+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Car going into dealer for

Car going into dealer for 3rd visit for "P" not working notice on center screen and triangle warning in dash. It was on and off 5-6 times every 10 miles Sunday. Wouldn't be so distracting if it just stayed on. Yes, it was damp out and went away after a dry period. Dealer asked if I was driving over 55 when it happened (yes I was), I cannot even guess why that is pertinent. Some mornings it comes on when we just are starting to leave the driveway.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Ed have you tough about

Ed have you tough about finding independent shop that repairs hybrids? As a shop owner/ Tech I know I am more inclined to spend the time on a vehicle that has a problem like this that the dealer is at times . Also sometimes we have seen maybe seen other problems with the older vehicles due to the natural age progression of vehicle trough their doors and ours

I have a 2001 prius. It has

I have a 2001 prius. It has the red triangle of death. So brought it to the dealer. They wanted 3K to replace the main battery. They did give me the cells that were bad. I bought the car for 2500 so no point in that type of cost. I bought the video on how to rebuild the hybrid battery. I have pulled it, checked the cells (all are above 4.0) and cleaned all of the posts, terminals and bus bars. I put it all back together. Still has the triangle. I saw that there were no (e's) being made on the car. So I pulled the power inverter, and installed a low mileage one. Now the car still has the triangle of death, and the car will start for about 5 seconds. Then the gas engine stops and only the electric motor will work. ANYONE have ANY ideas that have worked! PLEASE>>>>> I am at my wits end and my wife is with me... Help me save my marriage!

Joyce, If you hear 3 beeps

Joyce, If you hear 3 beeps after you leave the Prius and close the driver's door it is telling you that you didn't push the power button off. If the display where you see mph and other stuff is showing it should go off. If your display is blank and doesn't show while you are driving it probably is the brightness control by the power windows if you have it. As you probably know the power button is the same one as the one you use to start the car. Don't mistake the P button for the power switch since both have to be turned off when you leave the car. Toyota bad press is a fallacy. The person that complained was alleged to be in debt by $7,000 for the Prius and $700,000 for other debt. The best brains in the country stated there is nothing wrong with Toyota's brakes. Today's cars are so advanced that you need mechanics that have an IQ of 160 and nobody with that kind of IQ will work repairing cars.

My 2006 Prius is having the

My 2006 Prius is having the same issues. Several times now I've found my car would not start after work. The car unlocks fine, but the computer won't boot up when I hit the start button. A jump start (after a call to AAA) always gets it going again. I suspect the 12V battery just needs to be replaced. I've noticed over the last year that sometimes the car wouldn't start correctly. It would get into this kind of half activated state but then would not shut off unless I held the button a long time. But I could never reproduce it for a mechanic. A second press would start normally. I think that is a kind of early warning sign. I'm going battery shopping but in the mean time I bought a portable jump starter. I may also try shutting off the smart key.

Gavin: The computer is

Gavin: The computer is always on whether you are driving or the car is shut down. You will hear noise from the car hours after it is shut down for the day. This is the computer doing its thing. Make sure when you shut her down when you go to work that you push the start button off and the P button (Two buttons). Assuming you have a bright display on your dash it should go out. There should be only one beep when you lock the doors form the outside. If you hear three beeps you didn't shut her down properly.

There is absolutely no

There is absolutely no pattern of circumstances prior to each occurrence; temperature, length of time not driven, daylight - moonlight or whatever. Enter Technology

Yes I agree, we foolishly

Yes I agree, we foolishly bought another hybrid after having all these same issues with my hi lander hybrid. Finally after buying a brand new Prius and taking it to park n fly in LA, it was dead! A 2-day old car!! the service guy admitted to me that their hybrids are not meant to sit for more than 7 days max on FULL battery charge or they will have to be jumped! Bring on the lawsuit. We're VY DISSATISFIED,!!!!!!.

An amusing thing happened to

An amusing thing happened to me while driving on a highway with my Prius 2 2011. I accidentally pushed the P button (The park button) while doing 65 mph. Normally, if you were doing that in a regular car, your car would become a basket case. The Prius lost all power and I had to pull the Prius to the shoulder of the highway. Starting up the Prius from scratch it once again ran like a Swiss watch. As I happily drove back onto the highway I promised myself I would never do that stupid thing again. Although I wouldn't advise it except in an unlikely emergency your car runs wild without control I would push the P. (Park switch) Toyota states you should place it in N (Neutral) and hold it in N until you have control again. The best brains in the country stated there is nothing wrong with Toyota's brakes. Rugs not placed properly with this car or for any other car could develop into a runaway car.

Are you sure you have the

Are you sure you have the brake depressed when you push the start button and the start button lights up? Is the car in P position? Does the Ready light show on the dash? Is the battery OK in the fob? Are all of the doors closed? Do you play anything that draws power from the 12 volt battery excessively? (No more than 12volt 120 watts) Did you try pressing the Toyota logo on the fob against the starter button? Do you use your regenerative brakes enough to keep the big battery charged. Does using trip A show the battery almost fully charge? Do you keep the lights off in nice daytime weather? If a driver can't see a car in nice weather without lights on he shouldn't be driving. Are your fuses all OK? If the ready light is blinking you probably have a loose connection somewhere. Is any info on your display telling what is not right? Do you keep the fob in your right pocket so it will be close to the start button? Is there anything also in your pocket such as coins to prevent the car from starting? What about the overhead courtesy light? Is it in the on position? When you lock the doors do you hear three beeps? One beep tells you that you shut down your vehicle correctly. Three beeps tell you that you didnít do something correctly.