+ Reply to Thread

Highlander Hybrid City MPG < Hwy MPG??

I have had my 2007 HH for about 10 days and have made three 200 round trips with city driving in between. I use cruise control @ speed limits (65 & 55) on the hwy. I get about 28 mpg (the posted rating for hwy). I drive really slowly in the city rying to keep the engine icon off as much as possible, but over the days I am in the city my mpg drops! It was rated for 31 mpg in the city. Am I doing something wrong or should I take the car in to be checked?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have a 06 4WD HiHy. The most significant factor is driving time and operating temperature. Anything less than 5 minute drive or driving while engine cold will hurt the mileage. I consistently get 26-28 MPG per tank.

I installed a scan gauge and put the setting at the current MPG. It gives feedback on average MPG per trip. I can easily get &gt;30mpg city. The trick is not to mind if the engine is running or not. Just accelerate like a regular car, if you have to push harder and cause the engine to run in order to keep up with the traffic, then go ahead. Just continue to accelerate faster than the traffic speed so you can have lots of opportunity to EV cruising or EV coasting.

The worst thing is if you try to squeeze out as much juice from the battery and then get lots of bad looks from other drivers for being very slooow. Then you are forced to speed up and lose all the high mileage that you initially accumulated. Not only that, you end up having worse fuel mileage than driving normally.

Mark, from what you said, it looks like my city drives are too short. I am interested to see what MPG I get if I "drive it like a regular car". I am under self-inflicted pressure to get the best MPG possible and may have been going about it the wrong way. Thanks for your reply and advice.

MPG numbers from real people

go to fuelecomony.gov/mpg and follow the link to see what other people around the country are getting. there are about 23 people who have registered for the HiHY. I live in NH and own a 4WD HiHY Limited 2006. We have 9,000 miles on it. Most of the driving is to and from work, 30 miles 1 way, hilly, mostly down to work mostly up coming back. We have about 8 trips over 200 miles and several at 100 miles. Our overall performance is 31.2 mpg. We avg 32.6 to work and back but a dismal 23 at 70MPH. It is better than most reports I've seen. We are gentle drivers but I don't think it makes all that much difference with the HiHY. I am not a mechanic but I am a statistician and my results are real. I keep good records and have verified the mpg displayed on the system. Gordon

Break-in

I am a 2007 owner now on tank 2. So far I am getting 25mpg in mixed flat Florida driving. Temp is 80-90F.

Does the system take a while to get working properly with the 4wd-i?

Thanks for any input.

07 Hihy limited 4wd