+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PUlse and glide

Netshooper, Pulse and glide is a gentle way of driving that gets you better mileage. I use it when I can but I'm obviously not the best at it.

This page has a better description.

2004 Prius, 35k mi, 43-45 mpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

To Netshooper
    home>gas mileage>gas saving tips>toyota prius
    On the home page of this site there is a menu in the upper left quadrant.
    Click on gas mileage then on gas saving tips and finally on tips for the toyota prius. There is a very good explanation of pulse and glide as well as other useful tips.

2006 Pruis

Purchased 5/06 we have a little over 9000 miles at this time the mpg has been over 50 mpg love this car to bad gm and Ford lost out. Toyota is #1 in my book. I live in WI so have a mix of weather.

Pulse & Glide, etc

Good description of pulse and glide, and other techniques here:

http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-saving...ota-prius.html

I wish the cold weather would stop soon

Its killing my MPG. Hovering around 45-50 now, with almost 15k miles.

I am averaging about 53 MPG and have about 25k miles. As I learn how to drive the car better my MPG is increasing (1st yr 51, 2nd yr 58).
    http://tadashi.priuschat.com/Fuel_Economy.htm

The spreadsheet can be downloaded from http://tadashi.priuschat.com

Odometer = 1813, this tank = 58.9 mpg. Lifetime = 48 mpg.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstolzer View Post
    I have been driving our 07 prius for a week now and am only getting 35mpg on average. I have been driving about 20mi roundtrip to town each day and the rest of the miles are just short trips around town. I have been trying to be as gentle as possible with starts and stops and watch the screen so as to keep the gas engine off as much as I can. Why am I getting such poor gas mileage?
    I agree with wholigan this is a good explanation of how to better your MPG. My personal experience is to do the following:

1) choose a route where people easily pass you. Hard to drive will when people tailgate

2) Pump up your tires.

3) The Prius spends the first 10-20 minutes burning gas to heat the catalytic converter. During that time I shift into Neutral when I'm not accelerating.

4) Learning the best way to accelerate can save a ton of gas... I'm still learning.

5) When on the Highway go as slow as you possibly can and switch to the consumption screen. Try to keep the MPG bar between 50-80mpg (keep it at 50 going up a hill and below 80 on your way down). That's called driving with load and can save a good deal of gas on the highway.

6) Try to avoid driving if your not going to have the car on for at least 30 minutes.

7) On road trips follow 18 wheelers (at safe distance ) and you'll pick up about 10mpg. You should feel a shudder when you get into their wake. Then the mpg should jump.

8) I suspect (although can't prove) that the control computer (ECU) will learn during the breakin so beyond a mechanical breakin, there is also a computer breakin (perhaps?). I've heard of people taking a huge hit in mileage if they replace their ECU.

9) Set your spedo to km/h instead of mph, you'll improve your mpg by 1 or 2 mpg.

Average MPG current tank = 58.9

2000 miles on my 2007 prius and 44 mpg. It's slightly getting better as I become more conscience of my driving habits.

'05 w/ over 86,000 Miles....

Hello everyone, I'm new to hybridcars.com and hope to be able to share my experience with many, many miles on my 2005 Prius. In the 2 years 2 months since I bought my car, I've put just over 86,000 miles on it. I'm a sales rep and on the road every day. I LOVE my Prius and can't imagine driving any other car. During the cooler Northern California winter months I get about 46/47 MPG and now that it's warming up I'll get closer to 50MPG. I haven't even pumped up the tires, but plan to do that with my next set (which will be in the next month or so). I do drive mostly on the freeway and am pretty good at coasting. And no, I don't drive like a snail, I usually do 70/75 mph.

What type of Gas is Best?

Okay, I just got my Prius. What type of gas do you recommend for best mileage - regular, plus or premium?

Does it really make a difference?

Angela