+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

On the subject of floor

On the subject of floor mats, did everyone see the RECALL?

This DOES NOT apply to the factory original mats that have the holes, with hold-down hooks built into the floor. Those mats are safe, and present no problem.

BUT... some Toyota dealers were selling NON-FACTORY floor mats with new car sales. Got them from some discount auto parts houses.

These non-factory floor mats can shift position, and get caught on the throttle pedal, causing the engine to go full throttle, and stay there!!!! Makes for very bad days.

p.s.- if you ever have "issues" with the throttle control system, the Prius engine can be shut down by pressing and holding down the "power" button for about three seconds. That should kill the engine regardless of transmission or throttle settings.

Normally, tapping the power button only kills the engine if the car is parked, and engine is at idle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I imagine you could also

I imagine you could also shift to neutral with the throttle stuck on.

computer refuses to shift to

computer refuses to shift to neutral at full throttle/high rpm setting. But you CAN kill the engine by holding down the "power" button as last ditch emergency.

I tried it tonight under

I tried it tonight under three difference scenarios:
    1) starting speed 55mph going uphill, accelerator all the way to the floor.
    2) starting speed 60mph going downhill, accelerator all the way to the floor.
    3) starting speed 20mph on a flat, accelerator all the way to the floor.

It worked all three times. You can't casually tap the shifter over to neutral to get it to shift. You have to hold it over for a full second to two, but it does work.

I didn't get the chance to test it from a dead stop. I'll try tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ;118558
    I just picked my new Prius, and mats were not included.
    Oh that\\\'s rubbish I didn\'t manage to get them for free either! I bought a really nice set of car mats to match my blue prius though off www.carmats-uk.com.