+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    The brakes consistently but unpredictably fail to work for us in our brand new 2007 Toyota Prius. This occurs for about a second in various situations and conditions. It has happened going over mildly damaged roads (on bumps), when moving forward into a parking space, when stopping at stop signs, when braking for a red lights.
    So far, I apply the brakes the same way as I do at other times. The car begins to brake, then the brakes no longer work and the car continues to move forward, the sliding light comes on, sometimes solidly and sometimes it flashes and then the brakes start working again. It has happened on bumps, but not always, it does not have to do with weather conditions- it has happened typically on dry roads. I can not replicate it by slamming the brakes on. It usually happens at slow speeds (when I am braking) I have not tried it during a high speed situation. The brake does not go down to the floor. I have not noticed any noise that accompanies this phenomenon. We can't replicate the problem for our dealer and Toyota Canada has been profoundly unhelpful.

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone else recently had this problem (I've seen several older threads)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have a question. Has anyone pumped the brakes when this occurred? Back in the old days when we built hot-rods, the brakes would somtimes work less than reliably and you'd have to pump them to get the car to stop. I'm wondering if, when the brake pedad went to the floor, or the car failed to stop, did anyone try pumping the brake pedal?

Groove-

Actually, the brakes are working as designed. You are experiencing the electronic modulation that goes with the ABS and/or vehicle stability control as the tires momentarily unbrake and then rebrake. This is to keep the car from spinning or fishtailing on a surface where the tires are not slowing down at the exact same speed (ABS) or you are in a turn and the tires are not in sync (VSC). This is being incorporated in all cars in the last few years so it is not just a Prius issue, it is a new car issue. However, since the Prius uses the front brakes much more so than a regular car (due to regenerative braking) the effect is more notable when the front wheels encounter sand, potholes or anything that causes one tire to slide while the other continues to slow down.

Now whether this is too much of a good thing, I can see the point of complaining. Your experience (brake failure) is what everyone states when this is first encountered.

tsktsk

damn shame.. faulty brakes are VERY dangerous.

brakes

I also have a 2006 Prius and it has a little over 25,000 miles on it and recently, (Sept. 14, 2007) had problems with the brakes and luckily it was in my driveway. I was going under 5 miles per hour and in the process of positioning my car to back it in to our driveway when I put my foot on the brake it did not stop and jolted forwards right through the neighbors fence, taking out a six foot panel and causing extensive damage to my car. I am now scared to drive this car. When it comes out out the body repair shop it is going straight back to the dealership where we purchased it.

brake trouble

I also have a 2006 Prius and it has a little over 25,000 miles on it and recently, (Sept. 14, 2007) had problems with the brakes and luckily it was in my driveway. I was going under 5 miles per hour and in the process of positioning my car to back it in to our driveway when I put my foot on the brake it did not stop and jolted forwards right through the neighbors fence, taking out a six foot panel and causing extensive damage to my car. I am now scared to drive this car. When it comes out out the body repair shop it is going straight back to the dealership where we purchased it.

Camry Hybrid break failure

My mom just had her breaks spontaneously fail to function on a 13 month old Camry Hybrid. Did any Camry Hybrid owners have similar problems?

Hybrid brakes

What you may not know about hybrid vehicles whether they are Honda, Toyota, Ford or whatever, they do not use a hydraulic master cylinder like you are used to. They have a rubber bladder that gives you pedal feel but the braking is done by the abs/traction control hydraulics and if you are not using sufficent pedal pressure it will try to slow the vehicle with regen rather than applying the brakes. Hope this helps.
    Jim.

Brakes Failed on My 2005 Prius

Well add me to the list. I was driving a few weeks ago on the freeway in L.A. going about 5 mph in the rain and the SUV in front of me came to a stop. I easily had enough time to stop however I put on my brakes and nothing, not even a slow down, I pumped them, nothing, I literally slid into the big SUV in front of me trying to engage my e-brake with my right hand (I forgot it was with my left foot, it's hard to undo 23 years of muscle memory even after 2 years). I got out of the car and there was no skid mark, nothing, my car really never even slowed. It was extremely frustrating and frightening. Sadly, I glided right into the SUV and my hood crumpled. I've been found at fault by my insurance and the estimate is $5,000 to repair. The real problem is I'm very afraid to drive this car again with my baby in it and am having dreams about driving and not being able to stop.

My father is a mechanic and he told me that on electric cars traveling under 25 MPH the ABS does not kick in so you hit a wet slick and you are out of luck. For those of you who have taken in your car in after this happens, and they say there is nothing wrong, I find that offensive on the part of Toyota. Toyota should be warning all potential buyers and certainly all owners that this is a very real problem! I'm sure they are fully aware of it.

Once my car is fixed I will take it to the dealer to complain, but I can see chances are high they will tell me all is well and not mention the fact that the ABS doesn't work under 25 mph.

possible brake issue

Two weeks ago, I had a possible brake failure in my Prius 2007. It was dark and wet conditions & happed rather fast so I am not sure how much was brakes vs hydroplaning. I was slowing down to an intersection at the bottom of small slope and once I noticed I wasn't stopping I reapplied the brakes... I went right through the intersection. Lucky that there was no cross traffic, however it as a tree that ended up stopping the car & so I am looking at $9000+ in damages. I am having the shop also look at the brakes.
    From the above messages I think the ABS at lower speeds sounds like a probability (my airbags did not deploy).
    I am planning on keeping my Prius, but I am wary of the brake issue and will be careful in how I brake.
    I have repeatedly brought this up with my insurance and I will tell the dealer when I return for service.