+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid car - 80mpg - 0-60- in 4 seconds

seems that these guys have found a way to make hybrid cars appeal the adrenalin junkies as well as the tree huggers!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Straight up awesome!!! So when can we get one in the USA?

Many media outlets are now reporting that President Bush, sometimes characterized by opponents at the "Toxic Texan" has reversed his alleged anti environment, pro big oil stance to embrace renewable energy and fuel efficiency.

Even if this is a singular political move and perhaps not sincere, this post especially shows the requisite technology is in place.

Presumably, in a larger, 5 passenger package, economy may drop to 40 MPG but even at that, way better than existing hybrids when the other performance virtues are considered.

Bravo.

good point about the 5seater package. I am wondering when these hybrid manufacturers begin incorporating lightweight materials in the car itself..it never seems to be mentioned as a "selling point" that the car is using lightweight components...strange...AND it would help these type of vehicles to provide 80mpg in a "5seater package"....what you think?

Mike, you knew about the aluminum body and frame of the Insight, didn't you? They even made a cast magnesium oil pan to save weight - see http://www.insightcentral.net/encycl...ineweight.html.

Thomas Friedman sometimes documentary interviewer and sometimes columnist at the NYT did a TV show that included a segment with Amory Lovins, conservationist/environmentalist. In the show, Friedman is invited to attempt to smash a carbon fiber composite. (he could not hurt it with a sledgehammer)

Then he picks up an entire auto body section reputed to be stronger than steel and obviously less heavy than metal.

Why is it so difficult to start a new auto manufacturing facility? Is this like the story of the Tucker all over again?

Hi Paul....greeat site and great info...i'll use it for research..thanks. Yes i do know these guys are using aluminum and other such materials however Audi used similar materials for a car almost 10 years ago (or maybe earlier even) ...what i'm lookin for proof of is the new stuff like what MAK mentions in his post , composites, and maybe even NASA inspired materials :-) ...after all thats where we got Teflon from:-)))
    thanks again guys

Here are the composites Amory Lovins uses.

http://www.fiberforge.com

Fiberforge is a Colorado company. Amory thinks their product is good for cars.

There are other comments at his web site:

http://www.rmi.org

Hope this helps Mike_4

Mak ...thats super!! the RMI link is a real good one!
    I've been researchin battery technology etc and it has some great info on there!
    Thanks again.

Actually mike Dupont developed deflon during WWII.

fancy new technologies often aren't quite as fancy or as new as expected, merely not yet implemented on the proper scale to make use of it.

all of that being said, a practical family car with 50+ mpg and strong performance will get big time sales. (I still think 50/200 is the magic ratio for the family car market, but if this design can be rolled out with better capabiltiies then keeping up with demand maybe be the biggest worry)