+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Any Camry Hybrid MPG stories to share

I am in sales and travel all over Northern California from Bay area commuting (the worst) to Central Valley I-5 cruising and routinely get a tank average of 38.6-40.4 MPG which is right on the money as far as the figures that Toyota and the EPA report for this model. The car is new with 6,500 miles on it as of today and I have noticed that the MPG has gradually gotten better after the first 2000+ miles.

Recently, I averaged 46.4 miles per gallon in my 2007 Camry on a return trip from Reno, Nevada to the bay area in California. Granted I was well above sea level in Reno but I still had to travel over the Sierra Nevada mountains on I-80. I used premium gas, had my Pirelli tires at 40 PSI and used the cruise control as much as possible. The outside temperature was anywhere from 30 degrees in Reno to 26 through Donner Pass and warmed up to the mid forties entering the Bay area.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Disappointing

We sold our 1999 Toyota Camry and bought a new 2007 Camry hybrid in March. Since then I have filled the tank twice. I am very disappointed with the mileage we've been getting. For the first tank we got about 31-32 mpg and the second tank was worse, just short of 29 mpg. We're about 1/3 through the next tank and the display tells me we are averaging about 31 mpg so far.

I have always had good driving habits; I follow all the recommendations: accelerating and stopping slowly, anticipating changes in traffic flow as to not require rapid changes in speed, allowing the car to slow as I climb hills, etc. With past cars my mileage has always been as good or better than expected, so I don't think it's my driving habits.

We haven't even needed the AC, so I expect it will get even worse in the summer. Virtually all our driving is around town--mostly trips of no more than 5 miles. When we get on highways, it's typically for only 1-3 miles. Supposedly that's one of the advantages; the Hybrid Synergy drive is supposed to do better in town. HA!

So far my experience has been extremely disappointing. I was hoping to get at least 35 mpg.

Bikerider,
    I drive 212 miles a day--a mixture of city and hwy. I consistently avg 39 to 40 mpg with the highest mpg of 43. With the speed limit for my daily drive at 45 to 60 I drive between 54 and 64 mph. I bought the car in March. I have driven around 6800 miles. I keep a log of the amount gallons used, miles driven, the car's mpg, and the mpg that I calculate--miles/gallons. You will find that the car's mpg will be slightly higher than your own calculations, but once you avg the two out both mpgs are very close to each other. I have found that my mpg is lower until the car warms up so to speak. Mpg will be lower for short trips if the car has been sitting overnight.

2007 Camry Hybrid

My Camry has 28,000 miles on it. My wife is the primary driver and it kills me how slow she drives. We have never gotten better than 34.8 mpg all city driving and I even keep the air pressure 2lbs over recommened. I switched to a thinner oil (M1 0w-20) (used 0w20 in '07f150 picked up 2mpgover 1kmiles)and no noticable improvements. For the extra money I would have been better off buying a regular Camry. I would not recommend this car for anyone looking for a MPG saver. Lot's of road noise and hard on oils!!! 2K miles and oil is black as night. Wish wife would have kept RAV4.

1 Month Driving Impression and Results

I drive my car for outside sales here in Connecticut. I average about 600 miles per week in all types of traffic -- 70 to 80 mph on the highway, rush hour stop and go, and city streets. I bought my Camry May 3, and now have 2200 miles on it. So far my average is about 36.7 miles per gallon. The first two tanks were lower, around 35 mpg, but the last two tanks have been higher, more like 37.5 mpg, even with the air conditioner on.

I previously had a Toyota Prius, which I loved. With it I averaged over 45 mpg. When I saw somebody filling his Camry Hybrid in line at the gas station, I asked him how he liked it. He said he loved it, and that he had traded his Prius in for it, and he could not believe how much they gave him for his trade in. So the next day I went in and sure enough, they offered me over $17,000 for my Prius, which had 45,000 miles on it. How could I turn that down.

For me, since I am in and out of my car 6 to 8 hours a day, and also have customers with me periodically, the Camry's lower gas mileage is more than offset by the luxury feel, versus the spartan eco feel of the Prius. In fact, I continue to be amazed at how well Toyota has underpromised, and over-delivered with this car. I am confident that my mileage will continue to be at least 36.5 mpg, if not higher, yet I have the luxury and performance of cars getting almost 1/2 that.

My first 3 cars were Volkswagons (73 Bug, 86 Golf, 89 Jetta) and all were very good cars. I have owned Chevy's (Lumina and Malibu), Mercedes (S320 and 420SEL) and a Ford Focus. No car manufacturer has consistently delivered like Toyota. I have had 2000 Camrys (a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl), a 2005 Prius, and now the 2007 Cary Hybrid. I used to laugh at the Toyota commercials that had the line "Oh what a feeling"., but after driving Toyotas for 9 years now, I really have to say that no other car brand has given me the feeling of quality and owner satisfaction that Toyota has.

Poor milage?

Hybrid Norcal:

Boy, I found your post quite discouraging! I am driving a 2006 Camry hybrid, also live in the Bay Area, commuting from Alameda to Pleasanton and rarely get more than 36 MPG unless I am extremely careful with my starting/accelerating etc. Even then, I rarely can get 38 MGP. I figured this was because of the hills in the Bay Area, yet here you are getting MUCh better milage. I wonder if I got a lemon?!
    I have tried increasing tire pressure and high octane gas, but neither seemed to make a difference. I am using the tires that came with the car. What "premium" gas are you using? I'll give anything a try!

Spencer Gross

Averaging 36

I have had my Camry for 10 months and average 36 mpg. I find I get better mileage coming home from work (25 mile trip) rather than to work. To work is more uphill and around corners. Home I do much coasting. We get better gas mileage on trips, amazingly, and the car mpg gauge was once up to 42. The gauge is always higher than actual. This winter the mileage dipped slightly (about 1 mpg) when it was colder (at least cold for So Calif). I have a spreadsheet with all gas purchases and the overall average is 36. That is still twice what I was getting.

I have a 2008 TCH and have almost 2k miles on it now. Living in Tucson AZ (northeast) I have 99% "town" (not really what I'd call city) driving. The street layout has large city blocks (1/2 mile long at times between lights)and speed limits of 35, 40 and 45.

Mostly 40mph.

I've only been on the highway once to test for front seat vibration. None so far....

First tank was 34.9 then 36.4 then 37.1 and now holding at 38.6. Im getting just over 500 miles to a tank.. I wait for the low fuel lite to come on before filling up.

To get 38MPG here I have to be very careful to use the electric motor as much as possible. I get up to 40MPH quickly (using the gas motor) and let off the gas and let the traction motor hold that speed by just pressing the gas slightly till the next light. (The arrow in the display shows if your using the electric power) If you go over 40-42mph the gas motor kicks in. With most of the speed limits being 40... I get passed alot only going 40 but the mileage is worth it.

When going up hills on longer roads at the 45mph speed limits I set the cruise control at 50 so I don't look like a grandma. (I can't go 40 in a 45mph zone....) since the gas engine is going to run anyway I'll go a little quicker and mileage wont be affected much.

If your commute (like mine) is consistent you will be able to "memorize" when to accelerate when to let off and when to set the cruise control rather quickly and you will reap the benefits.

If you just want to jump in and "drive the thing" you'll get 31-33 mpg and be a happy camper too. If your doing worse than that or hate trying to get better mileage, it's time to trade it in for a Non-Hybrid Camry XLE. You'll get top dollar for the trade and save yourself a lot of stress.

My humble opion

Scott

had 2008 tch about three

had 2008 tch about three weeks. 1700 miles.

the displayed (computed) mpg seems to be a bit above actual, but more 'honest' than other vehicles i have experienced.

we are in flatland, but it can be windy.. at 55-60 mph, we get +/- 40 mpg.. at 70mph, 35mpg.. at 75mph, 30mpg.. not too shabby.

seems to me i heard or read that the hybrid system, vis-a-vis straight internal combustion engine, really shines in city driving rather than in long trips at speed.. this because of the energy recovered from braking, and energy not wasted while standing still.

dont know what that means for mountain driving, but i would think the hybrid would do noticeably better in mountains than straight i.c. engine.

it is NICE to silently wait at stop lights with the engine shut off.

Camry is great on millage if

Camry is great on millage if it runs.

My transmission failed once then the new one was put in wrong and I started getting DIAG lights.

This car is a peice of junk. I will never buy a Japanese car again.