+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Since it is a CVT equipped

Since it is a CVT equipped vehicle then the odds are favorable for you. This means that the battery pack may still have much life left in it. Add a clean CarFax and a maintenance book with maintenance details and that makes it a much more palatable deal.

Under those conditions I would budget enough after purchase money for an inspection and compliance visit with the best Honda dealership you can find in your area. Have them report on the car and perform any applicable updates, recalls or needed maintenance - starting with a review of the cat converter, O2 sensors, EGR valve and CVT fluid replacement. Under these terms they should also offer a warranty for any work they do which should help ease any of your fears for the long run.

In any case, let us know if you decide to go for it.

Cheers;

MSantos

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi everyone, Wish I had

Hi everyone,

Wish I had found this page a while ago! I also own a 2003 HCV and have had the same judder problem many of you have had. I also have had my transmission/fluids changed, burnished and all that. However, after doing that twice on my own (and paying for it) I got a notice from Honda- a recall notice about that exact problem- and it stated that if you have previously paid to have the judder problem fixed, you can get reimbursed. So, today I faxed over a copy of the invoice from a 2006 repair job, proof of payment, and some other very basic info, and am getting reimbursed! So don't despair. Call honda. They were pretty accomodating so far, although I shouldn't say too much until I see the money.

I admit I haven't read all of these posts, although I read several, so if this is repeat information, I apologize! Just thought some of you sounded a lot like me, and maybe you can get your money back from some of your repairs...

Carmen

Once again, great service

Once again, great service from you! Thanks!

How much are new battery packs? Also, we checked on the warranty information and it is like two or three grand for only a few years. Would it be beneficial to do that? The warranty apparently does not even cover the battery packs! How do we know how much life it left in them?

So other than the battery packs (which I assume are completely different than the 12V battery near the engine -- they are mounted under the rear seat, correct?) this CHC requires the same care and maintenance as any other vehicle? Is that correct to assume?

Thanks;
    Josh

Josh: A new battery pack

Josh:

A new battery pack will cost a little over $4000 which will include labor. However, if a replacement ever becomes necessary just contact Honda and they may step in (as they almost always do) to pay for half of the cost.

The battery pack on that car may still have a lifetime worth vitality left in it. It all depends on how and where it was driven and there is no easy way to tell how good it is. When it comes to shop testing battery packs they are either good or bad. You'll have to drive the car for a while to determine if the charge/recharge cycle trends normally or not.

It may be worth getting the warranty if only for the mechanicals and emissions equipment until you know for sure how dependable these are. I hope the hybrid specific components may be in good enough shape to help with the lack of coverage.

Yes, the battery pack behind the rear seat. The servicing of the HCH is essentially identical to that of any other regular gas powered vehicle albeit with a lower frequency of service... and a slightly different set of maintenance attributes. In any case, if you do get the car don't forget to read the owners manual. You can buy/download one online if you need to.

Cheers;

MSantos

Hey MSantos - once again,

Hey MSantos - once again, thanks for all your help.

I was reading another post on this website, and it said that the CA govt ensures that the hybrid battery will last till 150k miles, and if not, they are forced to replace it. Is this true/where can I find out more about this?

Thanks;
    Josh

Absolutely true if you live

Absolutely true if you live in California and it is a California car. Contact your nearest dealership or Honda Corporate for specific details (have the VIN number at hand when speaking to them).

Cheers;

MSantos

Unfortunately, I have a

Unfortunately, I have a Hibryd too. I had problems since the very beginning: transmission,battery..
    I will vener again buy another Honda .The so called extended warranty is so limited and not practical, at all. You must have your car on the shop for at least one day and it has to be verfied by
    American Honda. My Toyota was so simple. You took it in you got a rental if you did not want to wait for the whole day. No questions asked. It was a given that your Penske,extended warraty,would cover anything. The only reason why I got this piece if junk was the trunk. The Prius does not have one.

The whole idea of a Hybrid was so overrated. The maintenance is expensive and as we all know the mileage is not what they promised. You can almost get the very same mileage from a small
    regular car and save money with lower maintenace.
    sorry to sound so pesimistic but it is my reality.

There is a recall for the

There is a recall for the SRS problem. Just take your car to the dealer. According to the recall, the dealer will fix the problem free of charge if your car is withing the extended warranty time/mileage period.

Well this is a really

Well this is a really helpful topic for cvt owners

i have a honda city 2k3 with cvt, there is kind of grinding noise from the transmission when the car is in reverse gear, the noise only comes when the brake pedal is pushed while in reverse gear and vanished as soon as i release the brake pedal. The noise seems like to be a result of some vibration.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regrads.

Time to take it to the

Time to take it to the dealer for an inspection of the CVT. I suspect the issue may lie with the reverse clutch (adjustment or replacement) or it may all be simply resolved with a standard CVT burnish operation.

Cheers;

MSantos