+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

TomC rules!!!

Even smarter than i thought!

Now for those of us so lazy as to want to avoid looking stuff up in the manual (smartkey lovers, after all, not exactly the kind of go-getters who reach for keys), or for others who may have spilled something on the manual and made it less than readable (tailgating is hell on manuals--they are usually parked in the glovebox right next to the napkins), could you please please please summarize the directions for us here????

There is no little smiley person on knees begging or i would put one here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I absolutely love the keys! The only drawback is the hurricanes and that long bridge to get there....but all things considered a few margaritas when you get there takes care of that! Now that's smart!

Happy Hump Day!

Crybrid

Smartkey story

My first day with my new Camry Hybrid and I was trying to figure out the Smartkey system. My son ran across the road with the key. The trunk still opened. So did the doors. Read the manual over and over. Finally figured out the problem. I just drove home from the dealership. So my spare key WAS IN THE CAR. So, it always allowed opening.

Anyway, now that I'm used to the Smartkey system, I think it's pretty cool. My son does too. Like others, I'm so used to not fumbling for my keys or phone that I expect to just walk in to my front door and have it open automatically. You get used to good things fast.

Not that I can't wait for winter (I live in Toronto), but it'll be great in winter when I don't have to take my keys or phone out of my pocket to lock or unlock the doors or trunk or to make or receive phonecalls.

I doubt the interference the manual is talking about is anything more than CYA stuff too. My mom has a pacemaker so I was worried about that too. And I think the diagrams in the manual show that the activation area is very small - not usually where the front door would be so close to the car. It's easy enough to test out.

Here's the

Here's the procedure:

CHANGING THE DOORS TO BE UNLOCKED

Each time you push the lock button
    together with the panic button on the
    smart key for about 5 seconds with the
    hybrid system off, the setting for door
    unlocking will change as follows:

1. Driverís door unlocking mode: If you
    perform smart unlocking operation on
    the driverís door, it will unlock. Performing
    unlocking operation on the
    front passengerís door or back door
    will unlock all the doors. When the
    system switches to this mode, one
    beep sounds inside the vehicle and two
    beeps sound three times.

2. All doors unlocking mode: Performing
    smart unlocking operation on either
    front door or back door will unlock all
    the doors. When the system switches
    to this mode, one beep sounds inside
    the vehicle and two beeps sound twice.

3. Single door unlocking mode: The
    driverís door or back door on which
    you perform smart unlocking operation
    will unlock. However, performing unlocking
    operation on the front passengerís
    door will unlock all the doors.
    When the system switches to this
    mode, one beep sounds inside the vehicle
    and two beeps sound once.

My Camery has constant key

My Camery has constant key problems.

I dont think I will ever get anohter Toyota again they are not well built like they used to be.

Karen

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid.

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid. The other day I forgot to turn the car off when I parked. Four hours later I was outside and noticed the car was still on. The smartkey was about 40 feet away from the car. I asked the service guy at the local Toyota dearlership about this, as I thought the car should have shut off on its own with the smartkey being so far away. Toyota said the the car would have continued to run until it either ran out of gas or someone shut it off. Someone could have gotten in the car and driven off and the car would have continued to run until they shut it off. Once shut off they would not have been able to restart it because they would not have the smart key. I don't like their answer to this. I assume the service rep knows what they are talking about. Just wanted to share this little bit of info.

actually, if you step out of

actually, if you step out of the car with the car still running and the keyfob is on you, you should be hearing a beeping sound from out side of the car tlling you that the car is running and the fob is outside of the vehicle.

if the car automatically shut down every time you walk out with the fob, them you will not be able to warm up the car on freezing winter mornings and run back inside without leaving the fob in the car itself.

with any human invention, there is always some drawback but the benefits usually outwiegh them. same here with the smartkey, it is really convinient but it is not perfect.

I wish the alert 'beeping'

I wish the alert 'beeping' to let you know you've left the keyfob in the car or the car on were just a little louder, though. If you're in a high-traffic area, or hard of hearing, they can be difficult to hear.

One solution, though, is to use a Club and lock it to the steering wheel every time you leave. Even if you accidentally leave the car on, a potential thief probably will see the club and move on before they notice! The quietness of the motor is a little freaky.

I have a 2005 prius w/smart

I have a 2005 prius w/smart key...all of a sudden the driver's door smart option does not work anymore...all the other doors work fine, what could be the problem? Thanks

I never forget to turn my 08

I never forget to turn my 08 TCH off because I love to see it say "Excellent!" at the end of my trip! :-)