+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Who Killed the Electric Car?

For those who are interested in gaining a better understanding about the demise of my former car: The General Motors EV1, the ultimate hybrid:

I highly recommend that you see the new movie "Who Killed the Electric Car" being released by Sony Classic Pictures. It is opening in a few cities this month and will follow elsewhere soon.

I saw a draft cut of WKtEC at the Sundance Film Festival and highly recommend it for anyone who:
    - likes cars
    - likes fast cars
    - likes efficient cars
    - likes cars that are efficient AND fast
    - likes clean air
    - drives (whether you like it or not)
    - hates war
    - likes alternative energy
    - hates to go to the gas station
    - hates getting their car serviced
    - loves hybrids
    - hates hybrids
    - loves Michigan
    - hates Michigan
    or:
    - cares if other people do any of the above

It shows a lot of actual footage of the EV1 and other production electric vehicles that were built and then destroyed by all the major auto manufacturers. In an interesting way, it discusses why these vehicles were killed and why we need or don't need them from perspectives ranging from Enviromentalists, car enthusiasts, liberals, conservatives, to an ex-CIA director.

From this movie, you will get a better understanding of why we get such pathetic performance (MPG and acceleration) from today's hybrids. You'll be able to understand why there are so few hybrid options available (no sunroofs, mini-vans, wagons, convertibles, diesel hybrids, sports cars, etc) and why there are so few models available from US or European manufacturers.

The following is the list of opening locations that I took from another list:
    -------------------------------------------
    "Who Killed the Electric Car" www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com

June 28

New York:

- Angelika

Los Angeles:

- Arclight,
    - NuWilshire,
    - AMC Ontario,

June 30

- Regal Edwards South Coast (Costa Mesa)
    - Laemmle Pasadena
    - Laemmle Town Center (Encino)

July 7

Chicago:

- Pipers
    - Renaissance
    - CineArts Evanston

If you see this, let us all know what you think.

Just saw the poster for this movie at my local theatre, and have been reading up on the film. Will go and see it this month. Thanks for the link.

My husband and I have attended Sundance a few times with various projects, but we missed this year. My apologies again, Ex EV1 driver, for the misunderstanding regarding the Rav 4 EV on another thread. I really didn't have a CLUE about the issues of electronic cars, and the systematic destruction of this technology.

What's terrific about this board is that we can learn from each other...and let people know about the options available to us. Appreciate all of your input.

I will never be able to go to see the film, cause i'm in Spain. But i'm amazing. We are being ripped off by governments, petro companies... it would be fantastic use a electric car, isn't it?
    Congratulations to us citizens that have lots of possibilities with ethanol, biodiesel... Enjoy it

It's not only eletric cars.... we all ripped by big corpporate and goverments by blocking our access to FREE and renewable energies. Yes, we can live in a modern electronic societies without burning fosil fuels or nuclear.

It's time for us to weak up and asking our goverment to take action for the sake of our coming generations.

Who Killed the Electric car is opening in a lot of cities this weekend. I highly recommend you see it. See www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com for locations where it is showing.

Sadly, I think the timing and order of events played a role. Electric cars seemed so "out there" when they were introduced, b/c plugging in was deemed "inconvenient."

Now, hybrids are everywhere, and we see they work and require no special actions (other than remembering where the heck the gas station is).

I think the next jump will be plug-in hybrids (especially if Toyta signs on to a fully-waranteed plug-in).

Get people to like that, and a fully electric car would be an easier sell.

Seen this on the Lou Dobbs show a while back and found the article to be very biased and misleading, California demanded electric cars, GM built them, But nobody wanted one, GM would build more if they could sell them and make a profit, There is no conspirancy here between big oil and Detroit, Lets get real.

Not true - when they "killed the electric car" they had a waiting list of over 5,000 people waiting for their cahnce to get one.

Big difference between hybrids and electric cars. The car companies actually allowed people to buy the hybrids. They never allowed anyone to buy their electric cars (with the exception of Toyota who did offer the RAV4EV for sale for a few months).

How can anyone believe a company that builds only a few cars to sell but doesn't actually sell them yet claims that no one would buy them?

Then, why would they arrest a couple of overly-passionate customers (when was the last time GM actually had any passionate customers?) for trying to save the cars?

You've all got to see the movie instead of just hearing (and regurgitating) GM's spin of the story.

Yes GM had a list of 5000 customers looking and of those only 50 willing to commit to a lease, That left 4950 customers who opted out.

GM spent over 1 billion dollars to develope the EV1 plus money to market and incintives to create a demand for the car yet only 800 cars were leased over a 4 year period.

So, How do you stay in business leasing 800 cars after a 1 billion dollar investment?

Facts are facts, The market did not want electric cars.