+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid car - 80mpg - 0-60- in 4 seconds

So I read a little more...

this solution is very intriguing. Since not only does it add highly fuel efficient yet very sporty power, but the design is also AWD by default.

if it is possible to build arrodable vehicles with this drivetrain, there are a lot of market segments which are just premade for this kind of solution. (Subaru Impreza and other subcompact sports cars, the entire SUV market, and possibly elements of military or law enforcement)

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid car - 80mpg - 0-60- in 4 seconds

The hub motor concept always comes up whenever smart people start thinking about adding electric motors to a vehicle. Unfortunately, the wheel hubs are subject to all the impacts from the road with no shock protection as is afforded an engine above the suspension. See:
    http://www.teslamotors.com/blog1/?cat=21 for a very good discussion of this and other trades that Tesla made in their EV roadster that will clearly beat the converted Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by ex EV1 driver View Post
    The hub motor concept always comes up whenever smart people start thinking about adding electric motors to a vehicle. Unfortunately, the wheel hubs are subject to all the impacts from the road with no shock protection as is afforded an engine above the suspension. See:
    http://www.teslamotors.com/blog1/?cat=21 for a very good discussion of this and other trades that Tesla made in their EV roadster that will clearly beat the converted Mini.
    He wrote about unsprung weight wich is very different from shock protection. The electric motor is very easy to shock proof so that's not a problem.
    Anyway, the unsprung weight replaced on the Mini in question is 49,6 lbs and the replacement weight is 52,9 lbs. Itīs most likely not noticed when driving unless it's the worst road you've driven on and you drive like a rally driver on speed. With these motors unsprung weight isn't a problem and will be an advantage the bigger the wheels and brakes are that are replaced.

Knappen

I think one reason the increase in unsprung weight isn't larger is because the mechanical braking system was eliminated. I didn't see whether or not the mechanical handbrake system was also eliminated.

It would seem foolish to have no backup braking system to stop the vehicle in the event of a system failure.

hybrid desighn

i dont get why major car compaines like chevy and ford dont make replica cars indenticle to the origionals for example the 69 camaro but put a electric motor in it . There would be such a high demand for hybrid cars if they did that instead of making them look all futuristic and putting the rear wheels inside the car and what not.

and a question ,is it possible to convert a 89 camaro into a hybrid by just switching the motor or is there more to it ?
    thanks

-nick

Very few (maybe zero) '60's cars would pass modern crash safety tests without major modifications. This is why the new T-Bird or Mini-Cooper look more like a Honda Accord than their classic ancestors.
    Just switching the motor isn't all, you'd probably need to change the tranny and do a lot of hard metal modifications (cutting and welding). Additionally, there aren't a lot of old Hybrid drivetrains lying around the junkyards yet.

With the new hybrid transmission GM is working on for their SUVs, that may not be as difficult as it seems. From what I understand, it's a RWD 6-speed transmission with dual electric motors in one package. Depending on whether or not the control unit is integrated in the transmission, it could be as simple as adapting it to the engine and having the proper mounts fabbed along with installing a battery pack.

The aftermarket transmission companies could engineer bolt-in products with the motor and controller circuitry built-in to the transmission. All you'd need then is some type of energy storage unit to plug into it.

The only aftermarket product I've seen was a very mild kit that used an alternator replacement-type motor much like the first Saturn Vue hybrid used. (http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/elect...trocharger.php)