+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil Change

Oil Change

I just got my first oil change on my '06 hybrid civic and the dealership charged me about $13 more than a regular oil change because the "hybrids" require special oil. Does anyone know if that's true? I thought maintenance was suppose to be the same.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Oil Change

Oil changes on my and my wife's Honda Civic Hybrids are more expensive because of the special low-viscosity oil. 0W30 oil seems to have the viscosity of water - shake a half-bottle of it versus a half-bottle of ordinary 10W30 to feel the difference.

Oil Change

I can't speak for the '06 but the upside for the '03 is that you only have to change the oil every 10,000 miles instead of every 5,000 miles. This offsets the higher cost of the oil.

Oil Change

I, too, have been charged extra for the oil changes. I remember being surprised at my first oil change with my 2003 HCH. Now, when I get a coupon from the Honda dealer, it usually states that hybrids cost extra. I just bought a used 2006 and got the oil changed at 10,000 miles, but now am going to go by the maintenance minder to see how that works out. That should balance things out.

Oil Change

When you look at the big picture, there is no price difference. While hybrids (in my case, w/ my '04 HCH) do use 0W-20, which is rare, and thus more costly, the fact you change it every 5k-10k miles offsets the price, as compared to a "normal" car with 3k mile changes and standard oil.

Oil Change

The "special" oil is 0W-20. If Honda is charging more for it, they are ripping you off. Mobil 1 synthetic is available in 0W-20, and the price is the same as 5W-10, 10W-30, 5W-30, you name it. And the Honda oil is not even synthetic.

Oil Change

my honda dealer charges me the same as a regular oil change.

however, I have just reached 31,000 mi. and they want me to do the "Major service" deal for $280- Is it worth it to pay for oil change, tire rotate, inspect tie rods, sterring gears, rackboots, CV axle boots, brake pads/discs, calipers & wheel cylinders. Sounds like alot to me - However some one did recommend getting the Bilstein engine flush. any ideas? Meg

Oil Change

To Meg - For your major 30K service, take the list of recommended items (almost all of them are "inspect" this or that) to your friendly neighborhood auto service place (if you know of one). Any reputable place will do all that work for you for less than $60. Get them to sign off on it - in your warranty booklet or wherever, and you will be cool with the warranty and everything.

In my opinion, the only reason to take a car to a dealer service department is for a recall or for warranty work. There may also be some types of specialized repairs somewhere down the road that you would need a dealer for. On regular maintenance and service, they are going to be charging you roughly double what you can get the same work done for elsewhere.

Oil Change

For tire rotation, find somewhere like Goodyear or NTB and pay them once for a life-time rotation and balance. It'll be a little more than a regular rotation and balance, but you pay for it once and you're done. Go back as scheduled for rotation and balance that you've already paid for.

The other small maintenance I do myself, ie changing the filters. Just keep all of your receipts for warranty purposes.

Oil Change

I agree - for the 2003 line - the maintenance was very easy to do...

I just traded my 2003 HCH in at 108,000 miles. I did the first services with the dealer - but after that did them all myself.

On the OIL, the 0w20 is a recommendation - the manual also says you can use a 5wXX oil too. The first few changes I did I used the Honda Oil, but then I switched to synthetic 0w20 for the same price and changed it every 10K. I did experiment a couple of times in the 50,000 range to see what the difference was in MPG with the non-standard oils - and perhaps lost 2mpg from it. So went back to the 0w20 synthetics...

The CVT fluid changes are also a must every 30,000 - also easy to do yourself.

Perhaps my only mistake with the car - was NOT being careful with my replacment tires. I opted for a better tire, with a longer life - but that then costed me 2-3 mpg too. So I ended up dropping from a regular 48mpg to 44-45 mpg when I traded it in. (80% highway driving at 65mpg).

Keep all your service records - aka reciepts just in case for warrenty - but they dont' mean a hill of beans at trade-in - and they won't keep them to give to the new owner anyways.

Cheers,