+ Reply to Thread

Advice on Spacious Cars?

Could I please have some advice?

My 99 9-5 Saab wagon is on its death throws. We want to get a lower emissions vehicle, but we also need a similar amount of space for my wife's work. Consumer Reports says a new 9-5 wagon gets 14/33 mpg. Saab says it has 73 cubic ft of storage space with the rear seats down.

We were trying to avoid purchasing an SUV as we do a fair amount of highway driving. Is my only option an SUV? Are there any station wagons on the horizon which would justify my continuing to glue together my wagon?

Thanks much for your help,

Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The Ford Escape Hybrid and Toyota Highlander Hybrid, like most car-based
    SUV's, are closer to cars than to trucks and offer you pretty good mileage and interior space. I would prefer if they had smaller gasoline engines and larger electrical but they still get better mileaged than your old Saab.
    The Prius isn't too bad as far as interior space goes and gets really good mileage. I highly recommend you look carefully all of the above to find out what you really need.
    Another recommendation if your space needs are rare: get a trailer hitch installed. You can either use a wheeless trailer (a box or platform that attaches to the trailer hitch - without the backing-up hassles of a wheeled trailer) or rent a trailer for those rare times when you really need to carry a lot. A rooftop carrier is another good option for rare times such as family vacations. These add-ons can increase the utility of any vehicle and enable you to optimize your vehicle for your normal driving yet be able to handle the 5% rest-of-the-time.

You can either use a wheeless trailer (a box or platform that attaches to the trailer hitch - without the backing-up hassles of a wheeled trailer) or rent a trailer for those rare times when you really need to carry a lot. A rooftop carrier is another good option for rare times such as family vacations.
    I love this idea. Especially the rooftop carrier. I'll have to look into it. My wife can carry big things. For example, she carries stands for lights (she's a photographer) which are almost 6 ft long and can be two ft wide at the base. This along with big cases for the lights and stuff for other equipment.

Prius is spacious and WAY better mpg

Quote Originally Posted by gbeb View Post
    My wife can carry big things. For example, she carries stands for lights (she's a photographer) which are almost 6 ft long and can be two ft wide at the base. This along with big cases for the lights and stuff for other equipment.
    6 feet long and 2 feet wide? Get a Prius. The rear seats fold right down, and the front seat can even fold back (with the headrest removed) to allow for the entire length of the cabin to be used for hauling. If a 10-foot long bird of paradise plant in a 15-gallon pot can fit, those little lights will be easy. You won't have to worry about damaging the leaves. Yeah, had to help a friend move not too long ago.

Go check one out and see how easy it is. also note that under the rear cargo space is a little mini-trunk where valuable equipment could be stashed out of sight easily.