+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help increasing 06 Prius gas mileage

my prius seems to be stuck at 53 MPG, how can I increase it even more???

I have 5k miles on it, and got it serviced yesterday, oilchange and everything.

Any suggestions? please email me @ metalgearrex52@hotmail.com with "Prius" or "MPG" in the subject. thanks

David

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Help increasing 06 Prius gas mileage

I'm sort of disappointed. My Prius is stuck at 40-45 mpg for around town, This is a lot lowere than the 60 mpg on the sticker in the sales lot.

Prius mileage -- EPA sticker is a joke!

Consumer Reports estimates far closer to reality. I'm getting around 44, mixed city & highway with 2900 miles on my '06. Wife's lead foot could be the prob...

You are already doing terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    my prius seems to be stuck at 53 MPG, how can I increase it even more???
    David
    Wow, man! 53MPG is not good? The actual mileage greatly depends on the way you drive but yours is absolutely fantastic! I would assume you are doing better than 95% of the pack. With all honesty, that's about two times better that you could have gotten from a regular compact car, anyways.

I think you can actually SHARE some secrets of frugal driving, not looking for anybody's tips on how to do better.

I am stuck at 47MPH (mostly highway). I am looking up to you to teach me how to do better

Cheers,
    D~
    Check out my Prius Blog

robertahelms

David, 53 is great, I really try to get max mileage and average 49 mph combined hyway and city. I have 6500 miles on my 2006. Robert Helms

its me, David

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the long absence, but now my 06 prius is at 10500 miles and hovering at 47 MPG, still good right?

fuelzilla, you have AIM or yahoo?

You are doing great and shouldn't worry about it. I average 47 mpg and have abt. 12,500 miles on my 2005.

increasing gas mileage

Your mpg sounds good to me. I'm driving around town, mostly, and averaging 48 to 49. My Mercury Villager 99 with only 35,ooo on it, and I might add, regret selling, only averaged 20mpg. Letting it go for $10,500 irks me that I did that. Biggest worry for my wife is she heard the Prius magnetic field is cancer causing. Any words of wisdom, anyone....

EMF in hybrids vs. air pollution and oil dependence

You all get fine gas mileage from your Prius. It depends on many factors, such as length of commute, driving style, and even tire pressure. I have chosen to sacrifice a few mpg in exchange for stickier tires while my teenager learns to drive on the car, so I get around 42. My worst tank happened over the last two weeks, when the roads were coated with ice, I had the heater on full blast, and I didn't drive more than a couple miles at a time.

willyj, if your wife is concerned about electromagnetic fields causing cancer, she has a lot more to worry about than a Prius. I looked into it a while back, and if your residence has electricity, you're likely getting plenty of electromagnetic radiation. Of course, if a new study comes out that proves otherwise, I'm all ears.

But this kind of urban legend undermines a technology that actually addresses the huge, real problems of air quality and petroleum dependence. Until we have proof otherwise, I'd say that hybrid cars represent the lesser of two evils.

regenerative braking

My recommendation is:
    Press the brake very gently at high speed, then more and more when the Prius slowes down.

Here is a graph:
    http://www.hybridsynergydrive.com/en...e_braking.html
    It is the MG2 acceleration graph, http://www.hybridsynergydrive.com/en...ric_motor.html
    but flipped.