+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2003 Civic Hybrid CVT tr, slipping noise

I have an 03 civic hybrid with CVT transmission. I got it certified used at about 36,000 miles and it was supposed to have fresh trans fluid and I believe it did. The powertrain is warranted to 100,000 miles since it was certified used. I am at 74,000 now. At about 66,000, when it should have been due for itís transmission fluid change, it was making a slipping/grinding sound when starting off, especially on a hill. It had previously been very smooth and quiet. It gradually became a problem. It was not all of a sudden. It was hard to know for sure that it was not my imagination, except for it being real obvious on an incline and it was getting worse. The dealerís mechanic heard the sound, too, and said letís start with the fluid change it was due for. The change made it great again, but only for a few thousand miles. When I went back they said they had learned about a process called burnishing the transmission band. I believe they put their foot on the brake while putting on the gas, almost to the point of stalling (I think) to clean up the band. Mine would be the 2nd car they would do it on. It also requires a change of fluid after because it is supposed to take the crud from the parts and put it into the fluid. They did it for free since I had already asked them to work on this problem, and I had paid for the fluid change to fix the same problem. Again, after their work it was nice and quiet and smooth, but about 3,000 miles later it is coming back again. I donít know if their process did anything, or if it was just the fresh fluid that helped like it did the first time. I am concerned repetitions of the process might decrease the life of the transmission.

The best outcome for me would probably be a complete transmission failure at 99,000 miles because then I can get a new one.

Anybody having similar problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

I just traded in my 2003 HCH with 108,000 miles. I loved it to death and the only real complaint I hever had with it was the CVT problem you felt.

My first time I felt this was at about 35,000. I had been doing all my own maintenance (oil and inspections) but had failed to do the 30,000 CVT fluid change. After much research - I found that was the source of my problems - clogged up CVT. For me a change worked, and then like clockwork, every 30,000 there-after the car "told me" to change the fluid by giving me that symptom.

My research did not discuss the band trick - but did talk about sometimes having to do a double fluid change for bad problems.

The change was very easy to do yourself. Buy the Honda new CVT fluid, a funnel with a long tube, and then replacment washers for the fill/drain plugs.

Good Luck

Same problem, still no solution

I'm having the EXACT same slipping problem. I got my 2003 civic hybrid new in 2002. I had to get the catalytic converter replaced at 40,000. Around 50,000, the transmission started having the slipping noise Mike described. As he said, it got gradually worse, so eventually I took it in to the dealer. They said "oh, yeah, there's a special bulletin on that problem."

So they burnished my transmission fluid (or band?) and then *charged me for it* because the warranty doesn't cover fluid replacements. I argued with them because I feel like any unscheduled maintenance that involves a special bulletin ought to be covered under my warranty regardless of whether or not it involves replacing fluids. No luck.

The slipping went away for a couple thousand miles but then it came back again. Am I really supposed to get my tranmission fluid replaced and burnished every 3,000 miles?!! So, I waited to do anything about it until my 65,000 mile scheduled maintenance. I took it to the dealership but they wanted to charge me $400 for the scheduled maintenance! I called a local and reputable mechanic and he quoted me $115. So, I took it to the local mechanic. Everything was cool for a little bit, but then low and behold, it started coming back again!

I don't know what to do. Should I trade this thing in before it gets any worse? From other people's posts, it sounds like I could have regular problems with my catalytic converter and this CVT transmission will likely continue to give me trouble.

OH! And I forgot to mention I've had to take it into the dealership three times because the SRS light keeps coming on for no reason!!!

Don't get me wrong. I've loved the smooth ride and great gas mileage. But, I don't want to end up with an expensive clunker!!

The Answer

A shudder or Judder up to 15 mph requires honda to Drain and Burnish
    the 2003-2005 honda hybrid CVT CLUTCH.Honda will check the EGR valve
    during this service too. Honda tech article# ATS06070

CVT slipping and shuddering (continued)

"A shudder or Judder up to 15 mph requires honda to Drain and Burnish
    the 2003-2005 honda hybrid CVT CLUTCH.Honda will check the EGR valve
    during this service too. Honda tech article# ATS06070"

Okay, that's what it was. I *paid* Honda to do that (because fluids are not covered under the warranty). But, it only fixed the problem for about three thousand miles. I had it done again during my routine maintenance and again it only fixed the problem for a few thousand miles. If that is the only solution Honda has to offer, it isn't a solution at all.

I've been reading up on CVTs in general and I saw that CVTs that rely on rubber belts have a history of developing slipping/shudder problems as the belts wear and stretch. Supposedly, newer CVTs are using metal belts that don't stretch. Anybody know what the Civic Hybrid uses? If it is rubber, maybe the solution is just to get a fresh one put on. Any ideas?

Slipping Noise/Belts & Weather

Did you try the belts yet? I've got about 125K on my CVT. I had the slipping noise everyone is describing at about 110K. I changed the fluid and it went away for a while. But just like everyone else, it returned after a few thousand miles. Then miraculously when the weather cooled here in Wisconsin, the problem disappeared. I fear it will come back in the spring when the weather warms. During a tire rotation, my (non-Honda) mechanic told me it is probably time to change the belts. Of course, they are always recommending some kind of work so I didn't think much of it until I saw this post. I now have a theory after seeing this most recent post. As the belts stretch (or expand in warmer weather) they get loose causing the slippping. The cooler weather has caused the belts to contract and the slipping is going away for me for now. If this theory is correct, new belts may be your answer. if you go that route, please post what happens. I will likely change my belts in spring if the noise returns (depending on your post). If I go that route I will post my results. Good luck and thanks for your post--the Honda techs should check this forum out on a regular basis.

I have a 2003 HCH I bought in early 2003 that has about 60K miles. I have the same problem. It started at about 45K, after not having the fluid changed at 30K miles (I'm good with routine maintenance, done by a local garage, but that one was unexpected, and I missed it) My honda dealer (which BTW, is not the same one I bought it at) replaced the fluid at no extra charge to me at 50K miles. The problem has returned. I brought it back in, and they said that since I came in, a couple others had come in with the same problem. They are going to replace my starter clutch, and Honda is paying for it. At this point the starter clutch is back-ordered, so I am waiting for it. I am very happy at this point with the way my honda dealer has treated me.

Same issue

Guys,
    I have an '03 hybrid that is doing the same thing. I bought mine used with about 75k on it. I noticed a very slight shudder during the test drive at which time the dealer promised to fix it if it didn't go away. I took it back a week later and told them to fix it. They changed the trans fluid/filter and seemed to have solved the problem. NOT!! It came back with a vengeance at 101K(go figure...waited till the warranty ran out) at which time I took it in and spent roughly $750 on it. The dealer recommended "burnishing" the clutch. He says that the issue is in the clutch, not the transmission.
    NOTE TO SELF!!! Burnishing the clutch does NOT fix the issue. It will smooth it out for a while. The problem returned at 110K.
    I have seen this same issue on numerous blogs and am wondering two things....
    1) Has Honda lost the will to put out a quality product??(don't even get me started on the catalytic converter!!)
    2) Is there any way to get them to recall these crappy parts??

As far as I'm concerned, this car is a "lemon", the only upside thus far has been the fuel economy, but the repair bills have far outweighed the economy savings to date.

transmission saftey concerns addressed

Please address all concerns of power loss and surging due to faulty CVT transmission parts and the EGR valve in the civic hybrid to the national highway safety agency at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ . The following has been copied and pasted from the link.

By Phone

Call the DOT Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and a NHTSA representative will record your complaint information.

General Information

Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.

If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.

Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall. If the manufacturer does not initiate a recall, the government can order the manufacturer to initiate a recall.

We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.

Quote Originally Posted by dgleason View Post
    Guys,
    I have an '03 hybrid that is doing the same thing. I bought mine used with about 75k on it. I noticed a very slight shudder during the test drive at which time the dealer promised to fix it if it didn't go away. I took it back a week later and told them to fix it. They changed the trans fluid/filter and seemed to have solved the problem. NOT!! It came back with a vengeance at 101K(go figure...waited till the warranty ran out) at which time I took it in and spent roughly $750 on it. The dealer recommended "burnishing" the clutch. He says that the issue is in the clutch, not the transmission.
    NOTE TO SELF!!! Burnishing the clutch does NOT fix the issue. It will smooth it out for a while. The problem returned at 110K.
    I have seen this same issue on numerous blogs and am wondering two things....
    1) Has Honda lost the will to put out a quality product??(don't even get me started on the catalytic converter!!)
    2) Is there any way to get them to recall these crappy parts??

As far as I'm concerned, this car is a "lemon", the only upside thus far has been the fuel economy, but the repair bills have far outweighed the economy savings to date.
    The problem appears to be a quicker degradation of the transmission fluid than what Honda expected. The easier solution is to replace the Transmission fluid more frequently than called by the service schedule.

I've have heard that they are considering a reformulated ATF fluid to help extend its life at least to meet to original fluid replacement intervals. Until that or another viable solution is adopted, the more frequent fluid replacement is the best bet. In some cases the belt may have to be replaced as well in order for the problem to really go away.

Cheers;

MSantos