+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Prius Tires

What you probably

What you probably experienced was "vortex shedding". You know the way a flag flaps back and forth in a breeze. When the wind and your car speed is right, you get air pressure waves coming in the windows. Its the same pressure waves that push a flag back and forth. Because the vortex pressure waves coming in the window cause rapid, low pressure changes in the car's interior air pressure many times a second, your ears hear a very loud, very low frequency pulsing sound. Kind of like being inside a bass drum.

If your tires were causing pulsations due to wear, pressure, out-of-round then you would hear it regardless of the windows being up or down.

Low frequency noise thru open windows is usually wind generated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Exactly. Try playing with

Exactly. Try playing with the positions of all four windows. You can get rid of the air noise by adjusting them. I seem to remember that I had to have not just the front windows but the back windows open at least a crack to get rid of it.

The tire pressure gauge

The tire pressure gauge comes on whenever the pressures in your tires are uneven; the fronts have to match and the backs have to match. The light will go away as soon as you even out the tire pressure. Uneven tire pressure is a safety concern for sudden braking; it can put a car into a spin.

I have a 2010 Prius

I have a 2010 Prius purchased in June. Just had my 5,000 mile service, including tire rotation, last Sunday and two days later got a flat tire. Of course the dealer says it's nothing to do with the tire rotation ... just a happy coincidence that I got a flat tire the first time I drove the car after having the tires rotated.

My 2007 will turn on the

My 2007 will turn on the tire light every time the weather turns cold. As soon as it warms up, the light goes off.

Check your tire pressure,

Check your tire pressure, and then reset the tire warning sensor (instructions in the owner's manual.

Its a great technology and

Its a great technology and nice sharing.thanks to all of you,because providing a good information.
    http://flats-screen-tv-stands.us

Its a great technology and

Its a great technology and nice sharing.thanks to all of you,because providing a good information.
    http://flats-screen-tv-stands.us

This is a follow up from my

This is a follow up from my earlier post:
    I still recommend the Bridgestone "Ecopia" tire for a Prius (ours is 2007). After a year a half (about 25k miles) we are getting normal or less wear and found no difference in our mpg (about 54 to 55 mpg) from before.

We live in the Santa Cruz, CA area and have dry summers and wet winters (40 inches of rain). We frequently drive over a very windy (as in curvy) highway over the mountains that is known for accidents for aggressive drivers or poor conditions. We have had no poor handling/slipping issues there. This is important to note because some tires handle well initially, but degrade as the material wears (manufacturers make a better "outer" layer to the tire).

Prior to this, we had the factory Goodyear tires that lasted for about 40k miles with the same mpg as above (our measured mpg is about the same as the computer readout).

If you buy tires, get a place that does free rotation/balance and get a lifetime alignment. I get the oil change there but do my major repairs elsewhere because a tire shop is a tire shop.

whoops again: I am not

whoops again: I am not anonymous... and still recommend ecopias.