+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

I'm doing about 52.8 to 54

I'm doing about 52.8 to 54 out of 500 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I had heard that replacing a

I had heard that replacing a "not up to par" 12v aux battery would increase gas mileage. In my case it was true. Mileage jumped from 42 to 53. What causes the increase?

There is a park in a banana

There is a park in a banana shape where one end is open to traffic and the other end is closed. The speed limit is 25 mph and the park is about 2 miles long. When I take my Prius 2 for a drive there the round trip is about 4 miles. I noticed if I do between 20 and 25 mph and seldom use the brake the mpg goes to 53 + mpg. However, the display shows the traction battery only half charged. When I go out to the normal road with stop and go conditions the regenerative braking quickly recharges the traction battery back to normal condition. The mpg goes back to 52 + mpg.

I normally use Hess gasoline

I normally use Hess gasoline which has 10% ethanol and I have no problem with my Prius 2 2011. Sometimes I use other brands, but I don't know if there is ethanol in the gasoline. I believe Toyota suggests you use a gas station that has no more than 10% ethanol. I will gas up if I should see a gas station with 5 to 10 cents lower price.
    One thing I watch for is if I buy gasoline from a gas station and the car suddenly dies or sounds like marbles in a tin can that gas probably has water in it due to a leaky storage tank.

I purchase a 2011 Prius 2 in

I purchase a 2011 Prius 2 in January 2012 and I got 47mpg. After 1500 miles I am getting 52.6 mpg average of highway and city driving. I am not trying to get the best mpg, I am simply driving the car as I would drive any car. I assume as the car breaks in you will get better mileage. Another factor is the cold weather will hinder the improvement of mpg. This is because the engine has to run longer before it is fully heated up. Also how you use the AC in hot weather will also degrade your mpg. The bottom line is the less your engine runs the better your gas mpg. The latest results, I am getting 53.3 mpg for a combination of city and highway driving. I am still driving as I would a regular car.