+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by family fun2 View Post
    I have a meeting to turn mine back to the dealer. You may not be aware the cars a made to shut down when towing, or on a slippery surface. They will not move, I purched mine for the awd for ice and snow and towing 3500lbs. The care will not safetly do this. I placed a note somewere in this section,telling part of my story. I am not good with a computer or typing one finger. I hope I put it in right. family fun2 gary the above is my opi nion
    That's crap. We have 18,000 miles on ours since April, including 5000 miles towing a 3000lb camper. I once towed it up a steep (20 degree) dirt driveway with great traction. Summer my wife gets 29-30 mpg mixed driving,winter so far in the deep cold we get 22 mpg and towing I get 21-22 mpg. Low speed in the campground I have also towed on battery alone at low speeds (under 15 mph).

the poster formally known as Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

< 23 MPG?! Not me.

Yes, I wish the gas engine were downsized; my reason for buying the hybrid was better mileage, not blowing standard Highlanders away at stoplights (what's the point -- a Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi costs less and blows me away).

Still, I get very good mileage and am sorry for those who don't. I can get 28-29 whether city (by paying attention) or highway (by going 65 instead of 75) or any kind of mixed driving as long as it's not short trips. The first 5 minutes are miserable mileage, the next are nothing great, but after 10 minutes the mileage is just fine. Of course, warmup is quicker in the summer or if the engine isn't dead cold.

My other car is a Jeep Liberty and it doesn't compare in MPG.

Pleased so far

I too am a real owner and have about 20,000 miles on my HH. I easily get 26-27 mpg NOW. My best tank was 29.8 mpg. When I first got the HH I would drive it like a standard vehicle and you just can't get away with that and expect to get good gas mileage. I live in Dallas and my 15 mile commute is 60% highway and 40% in-town. In order to get great gas mileage you have to make that your priority. You need to coast as often as possible and not punch the accelerator leaving the stop light. Never get the "power meter" over 50. I try to stay in the "zebra" range (for lack of a better term) as long as possible. Drive in electric mode as long as possible, as well (parking lots, subdivisions, etc.). Many of the city streets in Dallas have a 30 mph speed limit and you can drive in electric mode at that speed if you try. If the engine cuts on, just let off the accelerator until it shuts off and then EASE back on the gas. My wife's '07 Camry Hybrid gets around 40 mpg using these tactics with a 70% highway, 30% in-town commute. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by stacked2006 View Post
    I too am a real owner and have about 20,000 miles on my HH. I easily get 26-27 mpg NOW. My best tank was 29.8 mpg.
    I've been averaging around 30MPG. My best tank so far was 33MPG -- the only thing I changed for that tank was that I used 89 octane instead of 87 octane. For the extra $1.70 (at most) the midgrade gas cost, it was worth it.

45,000 miles- under 22.5 MPG, but actually bigger #$

Just an update.
    Very "Green" , fell for the hype, .
    My advice-
    Buy 2 cars, new Prius, and a used Jeep. Less than I paid for my 1 4WD hybrid Highlander.
    latest challenge,
    Stuck on the beach in the outer banks, just as I drove onto the sand on vacation last week. ( had a Jeep 10 years- Never an issue!)
    The vehicle just shut off gas motor, and electric turned a little- cost $65, but actually more disappointed on the dealership stating vehicle is fine, and nothing they will do.

We really need a class action lawsuit started, I truly feel this is absolute fraud!

A class action suit because you don't know how to drive your car? What a joke. It says all over the manual that this is not an off road vehicle and you take it on the beach. After 30,000 miles our best tank is 31.5 mpg, worst was 19.6 but that was towing a 3000 lb trailer in April with 2 kayaks on the roof. Non towing in summer we average 28-29 mpg, winter (New England) about 25.

ginabean,
    I'll second HiHySteve here. The HiHy is not an offroad vehicle, even if it is dressed up to look like one. I wish someone would come up with a hybrid off-road vehicle but I also understand that the business case for such a thing is rather weak. The US manufacturers have all left the offroad business completely with the single exception of the Jeep Wrangler.
    I keep a Nissan Xterra around for offroad use and as a backup but I realize that I waste a lot of money just keeping it registered and insured and that that is not an option for everyone.

I don't understand all this

I don't understand all this hooplah over hybrids that get worse gas mileage than my regular Honda Civic, a normal ICE. I get 35 mpg in the city, 38 mpg on the highway. I don't drive any particular way to TRY to save mpg... I just drive the same way I always have and keep up with everyone else on the road. So, my question is, how do you guys justify spending that kind of money on something which can't even produce the desired results. Hell, the EPA ratings are still lower than my car's mpg and there is nothing special about mine. It's a '97 Honda!

And by the way, I bought my car from a friend, January this year, and it only cost me $850.00. Clean body, clean interior, excellent engine. He's been kicking himself in the butt cause he can't stand the fact that I've got his great gas mileage car and he's driving a brand new Chrysler that gets 19mpg. lol. The price you pay (literally) for wanting to "look cool".

I'll put my $850 Civic up against your high dollar hybrids any day. And I'll still get better gas mileage, save more money at the pump, and end up causing less pollution, with money left over to buy whatever else I want and then some. You guys and your new fangled fancy schmancy $20,000 and more hybrids! HAH!

Do your research and you'll thank yourself in the end. Don't just buy something cause someone says it does something, look into it and find out the whole story... course then again, it's your money... you can waste it wherever you want.

So you are matching a

So you are matching a compact car against an SUV to compare milage?

Please, what a goofy post.

Please, what a goofy post. Maybe you should be on the 'Look at my $850 Honda Purchase' thread.