+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by masamusic View Post
    53 MPG is not bad at all. Here are some tips that helped me improve my gas mileage from 43.3 MPG to 62.1 MPG.

1. Don't go over 65 MPH on the freeway. The fuel efficiency drops drastically between 65 and 70 MPH. You will get the best gas mileage at 55 - 59 MPH.
    Poor advise. Don't EVER go below the stated speed limit. I recently took a course on driver safety and the damn instructor wanted to spend 30 minutes chastising drivers for going over the limit. All the while I'm looking at his handout that shows drivers who were UNDER the limit/driving too slow, were the NUMBER 1 CAUSE OF ALL ACCIDENTS, BAR NONE. I repeat, going below the speed limit is the number 1 cause of all accidents on the road today. Keep up with the flow of traffic. Don't forgo safety for mpg. If traffic is too fast for you, get off the interstate and take a different route. It's safer.

And, from personal experience I've found the largest factor in determining gas mileage in a Prius is the use of climate controls. The fan in particular. Try setting your temp, then put fan on lowest setting. If you need to cool/warm up quickly, set fan a little higher, then down to lowest setting after a few minutes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Wrong

There are no statistics that show that. But it is a popular urban myth.

Well, actually speed never killed anyone. It's actually massive deceleration, usually caused by stopping that generally kills or injures. I suppose you could say that the massive decelleration generally puts you below the speed limit, probably at least at the time of injury (TIC).
    I don't think this really supports Mabulok's assertion though.
    I will say, however, that I feel much less safe driving 55 mph on California's freeways than I do at the speed limit or higher though - not that I do that very often.

Mabulok: you need to either

Mabulok: you need to either check your facts, or check your medications.

The absolute number one cause of accidents, fatal, non-fatal, property damage only, single car, multiple car, et al.

IS ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE!!!!!!!!

Slow drivers are a nuisance only.

But then again, non-smokers were considered a nuisance 40 years ago. I can remember when no polite person EVER asked someone not to smoke indoors. It just was not done.

To horribly misquote Dr. King, I dream of a day when my children are judged not by the speed at which they drive, but by the mileage they achive while driving.

I've been driving a rented

I've been driving a rented Prius around New York the past week. I've done everything wrong.....driving it like a taxicab. Had the heat cranked up in the cold, with a high blower setting. Filled it up today.......getting 45 mpg. I thought that was really very good. Nice car....fun to drive.

I was just told by a dealer

I was just told by a dealer that gas mileage falls significantly in the winter because gas is reformulated for the colder months. My '06 is getting low 40s. Normal is mid-40s...

I have an 06 prius and get

I have an 06 prius and get 51 mpg. I do mostly hiway driving. It all depends on how you drive the car in order to get 50 plus mpg. It is not the most comfortable car on the market but I did not buy it for comfort. I do a lot of driving so it saves me a bundle at the pump. I am considering changing my oil to synthetic type oil. I read someone elses article that did this and gained another 3--4 mpg.

To repeat what was said

To repeat what was said earlier:

Dealers like to blame oil companies for bad winter mileage. But that's not true.

Real fact is that ALL gasoline fueled engines get half their normal mileage when they are cold. Engine does not get full economy until it is up to operating temperature.

Obviously, in winter it takes LONGER for the engine to get up to full temp, therefore poorer MPG. Especially on short trips under 10 miles.

It's just a fact of how gasoline burns. At cold temps you have to dump ALOT of fuel into the cylinder to get it to fire.

Impressions of Driving 2008

Impressions of Driving 2008 Toyota Prius

Weaknesses:
    1. NIMH battery, twenty-eight 7.2 volt modules and holds a charge of 6.5 amp hours. Not powerful enough, gas engine kicks in at the first hint of any serious demands.
    2. Visibility Ė good up front, but very bad on the rear sides and rear. I live and drive in a large city aka ďcombat driving,Ē itís difficult to see when someone is flanking you even if you turn your head and look. With all the twitchy lane changers, you can get killed if you canít see whatís going on. My car has been slammed into 3 times over the last 10 years by idiots, one uninsured.
    3. Backup beeper Ė extremely annoying. How do you turn the $!@&!! thing off?
    4. Canít turn headlights on, must use driving lights during daytime, or else the dash lights, like the speedometer, will dim so much that you can barely see the display, even with dimmer all the way up. Is there an override thatíll fix this?
    5. The speedometer and fuel gage, etc., are stuck in a hole at the very front of the dash, so the passenger has little idea whatís going on. Move it out a bit so everyone can see this.
    6. Idiot lights, no RPM indicator, no temperature gage for engine, no oil pressure, etc.
    7. 1.5 liter engine, slightly underpowered for some interstate highway hills, acceleration a bit lacking at highway speeds. Overall performance is Ok, but if you have to go up some Interstate hills, youíll hear the engine kick down, twice, and it revs up pretty high, more than I like to see.
    8. The center dash controls for climate, display, etc. Too many button pushes to get something simple done, like recirculate/circulate, and turning AC on or off. Just to go from recirculate to circulate air, you must push three buttons. (change the display, push recirculate, push display button again.)
    9. There can be a very slight hesitation upon taking off from a stop light due to the engine startup. You can also feel it ďsurgingĒ at highway speeds sometimes as itís trying to decide which engine to use, regenerative charging, etc.

Positive:
    1. Leg room, nearly identical to Camry. I canít stand the Corolla for this reason, legs hit steering wheel even with the seat all the way back, and then must extend arms straight out with elbows almost locked to reach steering wheel. This is a huge plus, enough to make me not want to buy it otherwise. The carís shape or unusual look or styling has no impact on my buying decision. If this changes to Corolla dimensions in a future model of the Prius, I wonít buy a Prius.
    2. Fairly quiet, smooth ride, wouldnít be afraid to drive it long-distance, pretty decent road car.
    3. Surprisingly roomy.
    4. Gas mileage exceeded my expectations; I recorded 48, 49, 52, 54, 37 (severe Santa Anna headwinds for 200 miles) and 49.2 mpg, with most of those miles being highway miles at up to 75 Ė 80 mph, about 10% city miles. At lower speeds, 40ís, 50ís and some 60 mph driving, gas mileage went as high as 54 Ė 56 mpg. If you really babied it, slow acceleration and keep it down to 60mph, I believe you could get at least high 50ís mpg.
    5. There are some people in the oil exporting nations that lie awake at night and fantasize about methods to kill Americans and destroy America. I canít stand the concept of sending truckloads of money to these folks. That said, even if battery technology isnít where it should be, why couldnít the Prius operate on 85/15 Ethanol to allow further significant reductions in gas usage? How difficult can that be?

#1: The batteries are

#1: The batteries are evolving. The biggest problem is getting a battery pack to last 100,000 miles/10 years. Toyota hopes to offer more powerfull battery packs to allow "plug-in hybrid" operations.

#2: I drive trucks for a living, so I am used to using my mirrors (unlike most motorists). With 3" round spot mirrors added to the lower outside corner of the rear view mirrors I have absolute 360 visibility, no blind spots. But you DO have to use the mirrors.

Complaint #3: see http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-userguide.htm

on page 4 is the directions to disable the backup beeper. Lots of other helpful hints as well.

#4: The display should be variable up to full brightness with lights on. I drive around all day with lights on. Check the "display" settings on the center display. There are default settings for both "day" (no headlights) and "night" (headlights on). One of the settings may be set too low. If not, see dealer, the display should be able to go to full daytime brightness with headlights on.
    (this WAS a problem with my old Honda, would only go to half brightness max, when headlights on).

#5: I'll give you that one. But how often does the passenger need to worry about the fuel gauge?

#6: Google "ScanGauge" After market instrument display that plugs into computer plug, and velcros to dash. You can program it for your choice of parameter display.

#7: Engine is designed to operate at high RPM, don't worry.

#8: Controls on steering wheel take care of 90% of climate controls you should need to use. AC on/off, fresh/recirculate, temp up/down, defrost mode on/off.

#9: It's a HYBRID, not a race car! If you are looking for jackrabbit starts, high speed acceleration and a sexy VROOM sound, you bought the wrong car. It gets 50MPG+, has very good handling, and a relatively roomy interior. On the plus side, Al Gore's son did get caught racing the state troopers at 100MPH+ in a Prius.