+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by priusgirl View Post
    Okay, I just got my Prius. What type of gas do you recommend for best mileage - regular, plus or premium?

Does it really make a difference?

Angela
    Regular is better than Premium. I'd been pretty lucky with some of the cheap brands (Walmart sells gas in Texas), but I know a few people recommend shell.

Might want to check out:
    www.cleanMPG.com - Questions about MPG.
    www.priuschat.com - Questions about the Prius.
    www.greenhybrid.com - Questions about Hybrids.

-Dan <11011011>

Average MPG current tank = 66.8

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Got 2001 and 2007

I'm new to this forum but not new to Prius'. Bought a 2001 in Sept.2000. Had to get in line on the net. Still have the car and it has 91000 miles. I live in San Diego East County up in the mountains. It's actually my wifes car and she is a pretty good driver for a old gal. lol
    We drive mostly freeway 65/70 mph. We love Cruise Control and have averaged 43/45 mpg. Just put the car in Auto Trader today.
    Only have 100 miles on the 2007 we bought yesterday. Looks like it may take a while to break in, but the overall ride and comfort is much better than the smaller 2001.
    I will try and keep you posted on the 2007 results.

my MPG

Total: 6037 Miles; 146 Gallons; 41.34 Miles/Gall; 5.7 L/100km

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Compared to my other car Nissan Sentra, assuming 32miles/gallon (7.34 L/100km). I assume 32 MPG for the Sentra because I get practically 28 MPG in the city and 38 MPG on interstate with it.

For the same 6037Miles the Sentra would burn 188.7 Gallons.

Saving: Difference 42.61 gallons or 29% more compared to the Prius.
    42.61 times 2.5$/G = 106.53 $
    Approximately 100$/6000mi.

Given the above data and assumptions I will save 1 000$ after 60 000 miles
    and 3 000$ after 180 000 miles.

If we do mot count the pleasure to drive Prius we need more expensive gasoline to get economical
    efficiency or some $ incentive for the cleaner air.

Our president George W. Bush wants to lower the nation's average MPG by 20% in the next 10 years. I already got 30% in one day by buying Prius; and this 30% is compared to 32 MPG, not to 22 MPG.

21k miles and averaging 53.5MPG

Pulse and glide

I found this article after doing a quick online search:
    http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...seandglide.htm

Glenn

2001 prius

70K total miles. 43 winter, 53 summer indicated mpg.

13K miles total, 49.4MPG average current.

Oddly I used to have much better mileage before. Took it on a 2000 mile trip in Jan 07. Was averaging 51.5MPG before the trip. 43MPG during the trip (of course, highway, 75-80 MPH all the way through) and could not get it up in 45+MPG range after the trip up until maybe two weeks ago. Has been through two services since then, no abnormalities have been found.

Cheers,
    D~
    Prius blog

Pulse & Glide - a fancier name for simple Coast?

Quote Originally Posted by vgschoonover View Post
    I found this article after doing a quick online search:
    http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...seandglide.htm

Glenn
    I don't get the whole point of this pulse and glide technique. I read it back and forth - what they suggest is just to get the vehicle up to a certain speed and then let it coast. They even say "to make it not use the battery".

Well, first of all, you don't need a hybrid vehicle for that, you can do just fine with a stick shift one. Well, Prius' 0.26 aerodynamic drag coefficient helps to coast longer, but if the road conditions would allow, you could do it with any (stick shift) vehicle - get up to speed - disengage the clutch - slow down - engage, get up to speed - and so forth.

Wouldn't that be great if they did it using the battery so they can maintain normal speeds throughout the trip? Well, of course Prius would not let you drain the battery below maybe 60% of the full charge (I have a mini-rant about the battery indicator on my blog). But even those 40% the computer tries to replenish all the time, very often in less-than-perfect conditions energy-wise. Like, you are going up a small hill (that does not require the electrical motor to kick in) and it would start charging the battery although you still need the ICE torque to get to the top. It feels like you can get some extra mileage out of a Prius by just tweaking the on board computer to not charge at wrong times (or manually override it)

Cheers,
    D~
    Prius Blog

Today's Hybrids can't allow the computer to enable pulse-and-glide performance because they don't have enough batteries in them and their electric drivetrain can't handle the whole driving load above about 35 MPH.
    Hopefully, serial hybrids such as the Chevrolet Volt, if it ever comes out, will be able to do exactly what you describe.

62.1 Mpg

I'm getting over 700 miles per tank of gas.

Last tank:

711 miles; 62.1 mpg; odometer: 20,000

2006 Prius