+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

How to Get a Higher Gas Mileage on Prius

53 MPG is not bad at all. Here are some tips that helped me improve my gas mileage from 43.3 MPG to 62.1 MPG.

1. Don't go over 65 MPH on the freeway. The fuel efficiency drops drastically between 65 and 70 MPH. You will get the best gas mileage at 55 - 59 MPH.
    2. USE CRUISE CONTROL on the freeway. You WILL see an immediate result with this.
    3. USE CRUISE CONTROL in the city as much as you can. You can get on cruise control at 25 MPH or above.
    4. When you accelerate, don't slam on the gas. Go easy and gradual. If you are at 25 MPH or above, you can use the "up" and "down" shift on cruise control to accelerate or decelerate.
    5. If you see a red light ahead of you or when you KNOW you'll have to stop soon, let go of gas and start coasting. The less you have to rely on the brake to stop, the better gas mileage you get.
    6. You won't get as good gas mileage when your outside temperature is below 40 F or above 90 F. The idea temperature is between 50-70 F.

On your next trip, try going steady at 57 MPH with cruise control on the freeway while having your "Trip Information" on your screen and see what it tells you. I think it will raise your eyebrows. Good luck

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Currently sitting at 61.7 mpg

On this tank of gas, I have gone 620 miles with the average reading 61.7 and I havent even started using the last fuel "bar" yet. I have almost 20k miles on my 2006 Prius. Like almost everyone I've heard talk about, I have experimented with trying to find the best gas mileage. I have 2 secrets: 1) I drive in "neutral" as much as possible and 2) when I drive on the highway, I draft behind big semi trucks, or just a big truck/suv can help too, but not as much as a semi truck.

I drive mostly in the city and usually dont go above 50 miles per hour. I dont have a lead foot and accelerate at a casual pace. What I mean to driving in "neutral" is by looking at the energy monitor, the one with all the arrows. Once I slow down to 40 miles an hours, I carefully place my foot on the gas until there are no arrows at all. This is tricky and can take a little get used to, but since I've started doing it, my MPG has finally gone above 60, and is still climbing. It was always dancing between 56 and 58. Now every time I drive my car to work (26 miles), it keeps increasing another .1 to .2 MPG.

When I do drive on the highway, I drove from West Palm Beach, FL to Jacksonville, FL and drafted almost the entire way. My MPG rose from 57 to 60 by the time my trip was over. When drafting, a lot of people say it's not safe, but I found that you dont have to draft 10 feet behing the semi's. I'm far enough away that another semi could fit between me and the one I'm drafting on. I cruise at 70 miles per hour and watch as the average MPG actually goes up. The yellow bar graph is solid at 60 to 65 all the way across.

It takes discipline and patience, but it works.

2007 Prius

I just bought my Prius 2 weeks ago and after 1082 miles I'm up to 51 MPG. I was worried after the first tank of gas I was only averaging 46 but have paid attention to my driving style and watched the average go up gradually. My driving is a mix of highway 2-3 days a week and around town the rest.

glenn

Modes of operation!

The prius actually has 5 modes of operation as far as I can tell:

1. For fast accel its uses the gas and electric for more torque
    2. highway it uses gas only mode and charges the battery at the same time
    3. electric only mode you can cruise and enjoy great gas mileage
    4. regen mode is crusing down a slope with the gas pedal released
    5. is a special mode, when you release the gas pedal and the arrows on the energy screen go black. In this mode you will not use gas or electric.

47-48 mpg around town
    55 highway
    NJ
    2006 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Snyder View Post
    I'm sort of disappointed. My Prius is stuck at 40-45 mpg for around town, This is a lot lowere than the 60 mpg on the sticker in the sales lot.
    Toyota and/or the dealership is NOT who makes the 61mpg guestimate, it is the EPA, and it is estimated at optimum performance levels, as an average, not an absolute every time figure. Jeff if you would look at the other MPG estimates out in the REAL world and compare them with what the vehicles HONESTLY are getting, trust me, you have got a winner with your Prius!!!

Mike

over 60mpg

I've owned my Prius since September last year and have done over 14,000 miles. I managed to tip (avg) 60mpg when the weather picked up, but now run at 59.5. I know it dips with AC or heating on!

When I start in the morning, I let the car run stationery until the engine cuts out and then start my journey - this has improved the early morning MPG.

When I come to a junction I throw the gear into B early on and then brake gently to increase the battery charge. Don't leave it too late to put back into D or the engine will cut back in. When the Battery is over 80% charged, she'll run at over 70MPG whilst cruising without over draining the charge.

Also check the tyres regularly, if theyr'e not even, this will also reduce the MPG.

I've had my 2007 Prius 5 months, have about 5500 miles and have consistently gotten ONLY about 35 mpg in town. On rare occasions when I do highway, I average about 47 mpg. When I first questioned my Toyota service center at about 2,000 miles, I was told there was a break-in period. Now at 5500 miles, I'm told there's a 15,000 break-in period! Everyone who has written here talks about GREAT mileage well before 5,000 miles. I just took it in for its first service and asked them to check it and they said there was nothing to check for mileage -- just be patient. What gives?

better mileage

1. Only drive downhill.

2. When you get to the bottom of the hill, sell the car and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    my prius seems to be stuck at 53 MPG, how can I increase it even more???

I have 5k miles on it, and got it serviced yesterday, oilchange and everything.

Any suggestions? please email me @ metalgearrex52@hotmail.com with "Prius" or "MPG" in the subject. thanks

David

53 is good

My 2006 has 26500 miles. My overall average is 49 mpg. One interesting observation is that I drove to the Grand Tetons in Wyoming last summer and then back thru Idaho and Oregon and then home to Pismo Beach, CA last August. I was amazed that my average for the trip was 51 mpg. I wasn't exactly going slow thru the long desert runs in Nevada and Idaho. It took me a while to realize that the oxygen sensor was probably cutting back on fuel mixture when at altitude. Yes, I am an engineer, nuclear.

Prius Better Gas Mileage

Ive read quite a few posts on people not happy with their gas mileage so Im going to share my secret and dont worry I cant get rich by sharing this with anyone but you can do your own homework before you take a chance on it.

I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS and a 2001 BMW X5 3.0 and for the past 2.5years I have been using Pure ACETONE in my gas tank after every fill-up, dont freak out its not going to blow up your engine or anything like that, it will not burn your cylinders!!!! So how much you ask for every 10 Gallons of Unleaded Fuel use 3oz. of ACETONE only, nothing else, it cannot be mixed with any other solvents no other additives, you should see somewhere around a 25%-40% improvement on your gas gauge. So your asking why does this work, well its really simple and I think the big oil companies should be mandated to add Acetone to their supply line so its already at the pump when you fill up. Gas has a high surface tension, that is why you get buildup in your engine and carbon deposits, because much of the gas passing through is wasted and never combusts completely, when you add ACETONE you chemically reduce the surface tension of gas and the best part is a tiny bit goes a long way, it literally makes your gas a lighter substance for lack of a better word and it burns or combusts more completely with ACETONE, and finallly ACETONE is alot cheaper than spending $5+ for fuel additives everytime you fillup. REMEMBER!!!!
    3oz. ACETONE for every 10Gallons of fuel, this will also work on DIESEL but you only need 2oz. of Acetone for every 10Gallons of fuel.

ENJOY saving money, feel free to thank me all you want I accept compliments only no donations, LOL!:-)