+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

I have a Toyota Prius 2001

I have a Toyota Prius 2001 make and i want to convert it to use only petrol.So what do i do to convert it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The Prius CANNOT be

The Prius CANNOT be converted to petrol only.

1. The hybrid electric motor IS the starter motor for the petrol engine. No electric motor, no starter.

2. The Prius does not have a reverse gear in the transmission. The Prius backs up by running the electric motor backwards.

3. Everything, both petrol and electric is computer controlled. The computer will not permit the car to operate if a major system is malfunctioning.

4. The brakes, power steering and air conditioning are all powered by small 200v electric motors running from the same battery pack that drives the car. They are not "belt driven" from the petrol engine as in a normal car.

If the Hybrid electric motor and battery do not work, the Prius cannot be operated.

Sorry.

I have a 2009 Prius that I

I have a 2009 Prius that I have had to have AAA jumpstart 4 times since I bought it in May 2009 (that's 13 months). Took it to the local Toyota dealership, they tested the battery, said it tested fine and there was nothing they could do, end of story. Pissed me off! They of course suggested that maybe I left the lights on? I told them I'm not an idiot!! You'd think after all the bad press Toyota has had they'd bend over backwards to make their customers happy. I told them next time I'm buying a Honda. So frustrating!!!

AAA does not have the

AAA does not have the capablity of "jump starting" the 200v engine battery. so obviously, it was your 12v battery that is failing.

There are only TWO possiblities:

1. Your 12v battery is defective, either from old age, or defective construction.

2. There is a "phantom" draw on the battery. Something in the car is consuming power while the car is not running.

The Prius "smart key" system DOES draw a small amount of electricity from the 12v battery. BUT this should not be an issue unless the car is being left for OVER A WEEK without being run. There are instructions in the owner's manual for shutting off the smart key system if you plan on leaving the car parked for over a week.

If the Toyota dealer did not LOAD TEST the 12v battery, then they have no way of knowing if the battery is defective, and they are just blowing you off.

I own a 2007 Prius that has

I own a 2007 Prius that has a starter battery gone dead four times. Fortunately, I always carry a jump battery because I spend most of my free time in remote wilderness areas. I took it to dealership for 30,000 mile and mentioned the battery. The technician tested it at 75% charge and told me there was no problem. Replacement cost was $300. Therefore, I was advised to not purchase a new one. However, I experienced the same problem a few days later. Causal condition possibilities: 1] a few days between use of the vehicle; 2] working the night shift; 3] usually very short trips. I commute by bicycle 16 miles a day, so rarely use the vehicle other than to take me to hiking trailheads and always returning in the dark. I think that I simply need to replace the $300 battery. I am open to all opinions. Otherwise, I love Prius.

Check the contactor relay

Check the contactor relay

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius.

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. I tried to start the car. Every single light came flashing on the car, I couldn't put the car in Drive or Reverse. Also the start button was on red and not green. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?

"I own a 2007 Toyota Prius.

"I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. I tried to start the car. Every single light came flashing on the car, I couldn't put the car in Drive or Reverse. Also the start button was on red and not green. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?"

Try starting the car without pressing the brake, you now get the same results, right?

Try pressing harder on the brake when you hit the power button. If this doesn't solve the problem, the brake switch may not be working well anymore and may need to be replaced.

I found a quote from

I found a quote from priuschat.com that gives better info than I did, go there to post/ask more.
    * IG-OFF (the car is off): LED is off
    * ACC-ON (the MFD is on, warning lights in the instrument panel are off): LED is green
    * IG-ON (MFD on, warning lights in instrument panel are on): LED is orange
    * READY (MFD on, car is READY): LED is off

You can cycle between IG-OFF, ACC-ON, and IG-ON by repeatedly pressing the POWER button while leaving the brake pedal alone. You can cycle between IG-OFF and READY by depressing the brake pedal while pressing the POWER button.

end quote

I also have a 2007 and

I also have a 2007 and apparently my starter battery just died. Very surprised because the week prior I had my routine maintenance done at the Toyota Dealership. They never mentioned my battery had to be replaced soon. I just have to assume they did not check my battery at all. This starter battery is expensive for being so small. $250 with two hours of work at the dealership.