+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Prius in Snow

I have had my 2009 prius for

I have had my 2009 prius for 5 months and I am scared to drive it in the snow.
    I SLIP AND SLIDE ALL OVER WHEN THERE IS A LITTLE RAIN!
    I have the all weather tires, so I hope that helps, but my prius is the worst tire wise, In my 5 months I have blown 4 tires.
    I cant stand the lose of power, I have almost been plowed into everytime I try to dart out and make a turn.

On the positive side, My prius has been 103 MPH, I whip around in it all the time, I am always the fastest on the highway, going 75-80. Heads spin when I whiz past racing kids.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

We plan on driving my gf's

We plan on driving my gf's Prius to Big Bear Lake/Mountain this winter. We're from the desert in Arizona, and have never dealt with driving in snow. We're a little concerned about driving this little car up a snowy mountain when we've never had to deal with these conditions before. We also don't have snow tires, and buying them for one weekend seems pointless. Ideas? Thoughts? Would we be better off renting an SUV?

I have a 2007 Prius, and

I have a 2007 Prius, and live on the tundra of Minnesota.

The original equipment tires were awful, and just as others have reported, the car would stand still when encountering the slightest incline on icey roads.

Replacing the tires with better all-season tires helped A LOT. (I don't want to bother with snow tires, but they would be even better.)

I look forward to a Subaru hybrid, or if this car makes life too miserable, just getting the 2012 Impreza, which reportedly gets pretty good mileage...

So many issues here, but one

So many issues here, but one I have not seen discussed is perhaps the most difficult to implement but maybe the most useful. First, of course is be sensible, buy tires suitable to your area and conditions, carry a shovel and kitty litter/sand/whatever in the winter. Now, how much effort are any of you putting into talking to the public services in your town to more effectively plow/sand and salt problem areas? Most likely we all know where these are. Hills/major routes need to be hit far more often than flat residential areas. Does your town have any action plans in terms of how do we plow if "x" amount of snow is expected or is it a "one plowing pattern suits all." Two inches of snow on a flat street has far less effect than on even a relatively benign incline. Amount of oil left of earth today is less than yesterday and number of people demanding access to oil is greater today than yesterday. Prices are only going up which will drive people to smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles all of which to some degree or another have problems with snow. Prudent planning by public services can go a long way to solving these problems.

So many issues here, but one

So many issues here, but one I have not seen discussed is perhaps the most difficult to implement but maybe the most useful. First, of course is be sensible, buy tires suitable to your area and conditions, carry a shovel and kitty litter/sand/whatever in the winter. Now, how much effort are any of you putting into talking to the public services in your town to more effectively plow/sand and salt problem areas? Most likely we all know where these are. Hills/major routes need to be hit far more often than flat residential areas. Does your town have any action plans in terms of how do we plow if "x" amount of snow is expected or is it a "one plowing pattern suits all." Two inches of snow on a flat street has far less effect than on even a relatively benign incline. Amount of oil left of earth today is less than yesterday and number of people demanding access to oil is greater today than yesterday. Prices are only going up which will drive people to smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles all of which to some degree or another have problems with snow. Prudent planning by public services can go a long way to solving these problems.

I have a 2007 Prius with

I have a 2007 Prius with Goodyear Assurance tires. Does well on plowed snow and on the flats. Going up hills with 9 inches of snow, one is in trouble--might have to get studs--the dealer seems to think the Prius is great in snow--well, it is if the roads are plowed and there are no hills

According to a survey Toyota

According to a survey Toyota Prius gives the highest mpg in hybrid segment of 40 to 48 mpg.

Thanks for your honesty. I

Thanks for your honesty.
    I live in Boston and bought a Prius V. Will buy snow tires and pray for the best.
    I love the car so far.

I bought a 2004 Prius 3

I bought a 2004 Prius 3 years ago and generally- I love the car. It's a Toyota so it will run forever, it's a Prius so mileage is outstanding. But I loved the car even more before I sold my second car-an elderly 2000 Honda Accord last fall. In any depth of snow or ice or slush with careful driving the Honda just WENT, no questions asked. I only needed it a few times a year but insurance and registration were so cheap it was worth owning just for those few storms. (I'm in Seacoast NH- easy winters lately).
    The Prius can't get out of it's own way in any amount of snow, you can't so much "steer" it as "aim" it and hope for the best (if it moves at all).
    So- I still love my Prius but I love it within it's limits.. And I miss my Honda!

Fantastic beat ! I would

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted
    of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept