+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

add my name to the list...

add my name to the list... passenger light went out...rear left goes out too. 3 tickets later....this is BS. And turning the lights off and on while driving is crazy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

First off I own a 2007

First off I own a 2007 Prious Touring model with 60,00 miles and originally purchased it to "save money". I had a friend notice recently that my headlight was out but when I checked it there was no problem. That was weeks ago and now, one police warning later, much to my chagrin have attempted to replace the bulb. Easy right...LOL?

After visiting 3 auto parts store to no avail I went into the dealers parts center with the offending light which was easy to remove, if you're an amazingly strong elfin waif of course. This feat was accomplished by my boyfriend's strength, my small hands, a compact mirror along with instructions found on the internet (http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-Headl...-on-2005-Prius). I was so proud to have been able to bring in the bulb and was expecting to overpay at least three times as much as the $10 average price of bulbs at the auto parts stores. As I was given the price I stood and stared waiting for the guy to quit joking around. After several moments of this faceoff I realized he was serious and wondered how this guy was able to tell me a light bulb was $159 with the tax and keep a straight face. I found that exact bulb online NEW for $49.99 on ebay (Toyota Prius 06-09 Philips D4R XenEco Xenon BULB) and a similar bulb at 2 for $49.99 (http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/hipexed4rhid.html). I'm going for the twofor since I'm pretter sure I'll be replacing the passenger side soon.

Just hoping this fixes the problem and isn't like the ones described above being a constant intermittant problem.

Hope this helps those who'd rather do it themselves. I can't see how the deler can justify charging so much for a lousy bulb and add insult to injury by charging labor when two non-mechanical people were able to access the bulb on their own within 15-20 minutes with just a screw driver to remove the dust cover. Which by the way removing the dust cover is the only instruction given in the owners manual. Everything else was removable by hand but the online instruction were what did the trick.

First off I own a 2007

First off I own a 2007 Prious Touring model with 60,00 miles and originally purchased it to "save money". I had a friend notice recently that my headlight was out but when I checked it there was no problem. That was weeks ago and now, one police warning later, much to my chagrin have attempted to replace the bulb. Easy right...LOL?

After visiting 3 auto parts store to no avail I went into the dealers parts center with the offending light which was easy to remove, if you're an amazingly strong elfin waif of course. This feat was accomplished by my boyfriend's strength, my small hands, a compact mirror along with instructions found on the internet (http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-Headl...-on-2005-Prius). I was so proud to have been able to bring in the bulb and was expecting to overpay at least three times as much as the $10 average price of bulbs at the auto parts stores. As I was given the price I stood and stared waiting for the guy to quit joking around. After several moments of this faceoff I realized he was serious and wondered how this guy was able to tell me a light bulb was $159 with the tax and keep a straight face. I found that exact bulb online NEW for $49.99 on ebay (Toyota Prius 06-09 Philips D4R XenEco Xenon BULB) and a similar bulb at 2 for $49.99 (http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/hipexed4rhid.html). I'm going for the twofor since I'm pretter sure I'll be replacing the passenger side soon.

Just hoping this fixes the problem and isn't like the ones described above being a constant intermittant problem.

Hope this helps those who'd rather do it themselves. I can't see how the deler can justify charging so much for a lousy bulb and add insult to injury by charging labor when two non-mechanical people were able to access the bulb on their own within 15-20 minutes with just a screw driver to remove the dust cover. Which by the way removing the dust cover is the only instruction given in the owners manual. Everything else was removable by hand but the online instruction were what did the trick.

I just finished replacing

I just finished replacing the driver side HID on our 2006 Prius. We also own a 2001 and 2005 that have done fine with 190k miles between them, so I am suprised to see the amount of difficulty everyone is having. Using a mirror and being astounded with the work my dentist does while seeing everything in reverse, I got the bulb replaced in about 45 minutes, counting the 20 minutes travel to Advanced Auto parts. I bought a $23 bulb. After reading these posts, I now wish I had found a "better" bulb. I found that inverting the rubber boot helped in getting it into place, then pushed and prodded it into position. We used to take gallbladders out in much the same way, but never had to put one back!

2007 Prius Touring with same

2007 Prius Touring with same problem. Does anyone see a pattern here? Most of us have the passenger side headlight going on again/off again. Was asked if It went out when I hit bumps or went over railroad tracks. NO, there is no pattern to it.
    I agree, this is a Toyota problem, did not look to see if in there line up of cars it is only the Prius that is doing this.

They better get on track, lots more brand name hybrid cars coming to the showrooms near us.

after reading all of the

after reading all of the entries regarding the 2006 HID headlamps I called the Customer Experience Center at Corporate Toyota.
    The agent was very respectful. He told me that since last year's complaints about the Hight density lamps,,, they did research and determined it was a problem specific to the bulbs and not to the central computer module. They don't feel the module should be replaced but said that they did reimburse people who intially had the central module replaced. Now they have reduced the cost of the High Intensity light to be comparable to a normal halogen head light. It appears I will have to pay for labor to replace the bulb. I have been told that in order to have any future follow up support from Toyota regarding my headlights... I will have to go to a dealership to have it replaced. I have a call in to one of my local dealership's Service Manager. The other dealership I went to over the weekend did not tell me anything about the Customer Support Program for the 2006 Prius HID headlamps concerns.
    I'll let you know what happens. If you have this concern too, I recommend you call Corp Toyota Customer Service Center at 1-800-331-4331

I have the same problem with

I have the same problem with the driver's side headlights on my 2008 Prius. It kept turning off, and then would go on when I turned the headlights off, and then on. I had it replaced (about $350) about 6 months ago. Three months ago, the brights quit working completely on the driver's side--they work fine on the passenger's side. I am not sure what to do. If you have any ideas, contact me at svirkler@fbibuildings.com.

Thanks for all your good

Thanks for all your good comments here.

Mine: 2005 with HID driver side lamp out

When I remove rubber boot I see some kind of silver metal cap over the lamp base and can't seem to get that off of the lamp base. Trying to work this from the top so may need to take bumper cover off, etc.. and remove entire lamp assy as dealer suggests. Is there a site or instruction for this process?

TIA.

Answering myself. there is a

Answering myself. there is a video on youtube on how to take the bumper off to replace the driver side lamp. Question: Has anyone replaced a 2005 driver side HID from the top and NOT taken the bumper off? thanks in advance.

We are having the same

We are having the same problem with our 2006 Prius. We love the car but were astounded by the dealerships price of $350.00 to replace the passenger headlight. Any luck confronting Toyota?