+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44

Wish I had found this page

Wish I had found this page before buying a used 2008 Prius. Love the car... but was shocked that the guys at VIP who offered to install it ofr me said it would take a half an hour of labor...
    I guess I"ll give it a try... though it seems absurd. If I can't do it I'll bring it back to them....
    I'll replace both, hoping to minimize the frustration.

And how do you tell if you have HID or regular halogen bulbs?
    One more question -- how do you find out if you are eligible for the class action reimbursement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Wish I had found this page before buying a used 2008 Prius. Love the car... but was shocked that the guys at VIP who offered to install it ofr me said it would take a half an hour of labor...
    I guess I"ll give it a try... though it seems absurd. If I can't do it I'll bring it back to them....

One more question -- how do you find out if you are eligible for the class action reimbursement?

My front drivers side

My front drivers side headlight went out as well. I was told by a mechanic that the bulb itself costs a couple of hundred dollars plus the labor to remove the bumper etc. He also said that there is a risk of elecrocution if done by an amateur. Not sure if I believe that but Im not going to try it myself just in case. I notice as I drive around at night (without a new bulb) that I see many Prius' with one light out. I have been holding out wondering the same as you. I havent brought it in to fix but as soon as I do I will report back with my findings.

My front drivers side

My front drivers side headlight went out as well. I was told by a mechanic that the bulb itself costs a couple of hundred dollars plus the labor to remove the bumper etc. He also said that there is a risk of elecrocution if done by an amateur. Not sure if I believe that but Im not going to try it myself just in case. I notice as I drive around at night (without a new bulb) that I see many Prius' with one light out. I have been holding out wondering the same as you. I havent brought it in to fix but as soon as I do I will report back with my findings.

!I have a 2006 Prius with

!I have a 2006 Prius with 112,000 miles. The right headlight burnt out (after going off until I flicked it back on for many months) so I went to the dealer and bought a new bulb ($150) and follwed the instructions in the manual to install it myself. It turns out you don't need a screwdriver. This was my first time so it took 30 minutes, if I have to do it again it will only take 5. Moat of the battle is learning how the car is put together.
    It would have cost $99 dollars for labor to have the dealer install it!

Is this still an ongoing

Is this still an ongoing issue? I have a 2007 Prius with less than 32K miles on it ... and with everything except leather seats ... and I'm having problems also. Now, on top of a tempermental headlight (driver's side), both tail lights are out. The brake lights work but not the tail lights. I love my car and have bragged about it incessantly. However, to have ANYTHING done at the dealership is prohibitively (sp?) expensive and for a Toyota product, this should not be a problem. Pls let me know if there has been a recall or a class action suit. SOMETHING has to be done as this is obviously a BIG problem.

I have a 2005 Prius and

I have a 2005 Prius and every year I have to replace my headlights. One goes out then a month later the other one goes out. I would love to see a class action suit on this.

I have a 2008 Prius Touring Model. The right headlight would go out, but lifting the hood and wiggling the wire would cause it to come back on until I shut off the car. A real annoyance. It turned out to be defective connector that was burnt. They replaced it under the extended warranty.

The same headlight bulb then burnt out. I replaced it in about 20 minutes. Identical bulbs to the original equipment are available at Pep Boys. Cost was between 10 and 15 dollars as I recall. The big hassle is getting to the bulb and working by feel.

The right headlight has just gone out at 82,000 miles, so I guess I get to do it again; or I might just trade it in during daylight hours.

The high dealer quotes for replacing the bulb are ridiculous.

Other than the headlight issue, I\'ve only put tires and oil changes into the car, so I guess I shouldn\'t complain, but I am disappointed at Toyota for not acknowledging the obvious headlight issues.
    Last edited by Gottasmilealot; 04-24-2014 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Here\\\'s the Bulb

Original equipment spec Philips 9003 B1 bulb is available at Pep Boys for under $11.00. The right front bulb in my 2008 Prius took 25 minutes to replace. 5 minutes to get to the bulb, 15 minutes of cursing and swearing to get the old one out (getting the spring clip off the old one while working by feel is the hardest part), and about 5 minutes to install the new bulb and put it all back together.
    1. Remove the left side bolt on the top of the plastic cowling.
    2. Remove the one bolt securing the air intake extension plastic piece.
    3. Unplug the 3 prong connector from the back of the bulb.
    4. Grab the collar of the rubber boot protecting the back of the light socket assembly, turn it to the left until it unlocks, and remove it (it fits tightly at the bulb base so water can\\\'t enter).
    5. Feel for and release the clip holding the bulb in at it\\\'s metal+ collar.
    6. Insert the new bulb into the fixture without touching the bulb with your hands or fingers.
    7. Clip the bulb in by swinging the clip over it to hold it in.
    8. re-install the rubber boot.
    9. Plug the connector back on to the bulb.
    10. Try it to be sure it works before bolting the rest back up.
    11. Re-install the air intake extension.
    12. Put the fastener back on the plastic cowling.

Good luck!