+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a 2003 Honda Civic

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. The transmission startead slipping at about 40,000 miles. I took it to the Honda Dealer and they recommended changing the transmission fluid which I did. It started slipping again about 5,000 miles later. I changed it again (each time it cost me $100 plus fluid).
    that seemed to fix it for a long time. At about 100,000 miles I noticed it slipping again. I was on my way home from N.Y. When I got home I had a letter saying the warranty was extended to 100,000 miles. I called them and they asked for the milage. It was 100,450 (or thereabouts). They said it was beyond the exteded warranty mileage and refused to fix it.
    Since that time I have changed the transmission oil twice and it still slips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Am curious, how is your

Am curious, how is your situation going with Honda re: your Hybrid Civic. We are having the same problems. I and my son-in-law both purchased 2004s (built in 2003) and have had problems. This weekend my son-in-laws car stopped moving.

30,000 miles is the

30,000 miles is the recomended interval for normal driving. The problem is this: there really is no "normal" when it comes to driving.

Check your ATF often (at least monthly). Friction material from clutch packs, metal fragments from wear, and burnt fluid can mess up a transmission very, very quickly. ATF is much less expensive than replacing or rebuilding a transmission, so cut the recommended interval in half (or simply change the fluid yearly). It will save a ton of heart ache, and keep the local technicians from emptying your wallet.

The same goes for brake fluid. Change it yearly (have it flushed). DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are hydroscopic (readily absorbed moisture). On average your car's brake fluid will absorb 4 to 6% of its volume in water over a year simply from popping the cap when you check the fluid level. Water boils at a much lower temp than brake fluid, and rotors/calioers get more than hot enough to do this. It causes steam bubbles in your brake lines (resulting in spongy pedal.... Harder to stop since gas compresses and liquid doesn't.)

I recently bought a 2007

I recently bought a 2007 civic hybrid. Not having driven a hybrid before, I wasn't sure how the engine should sound or feel. After reading other comments, I'm convinced I have a transmission problem.

When I try to accelerate, the engine starts to race. If I keep the accelerator pushed, the engine races higher and higher , upwards to 4500-5000 RPMs with little response from the car. Sometimes it barely climbs hills while the speed of the engine seems to race. It feels/sounds like a slipping clutch in a manual transmission.

Am I correct in thinking that my transmission is slipping and needs a repair? And is simply changing the fluid repair enough?

Thanks for you help.

My wife has a 04 hybrid

My wife has a 04 hybrid civic also and it runs great except for the slipping and jurking with the transmission.

I think she should sell it. honda dealers have not accepted any responsibility for the default.

how are your civics doing?

Check your ATF often (at

Check your ATF often (at least monthly). Friction material from clutch packs, metal fragments from wear, and burnt fluid can mess up a transmission very, very quickly. ATF is much less expensive than replacing or rebuilding a transmission, so cut the recommended interval in half (or simply change the fluid yearly).

I have a 2004 Honda Civic

I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid with 114,000 miles, and have been closely following the transmission issues on this forum. At about 50K miles, my HCH would begin "shuddering" when taking off from a stop, especially noticeable when the CVT fluid was getting "old" (i.e., over 10Kmiles). The problem would resolve when I changed the fluid (using Honda-brand CVT fluid). I agree strongly with MSantos -- aggressive CVT changes are very important, probably every 10K miles or less! I've never had to do the "CVT belt burnishing" that Honda recommends for problem CVTs, and I've never felt any "slipping"... but then I always try to accelerate pretty slowly, for good mileage.

I've done oil analyses using a commercial lab to check for problems with my HCH engine, always good results. However, I recently asked them to do a CVT-fluid analysis, and they saw abnormally high levels of iron (412ppm, over twice normal). They expressed concern at these high levels of iron -- perhaps from the CVT belt/pulleys.

My question is... any engineers out there who know if high levels of iron in the fluid might be typical for 2004 HCH CVT transmission wear? If the CVT fails, are there reports of catastrophic failure?... or does the belt just not engage at all? Should I overhaul the transmission now, even though the car's running well? ... or just wait until something fails? Any thoughts?... and thanks for the advice!

This is a design fault of

This is a design fault of 2003-2006 HCH models with CVT's. Honda does not acknowledge the problem on most models even though they all came from the same plant as the recalled ones. The best bet is to raise a much of a stink as possible, get the car marked as a lemon, so all of us can get our money back. I owned hondas for 12 years and after the way they treated me about this I am never buying one again.

I purchased an 04 Honda

I purchased an 04 Honda Civic Hybrid new (Automatic). I have 112,000 miles on it, and have a similar story. I had the shuddering after the first year, and the clutch/brake was replaced. Now I have a loud whirring noise when in drive. Honda dealership says the transmission need to be replaced. Based on some posts, I was going to do a flush and fill on the tranny fluid, but Honda says if transmission fluid wasn't replaced more than regularly, it is best to just drain and fill .. wait a month, drain and fill again ... and then see if there is any improvement. Honda claims the flush/fill may cause further damage to the tranny. I felt like I should have required that in the hopes that they caused the damanage ... maybe I could get them to pay for part of the replacement. At 112,000 miles, i'm over the extended warranty. Honda gave me a $2800 parts cost for replacement of the tranny with a total cost of $5k to replace it. Since I've read on more blogs that the converters (two) usually go after 100,000 miles at $5k each and the battery pack should be looming its ugly head soon, another $3-4k, I'm now thinking of either extended warranty (if possible) to get the tranny fixed, and then probably trading or selling. Given the noise, although no major slipping, I'm concerned that that tranny is going to just stop connecting ... can't imagine that's not a safety issue!!!!! Maybe when my car stops in the middle of the interstate and a car or truck crashes into me at 50+ MPG and I die, Honda might rethink the recall on this car. Any suggestions? Is my thinking correct? Can you tell I'm a bit upset about this. This is the first Honda that I've had this kind of problems. In the past, my Honda's ran for 200+ miles. This is just ridiculous. I also heard Japan recalled this model in Japan, but not in the US. Any truth to this?