+ Reply to Thread

Winter operations and Hybrid batteries???

I live in Chicago, where the winters are cold. I also travel a lot and my car gets parked outside, in the cold (occassional high temps of 0 deg. F) for up to 4 days or more at a time without starting up. How well do the Hybrid batteries seem to work during winter operations? I am considering a hybrid vehicle for my next purchase but am worried about battery life of the hybrid and perhaps serious degredation in gas mileage performance. Any experience out there with cold winters and the car parked outside for days on end without driving? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I live in St. Paul, MN. It gets even colder than Chicago. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with my TCH up here. I've already noticed the engine running more than it did a few weeks ago when the temps were higher.

Winter on batterys

Just like my cordless tools I use that are stored in my work trailer the hybrid battery gets weaker when cold. A good rule of thumb would be to expect about 4 MPG less in the winter,mpls,MN.

The worst MPG is in the below 0 F temps

Now we had -4 degrees the morning we filled up. The milage over the next two days droped from our normal 35-40 mpg down to 25 mpg. I think really cold weather is the worst hybrid driving conditions.

Will the gasoline engine

Will the gasoline engine start operating when I turn the a/c or heater on?

The gas engine operates when

The gas engine operates when it needs to depending on the demands on it at the time. Using the A/C or the heater will require it to run more than if you weren't, but it won't be constantly on.