+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Post your current Odometer and your MPG here!!

Also what techniques you use to get your MPG as well as tips for the others!!

the1trigger - 11k miles 50.8 MPG -- I use pulse and glide, I love it!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

mileage

i literally bought the car wednesday night and on friday morning drove it from st louis to st simons island georgia. it broke it in on the road. got 48 mpg but as you say i have read you get better when the new car smell is gone

I've had a 2005 Prius since August 2005 and have averaged 46 mpg. I have gotten as high as 51.3 (summer) and as low as 43.8 (winter).

Love this car, it's comfort, great gas mileage, and power in mountain driving.

34MPG on first tank

Got my new 2007 Touring Edition on Dec 16th, and refilled the tank for the first time yesterday. 8.9 gallons put it full again, but 302 miles were on the odometer. So not quite 35 mpg on the only measure that really counts.

I guess it will take a while to get the mileage into the 40s or beyond.

50k, between 45 and 49 mpg

Sprague, it must be the new touring edition that's so horrible on mileage. My first tank was actually my best, way back in 2004, 51 mpg. Here are some things I've noticed that might help:

Short trips hurt mpg. Don't know why, but if I have a week when I don't do any long (over 10 mile) trips, my mpg can easily drop by 3 to 5.

Mild weather is good. Really cold and really hot weather sap the mileage.

Hills make a difference--don't try to speed up when you're going uphiil, and if it's safe try to let the downhill go without braking. Depends on your drive, though, and of course don't do that if there's lots of traffic.

Um, what else? My best tanks have been those on long highway trips with gentle hills. And don't drive like a teenager.

2007 Prius

850 miles on the odometer. So far averaging 47 mpg. Mostly freeway driving.

Hoping it goes up when it is broken it.

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by the1trigger View Post
    Also what techniques you use to get your MPG as well as tips for the others!!

the1trigger - 11k miles 50.8 MPG -- I use pulse and glide, I love it!!
    I have been driving our 07 prius for a week now and am only getting 35mpg on average. I have been driving about 20mi roundtrip to town each day and the rest of the miles are just short trips around town. I have been trying to be as gentle as possible with starts and stops and watch the screen so as to keep the gas engine off as much as I can. Why am I getting such poor gas mileage? The service dept at the dealership has told me that the cold weather is to blame and that perhaps I should try a different kind of gas.
    I have been trying to get it to glide but seem only to be able for brief periods, and I don't know what pulse is. Can you offer some advice?

Mileage going down - but so is the weather

I'm currently at just under 700 on a 2007 base Prius. I was getting an average of 48-50mpg overall during our unnaturally warm winter weather (temps in the 40-60 range). Now that a bit of real winter has arrived (highs in the upper 20's to 30, lows in the upper teens to 20's) it has gone down considerably - 38-40mpg average. Can definately see how extra use of power options - defroster, rear window defogger, etc and increased warm-up time has affected mileage. Not that I'm complaining, my last car averaged only 19-21, at best, in the same weather. Can't wait for the spring warm up to see what I can get when temps are in the 60's to 70's!

All cars do worse in the cold - and the heat

Sorry to double post, just saw the question about poor mileage. Even a hybrid system uses an ICE, and all gasoline engines get far lower mpg in cold weather, especially when temps get down to the 20's or lower. I could coax 26-30 overall mpg out of my Chevy Impala during the spring and fall months. On a cold winter day I was lucky to get 19-22mpg over the same routes.

Summer driving stayed pretty high on the highway, but when the air conditioner came on, I lost 3-5 mpg average. Hybrids always do better than pure ICE's but they are prone to the same factors. The winter blends aren't very helpful either.

What is pulse and glide?

I am a newbe.