+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

we have a 2007 Camry Hybrid

we have a 2007 Camry Hybrid and has loud noises when reversing The car has less than 30,000 miles
    every time we have aske the dealer they give us an answer that when it is damp it makes that nosie.
    I know it is alot of bull as I have had cars for past 40 yrs.(all types)

Maybe its the cylinder or something. If others have the same please e-mail or write

shelart1

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have had this repeatedly

I have had this repeatedly with my 2002 Prius, but only in wet conditions or after rain. So far have not hit anything, but it certainly does not feel safe. Can't replicate for Toyota dealership though.

my father took his prius in

my father took his prius in last month for brake problems. he's said they didn't engage when he was coming into the driveway. toyota kept it for a while. i don't know what the outcome was, but i just got word that he was in a pretty serious accident. hence i found this site. please be careful out there.

I have a 2005 Prius that has

I have a 2005 Prius that has on occasion given a little surge when I applied the brakes. The car stopped normally after the little surge. I think that I applied the brakes quickly but not hard. Cannot remember how much fuel was in the tank, but someone spoke about low fuel being a factor in their brake issue.
    The dealer is willing to have a look at my expense and tell me that every thing is fine. I am waiting for a recall notice, as long as there is no more trouble.
    Fred

Add my wife to the list.

Add my wife to the list. 2007 Prius, about 38,000 miles. Stop and Go traffic, well under 20mph in rainy conditions. My wife is following a car about 25 feet ahead when it stops. She hits the brakes hard and holds the brake peddle down (to engage ABS) - but nothing happens and she keeps rolling to the car in front. She then releases the brakes part way and then slams down hard again on the brakes. This second time, the brakes engage, and she barely stops in time. Making an appointment with the dealer.

I have a 2002 Prius, and I

I have a 2002 Prius, and I have been experiencing the same problem several of you (MelMiley, 2002 Prius) have written about. It started in 2008, when I was driving slowly down my street in wet weather. The brakes were not there when I approached the stop sign. I was lucky there were no other cars, or I would have been in an accident. (They did kick in a few seconds later.) This has occurred on various other occasions. One time it was not wet, but notably the pavement was bumpy.

I contacted my dealership repeatedly about this issue, but they have not been able to replicate the problem. Officially they say the car is "fine." When the 2010 brake problem hit the news, I decided maybe it's time to get this out there. I filed cases with NHTSA and Toyota. Toyota still says there is "no problem," although my case representative explained to me why she thinks the problem is occurring (a software glitch)-- thus basically admitting to the problem.

At this point, I feel like I've run out of options. I drive a car I know is not safe. There is no known fix. I think my case (and others as well) indicate this is not limited to the new Prius; it can develop after many years/miles. So how to get Toyota to respond???

i have tied all of what is

i have tied all of what is in isssue. put it in neutral. you morons. it wotks every time. period. i think this might be a natural selection issue.

I have a 2005 Prius and last

I have a 2005 Prius and last spring a warning light suddenly appeared. I pulled over and the manual said it was a brake warning light. I never felt the brakes did as good a job as did the brakes on my other vehicles, but had no real problem, and nothing felt different that day, which had perfect sunny dry weather day. When I took it to my dealer they spent an hour checking it out and told me that it was an ABS warning light and they had never seen it go on before. They decided that it was a computer problem which suddenly stopped being able to communicate with the ABS and therefore shut down the whole ABS system. They told me the ABS brakes were not faulty, but were disengaged. They also said it was not covered under warranty and it would cost me about $1900 to change the computer. I had not wanted to invest that kind of money, but now that I am reading about computer software problems in the 2010 Prius, I am wondering if I have an early version of the problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

Definitely hitting an oldie

Definitely hitting an oldie but goodie here. Not to beat a dead horse, but this thread came up as I was investigating a problem my daughter had recently with her 08 Prius and wanted to jump in with our details:

First off, a few caveats - I'm an Engineer, and have approached this in a typical engineering fashion. I'm not an automotive engineer, but I did do quit a bit of MechE studies and earn my living as a Software Engineer, and I've got a pretty good handle on both the mechanical and electrical diagnostics. In addition to the Prius, which my daughter drives, we've got a VW Bora, an Audi Q7 and a Porsche 996, and I'm constantly tinkering with all of our cars to find out what makes them tick and how to make them tick better.

On Saturday, 24 April 2010, my daughter was driving over Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz, CA when she rounded a corner and executed a panic brake due to completely stopped traffic. She was able to keep the car under control and avoid collision. ABS likely was engaged. It's likely that the Stroke Sensor failed at this point. One or more calipers continued to be engaged after she stopped stepping on the brake pedal. She drove another several miles in this state, and experienced brake fade when she tried to come to a stop at a traffic light. When she finally pressed fully on the brake pedal, secondary braking was engaged and the wheels locked. She fishtailed, but was able to maintain control of the vehicle and avoid collision. She immediately parked and called me. Vehicle was towed to nearest Toyota dealer. Diagnostics indicated a DTC C1247 Stroke Sensor Malfunction, but upon electrical reset all mechanical functions resumed normally.

Brake failures are pretty frightening, especially when it's your inexperienced teenage kid behind the wheel. However, I suspect that failures of this nature are fairly endemic to all regenerative braking systems. No extent of mechanical controls would be capable of balancing the engine and brakes, so you've got to trust these things to a computer. And I can guarantee you that all software has bugs, especially around edge conditions. It's simply impossible to test for everything, all you can do is document and learn from your field data.

That being said, I would certainly hope that these situations have been heeded and improved by Toyota. I'm reading stuff here that's five years old, which what appear to be ample field reports. Toyota needs to step up to the plate and take immediate action on this stuff, and stop dismissing it as Edmunds/GM propoganda.

i was driving to champaign

i was driving to champaign IL for a medical appointment when the
    dashboard went red. The dealer in Urbana said it was safe to drive it
    without damage. [Had about 32,000 miles]
    The got "a code we never saw before".
    Drive me to medical appt and picked me up.
    Then loaned me a free rental car for 3 days while they tried to
    figure it out.
    Ended up by installing a new master control.
    OK now, 5000 miles later, I hope..........