+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Prius Tires

Prius Tires

We are on our fourth set of tires for the 2002 Prius - the only aspect of the car that we are (very!) disappointed about. The problem has been uneven and rapid treadwear, and we do rotate at regular intervals. Any thoughts about a new brand of tires, or strategies for extending the life of tires on a Prius. Just bought a 2006 and wonder whether we'll have the same problem!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Prius Tires

Same here. uneven wear, back wheel looks angled, Has anybody found a good tire for the prius?

Prius Tires

If tires are wearing out that quickly I would have the dealer check your alignment. If you are rotating your tires, that would just have them all wear out quickly also.

Is the treadwear even? Lopsided?

My '05 Prius has 45,000 mi on the original set of tires with no noticeable problems....

good luck.

Prius Tires

I own a 2005 Prius and went through 2 sets of tires by 20,000 miles. I put a set of Michelin Hydroedge on and so far they are wearing fine. I did have an alignement problem that was fixed when the 1st set wore out prematurely, which doesn't explain the second set. The Michelins did decrease mileage slightly but it was worth it to me.

tires

My 2002 has 97000 mile on the clock, third set of tires. Went 31000 on factory, about 30000 on the second, (they did well cocidering that they were not rated LT load like the fatory, they had lots of tread but seperated.) Now on the third set Michelin Hydro edge, al litte larger and wider than factory, lost about 1/2mpg, but tye stick like glue, and after about 30000mi don't show any ware, I think they will make the 50-60000 rating.
    We just put a set on Michelin MXV 4 plus on our 2004 at about 53,000, and my partner seens to like them, now that he set the air pressure wright. He runs around 40psi (so do I). The new tires seam to be more stable at speeds than Factory, and he didn't seam to loose milage.

Went 42,000 on orig Goodyear

Went 42,000 on orig Goodyear tires, 2006 Prius. New set is Kumho but my mileage has dropped to 43.8-44.2. What is going on??? I always got 47-49mpg

Ginger: Check your new

Ginger: Check your new tire's "traction" rating as compaired to the old tires.

High Traction = High Friction = More rolling resistance = lower mileage.

Prius typically uses hard rubber, low friction tires for better mileage.

good to hear what this group

good to hear what this group is saying since my experience is similar: my 05 prius just blew a tire at 28500. all of the other tires are practically bare. it never occurred to me to even look--no other car i've owned has ever been a worry below 80K! why does goodyear list 50K life if no one is getting that. i'm annoyed and would love to hear the reason.

My 2006 Prius has totally

My 2006 Prius has totally worn out tires on the insides after perfect maintenence every month for the almost 2 years we've owned the car. The Toyota dealership will take no responsibility for the problem. We are right now putting very expensive tires on in the hope of a safer car. It has to be a design problem. The guy with the 2005 that says he has no problem with his tires....does anyone know if there was a design change from 05 to 06 relating to tire efficiency? Thank you

We have just turned 50,000

We have just turned 50,000 on our 05 prius . The service manager at Toyota told us that one tire was at the minimum tread wear depth of 3 mm the others were at 4mm so we are going to buy a new set. Because of the small size of these tires (more revolutions per mile) 50,000 miles seems like a decent number to get. We don't drive hard and do want to optimize our mileage so we will try to replace these Goodyears with the identical tires . Hope this next set does as well. We did notice the outside edge of these tires seem more worn than the middle of the tread. All tire rotations were done on schedule.