+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

My passanger side headlight

My passanger side headlight went out last Nov. 2009. It was replaced free after I complained, but they tried to stick me for over $1000. Then this May I called again because it was flickering on and off and sometimes not working at all. They basically told me too bad so sad. Then I was driving my Prius in town and it went into Neutral on its own. I flipped it back into drive and it went back into neutral. This kept happening for about 20 to 30 minutes. I pulled over for 10 min. Then started car and it was fine. I went to dealership. First they stated the headlight was a different one than the one in Nov. Therefore they would not replace it free. BULL! Then they said it was the auxiliary battery making my car go into neutral. I don't think so. I could have been rear ended and killed. Anyway $591 for both problems that Toyota should have to fix FREE! Anyone out there with shifting problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

good to hear others are

good to hear others are experiencing the same problem.....or maybe not. my pasanger side is out and I am trying to repalce it.......although occasionally if tap on the light it comes back on...I was thinking it is a short, but by the sounds of all other input its likely a manufactor defect.

I also have had problems

I also have had problems with my headlights. It started quite a long time ago with my passenger side headlight going off and if I flicked it, it came back on. I kept asking the dealership to check because there was a short in it. They kept telling me it was because the bulb needed to be changed. Well, with the cost quoted over $400.00 to change, I decided I would keep flicking it. Then the drivers side light went out completely and I had no choice but to have them both replaced. It cost about $450.00. Well, I drove for a few days, and guess what? My drivers side headlight is going out intermittently again and they are both new lights. I also have a warning light that keeps coming on. Now Toyota is telling me that the warning light and the headlight going out are 2 different things. They put in a new sensor free of charge, but it hasn't changed anything. They tell me the technician told them my old headlights were indeed defective. That's easy to say when they have already disposed of the old lights. Well,....why are the new ones going out? Are they defective too? Toyota has not heard the last from me.

This worked perfectly.

This worked perfectly. Thanks for your step by step instructions. It saved me $100 although I was surprised that the bulb cost $129 at Pep Boys!

which is the cheapest way to

which is the cheapest way to change the heade light blubs

As a 2006 Prius owner with

As a 2006 Prius owner with 50,000 miles and with headlights that wink on and off, I plan to replace my headlight bulbs myself and sell the damn car. I have had a water pump issue and now headlights, the cost to replace at a dealership is exorbitant. I have purchased my last Toyota product, this was the first import that I have had (always Ford or Chevrolet) but it will be the last.

one of my headlights on my

one of my headlights on my 2007 Prius kept going out. the post about taking off the bumper, etc to replace a bulb is very true! Only if you have HID lamps (high intensity discharge) which I believe comes on all models with Options 2 and 3. If you have a regular lamp- it cost $5 or $10 from any auto parts store and you can replace in ten minutes by following instructions in your owner's manual. The Toyota dealer told me it would cost $500 to replace both- and the car had only about 50K miles on it. However, the service manager told me that Toyota recognizes that there is a problem with he HID lamps and if you call them or write they may reimburse the cost. He gave me a Toyota phone number, I sent the requested copy of the receipt for the repair, and Toyota sent me a check! Since then- most of you likely received a notice if you are the first owner of the car, that Toyota now admits the problem with their HID lamps and are giving people a certain amount of $$ to have the HID laps replaced. I don't recall the numbers - I want to think it was that Toyota will give you $150 a lamp for the repair. Mine was all free- but at least now the admit they are bad lamps and you can get something for it. HID lamps cost so much as an option because they are NEVER supposed to fail - unless you are in an accident and they get trashed.
    Hope this helps someone. Good luck all.

Toyota has admitted they

Toyota has admitted they have defective HID lamps! Read this.

one of my headlights on my 2007 Prius kept going out. I had already hear horror stories about the cost to replace. It is tru that they take off the bumper, and a lot of other stuff to geet at the lamp. Only if you have HID lamps (high intensity discharge) which I believe comes on all models except no Options or the lower end Option- I don't recall. I got every Option. If you have a regular lamp- it cost $5 or $10 from any auto parts store and you can replace in ten minutes by following instructions in your owner's manual. HID lamps are not a little bulb- it is a large assembly. The Toyota dealer told me it would cost over $500 to replace both- and the car had only about 50K miles on it. However, the service manager told me that Toyota recognizes that there is a problem with the HID lamps and if you call them or write they may reimburse the cost - some of his customers said that they had been reimbursed. He gave me a Toyota phone number, I sent the requested copy of the receipt for the repair, and Toyota sent me a check in the full amount!! Since then- most of you likely received a notice if you are the first owner of the Prius, that Toyota now admits the problem with their HID lamps and are giving people a certain amount of $$ to have the HID laps replaced. I don't recall the numbers - I want to think it was that Toyota will give you $150 a lamp for the repair. Mine was all free- but at least now the admit they are bad lamps and you can get something for it. HID lamps cost so much as an option because they are NEVER supposed to fail - unless you are in an accident and they get trashed.
    Hope this helps someone. Good luck all.

Dear Larry, I've 2008 Prius,

Dear Larry, I've 2008 Prius, I have same problem, my driver side light goes off, turn it off then turn on that gives you full light for 10-15 minutes. Toyota dealer asking me $380 to fix one light, it is not covered under extended warranty. Please add my name to the list. Thanks

My 2008 Prius' driver's side

My 2008 Prius' driver's side headlight goes on and off. I was told when the car cooled and you started it again the headlight would go back on.
    I decided for fear of a ticket and the passenger side possibly going out too, to get my driver's side headlight repaired. Dealerships charge between $160 and $180 per bulb; Pep Boys $130 and Candlepower and Partsgeek.com sell one for 99+ shipping. When I told my dealership I could get the bulb for $130 at Pep Boys they reduced their price to $150+$99 (each side) for labor. Labor prices vary among dealerships up to $212.
    Toyota is a rip off. I purchased from a local mechanic my 2 bulbs (thought it would be reasonable and safe to replace both) and he will charge $80 to install them.
    I have 50K miles on my car; I estimate that I drive no more than 15 hours a week. These lights are supposed to last at least 10,000 hours - in less than 2 1/2 yrs they have lasted about 2,000 hours. What is this???
    I have filed a complaint and have a case number with the factory. 800 331-4331. I will never buy another Toyota!