply would like to know whether the toyota dude tells me the truth, because i would not want to buy something from him if he is actually lying to me.

t.

I think there was a thread on here that said that the touring edition suffered from brake failure.

Blah. I don't care about the touring edition, I'm happy with my basic prius. I think the higher models are equipped for buisness people and people who continously need to be in contact with other people even while driving.

who needs bluetooth?

Touring Production Stop - more info

I'm in the process of buying a 2007 prius and two separate dealers (San Francisco Toyota and City Toyota) told me that there was a touring edition production stop. Each gave conflicting reasons. One said there was a problem with the suspension that required a recall, the other said there was a problem with the wheels.

Are the other posters getting this information from these same two dealers, or are you guys from all over the USA?

The only reason I ask is that I told them I didn't want to take delivery of the car yet - that it was better for me actually to take delivery in a couple of months. So then they let me give them a $500 fully refundable deposit on a Touring Edition toyota with the colors I wanted to reserve it as soon as it came in. They said it might take a few months because "only 15% of production is of touring editions." Suddenly because I wasnt going to take one off their lot, the production stop mysteriously vanished. Or maybe it is real, but they think production will resume soon.

I don't know what to think, but based on what I experienced today, I'm beginning to think the issue is that there aren't enough being made, and dealers are trying to steer people away from them to move the basic model.

Seeing this thread has broken my heart. I decided to talk with my local dealer next week and order a Prius Touring. I only cared about the upgrade to to EU market suspension and was willing to pay the $2000 just for that. I have drived US and EU Prius and could not deal with the sloppy US Prius handling for one day after seeing the vast improvement of the other.

I know I could get a normal one and spend $2000 on aftermarket suspension items, but I really do not want to fool with the system.

If I can not get one it may just be the last straw and I will go buy my second choice vehicles, an Element or Forester.

I don't think it's stopped because I was about 90% finished with the order of a 2007 Prius... I ended up with a 2006 one with all the options I wanted. It's an amazing vehicle. I do alot of city driving but it handled itself very impressively on the highway. I would get a second opinion.

I live near Toronto, Canada - maybe things are different in the U.S.

I am pretty sure the US and Canada Prius basic have the same suspension.

I do not require a second opinion, as I have driven both the US base and EU Prius. I am not concerned about city or interstate driving, but rural roads. Those are the places the more taught suspension really is needed.

I'm new to this site, a brand new hybrid drive, and owner of a 2 1/2 week old 2007 Prius Touring Edition. I'm thankful that this site exists because I spent many hours researching positives, negatives, and concerns. Ultimately I decided that a hybrid was right for me.

Anyway, I was shopping with three dealers to purchase the prius and asked all three about any kind of production stop or recalls. Independently, all three indicated there wasn't any kind of existing problems or halts in production.

I test drove the basic prius and the touring edition. There was a definite difference in handling. The touring was more responsibe and nimble.

I've seen some forums over the internet stating that the touring edition suffers from a decrease in mpg because of the added wheel weight and tread width. However, I live in the northeast with some pretty cold temps (which I've been told can really drop mpgs) and I pull out 53 mpg to work and 46 back to home. It's a combination highway and city driving.