+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

My 2007 had intermittent

My 2007 had intermittent failure of the driver's side headlight near 50k. I drive with the headlights on all the time. Dealer got Toyota to supply both new bulbs ($335 each), but I had to pay over $200 labor for the replacement. I have the next to the top line model and would never have chosen it had I noticed the HID lights (which everyone hates to see coming). Should be a delete option at least. Dealer said the "computer" which operates the lights would be over $600 if it needed to be replaced. Remember when you could get a complete headlamp for under $10?

As delivered, the headlights were awful. I had them aligned when the bulbs were replaced and they are now the best lights I have ever had. So check the alignment if they are not doing the job.

It does appear that this is design or manufacturing defect, otherwise we can only think it is a good way to wring out a few more $$ and much owner anger. I have been a solid Toyota man since 1985, but this gives me pause.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

yup, that much.. mine for a

yup, that much.. mine for a 05 was $350 at the dealership.. and it is burning out when it starts goingoff by itself.. save you tax rebate for the other light bulB!

After reading all the

After reading all the comments about the headlights on the Prius, this looks like a class-action suit just waiting to happen. We have been experiencing the same problem with the lights going off & one for a few months on our 2006 Prius. We have taken the car to the dealer twice and had a bulb replaced but they said they could not find any other problems with the headlights. They said they thought there might be a recall from Toyota re: the headlights but they were not sure. We found these comments after doing some on-line searching before calling the dealer for the third time. We will be showing the dealer all the comments we found from people having the same problems and see if they are willing to replace at no cost.

Have the same problem with

Have the same problem with my 2006 Prius. Took it the dealer and htey wanted $300.00 each to replace the headlights. The car had less than 37000 miles on it. Now my wife tells me the passanger light is going out again with 46000 miles in it. If I had known of this headlight issue and the cost for a headlightI would never have purchased the car. I have owned 6 different Toyota's in my life. All have been brand new. I still am driving a 1991 Celica with 210,000 miles on it. This headlight issue on the Prius is a terrible design or a very bad technical problem with Toyota designers. This light problem should be a recall issue by Toyota. If the problem is not resolved, as much as I like Toyota's, I will never buy another one. Add me to any list of unsatisfied Prius owners.

Have the same problem with my 2006 Prius. Took it the dealer and htey wanted $300.00 each to replace the headlights. The car had less than 37000 miles on it. Now my wife tells me the passanger light is going out again with 46000 miles in it. If I had known of this headlight issue and the cost for a headlightI would never have purchased the car. I have owned 6 different Toyota's in my life. All have been brand new. I still am driving a 1991 Celica with 210,000 miles on it. This headlight issue on the Prius is a terrible design or a very bad technical problem with Toyota designers. This light problem should be a recall issue by Toyota. If the problem is not resolved, as much as I like Toyota's, I will never buy another one. Add me to any list of unsatisfied Prius owners.

I also have a headlight that

I also have a headlight that went out a few nights ago. My 2008 Prius has only 18,000 miles on it. I was shocked at what the mechanic has to do in order to change the bulb but I was even more shocked that the headlight has went out in only 7 months. I do not have the cost of replacement yet. I will pick it up today.

Although I must have missed

Although I must have missed the distinction in the initial discussion and comments, it appears that this is entirely about HID headlights that come with the Prius package #4, 5 and 6. I bought the package #3 2009 Prius, and it appears that it uses the commonly available headlamps, which can be replaced with blue or bright white higher intensity bulbs if desired by merely twisting them out as you do on most cars. I checked under the hood, the left side looks pretty easy to replace, the left side has little room, pretty darn tight, but I was able to feel around and reach it by hand, which is all that's needed pop it out. I might have to remove a panel or air vent to make it easier to get to if my paws are too large. What surprises me, is that for years, the entire headlight assembly could be removed from Camrys, Corollas, etc., by removing one fastener, and then use the heel of your hand to "whump" it in a forward motion, and the entire headlight assembly would pop out, almost seemed too easy. That's not an option on these HID headlights apparently. Darn if I'd pay the labor to replace these bulbs, I'd get familiar with a #2 phillips screwdriver and buy a $10 manual or find a web link that gives pretty good directions. For the guy that said we should have bought an American car, I would have, the Chevy EV1, but their primary interest was in building vehicles that could tow 10,000 lbs and all that stuff. After owning a Chevy Monza (read - Vega) and a Chevy Citation, both of which were a disaster, and after an Uncle of mine owned a Corvair years ago, it will take a LOT to get me back into an American owned car. If I had to change anything on the Prius, the AMERICAN Toyota organization, which calls some of the decisions on this car, need to put fully adjustable seats in these cars like everyone else is doing now, and let the seat go back another 2 inches, which shoudl be a cakewalk and cost virtually nothing more. Geeze, even my brother's Cobalt that costs $10k less, has seats that'll go back further and offers more leg room. Who is making these decisions at Toyota, a bunch of $!@%## midgets? Whoever it is, needs to be fired, there are as many complaints about front legroom in these cars from drivers over 6' tall, as there are about the HID lights.

2006 Prius at 50,000 miles:

2006 Prius at 50,000 miles: Noticed drivers side headlight out but was on again when checked later. Now at 56,000 miles, same headlight is going in and out about once every couple weeks but is always fixed by turning lights off and on again. Haven't even checked local dealer for replacement cost but I'm glad I found this forum in time to warn me!!!! Put my name on any list to get Toyota moving on this.

same problem as the rest of

same problem as the rest of you all. when i called the local dealer there was no mention of a possible issue across all cars with HID lights. i have an 05 package #7 with 23000 miles (not much driving in my opinion) and this is a real disappointment. toyota should step up to the plate if this is so common. i would have thought my platinum warranty would have helped but no go from the dealership here. any advice is appreciated