+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie!

Newbie!

Just joined the forum. I have a new 07 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD. I think I got every option available including the Navigation system and 6 disc CD changer.

I have already had it in the customizing shop for some subtle work. I had a clear bra put on before the front end gets any rock chips in it. I had a 10 disc MP3 player installed and kept the factory 6 disc changer as well. I had a Rolen bluetooth device installed, a homelink rear view mirror with outside temp gauge installed and a power cord for my Valentine radar detector as well.

I have had the vehicle just over a month now and have put on 1700 miles. 1000 miles of that was a road trip from Vegas to Grand Canyon to Phoenix back to Vegas. I averaged about 30 mpg on that trip. The speed limit on US-40 is 75 MPH. The little truck did fairly well going up the big hill towards Williams, AZ at 75! It made a lot of noise compared to a conventional car but did the job none the less.

A couple of concerns I have are:

There is no engine temp gauge? When going up these hills and the little 4 banger is wailing away, I have no way of knowing the condition of the gas engine. Any ideas?

Second, there was no outside air temp gauge. I fixed that by installing the home link mirror set up. I plan on using this car for ski trips and it's nice to know the freezing point.

Third, I smelled an electrical smell driving down the big hill from Flagstaff to Phoenix. It was not real strong but there just the same. Could not figure out what or where it came from. It seemed to be coming out the air vents? Is this just a break in smell on a hybrid? Anyone else smell this?

And lastly, When should I do the oil changes? I want to do one soon with the break-in oil in the engine. I think the book says every 5000 miles? This seems like a long time for a car not running on synthetic. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post. I love this car so far and hope to have many trouble free miles on her. I got tired of bitching about high gas prices and figured I'd try and do my part to help reduce my usage. Even my new Corvette gets 29 MPG! I should send back my Chevron card!

Thanks for listening!

Braced

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by braced View Post
    Just joined the forum. I have a new 07 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD. I think I got every option available including the Navigation system and 6 disc CD changer.

I have already had it in the customizing shop for some subtle work. I had a clear bra put on before the front end gets any rock chips in it. I had a 10 disc MP3 player installed and kept the factory 6 disc changer as well. I had a Rolen bluetooth device installed, a homelink rear view mirror with outside temp gauge installed and a power cord for my Valentine radar detector as well.

I have had the vehicle just over a month now and have put on 1700 miles. 1000 miles of that was a road trip from Vegas to Grand Canyon to Phoenix back to Vegas. I averaged about 30 mpg on that trip. The speed limit on US-40 is 75 MPH. The little truck did fairly well going up the big hill towards Williams, AZ at 75! It made a lot of noise compared to a conventional car but did the job none the less.

A couple of concerns I have are:

There is no engine temp gauge? When going up these hills and the little 4 banger is wailing away, I have no way of knowing the condition of the gas engine. Any ideas?

Second, there was no outside air temp gauge. I fixed that by installing the home link mirror set up. I plan on using this car for ski trips and it's nice to know the freezing point.

Third, I smelled an electrical smell driving down the big hill from Flagstaff to Phoenix. It was not real strong but there just the same. Could not figure out what or where it came from. It seemed to be coming out the air vents? Is this just a break in smell on a hybrid? Anyone else smell this?

And lastly, When should I do the oil changes? I want to do one soon with the break-in oil in the engine. I think the book says every 5000 miles? This seems like a long time for a car not running on synthetic. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post. I love this car so far and hope to have many trouble free miles on her. I got tired of bitching about high gas prices and figured I'd try and do my part to help reduce my usage. Even my new Corvette gets 29 MPG! I should send back my Chevron card!

Thanks for listening!

Braced
    Hi Braced

Congradulations on your new FEH!

Just be careful of new electronic added to your FEH. If the dealership installs them, you generally don't void the warranty with anything they do, but some aftermaket things being installed by others may. The navi has some very sensitive data with the energy screen that uses many modules and the Smart Juntion Box for proper operation. The burning smell is for sure not normal and the workshop manuals warn about adding unapproved equipment.

Many of us have a Scangauge that will give you engine coolant temperature and so many other gauges to mention. Go to http://scangauge.com/ and take a good look at it. It simply plugs in a connection provided above the brake pedal and sets-up in minutes. I've saved so much gas with it that I don't drive without one.

The FEH comes with Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend oil and the recommended change is every 10,000 miles. My first oil change was at ~6,000 miles, but every 10,000 now. I went to Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic which meets all the FEH specs and have not notice any decrease in mileage at 10,000 miles of driving from the oil change. My mileage is around 31,000 and my average tank MPG is in the mid 40's for the FWD.

You can take a look at a article I wrote for tips on mileage at http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350 if your interested.

GaryG

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply.

My electronic add on's are done through a dealer approved shop. In fact the MP3 player install was contracted out to this shop. I negotiated the player as part of my purchase.

As for the Scangauge, I just ordered one! I did a lot of reading on this forum and links you provided and learned a lot about my FEH. I hope to have many miles of trouble free driving.

As for the smell, I wonder if it is the catalytic converter breaking in? It was quite strong when we stopped the car on our road trip. Since then I've smelled it a few times but very mild and hardly noticeable. Unless it returns I am writing it off as a break in smell. I guess that's what warranties are for.

I will continue to read your informative posts and learn more about getting every drop out of this gas tank! Thanks again!

For outside air temperature

For outside air temperature reading, you can install a Gentex autodimming mirror that has a temperature sensor on it. This can be connected directly to the 12V battery in the engine compartment, thus not interferring with any other items. Ford actually sells this item on their regular Escape version and may do so with the 2007 Hybrid version.

You do not have to worry about the Scanguage voiding your warranty as it plugs into the ORB port.

Ford thought I was using the

Ford thought I was using the SGII to reprogram my FEH's PCM (computer). The PCM was reporting my HV battery was bad (it wasn't) and Ford was looking for ways to say I voided my warranty. After they researched my SGII, Ford concluded I had a bad relay and my SGII was no problem. Ford Engineers knew I won first place of over 60mpg at Hybridfest, and thought I had modified my vehicle. The problem was I didn't drive my vehicle, I just used Debbie Katz vehicle who was also in the MPG Challenge just before I drove.

The Federal law requires cars sold in the USA to have the OBDII connection so Scan Tools can be plugged in to determine emission problems that display common error codes. This makes the SGII an exception to electronic equipment added to the vehicle no manner what the workshop manuals say. This is why I left my SGII plugged in when it was towed to the dealership for not starting.

GaryG